Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Nothing can prepare you?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline LastS

• PS Silver Member
Nothing can prepare you?
on: June 03, 2003, 08:35:12 AM
I have a big performance on June 6th--big as in a couple thousand people--for graduation.  I have never played for such a crowd--not even close.  The most I've played for is thirty people, and that's only once or twice, and well, it's too late to get out of now, but I think I'm in over my head =[

At any rate, I've been playing this song for the last six months, with about a 90-98% accuracy rate everytime.  I'll also be playing on the same piano I've been practicing with, which takes out the nervousness associated with unfamiliarity.  However, from what I've heard advice wise, *nothing* can truly prepare you for the actual performance with all the adrenaline and nervousness.  All that you can really do is reduce those things to the minimum--which in my case, is still pretty considerably--and well, hope for the best, because it's just luck after that . . .

Is this valid advice?  If not, care to give me something better?  Because I've notice that my successes with performaces do have * a lot* to do with just plain luck.  Sometimes it's a good day, sometimes a bad one . . . is this just concentration weakness?  Any advice would be great.  I'm very scared . . .

Offline pskim

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nothing can prepare you?
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 10:34:27 AM
what SONG is it?  If it's a song, you shouldn't be so nervous because you aren't the only one in the spotlight.  If it's a piano PIECE, then that's a different story.  If you have been working on that piano PIECE, then you should be ok because your fingers should have already memorized the notes.  I find it easier to play in front of larger crowds than smaller ones.  As a performer, you should also be an actor in front of people.  Not many people will know what you are playing and if you can pretend that you didn't make any mistake even if you did, they will never take notice.  Be natural and smooth.  

What will you be playing?

Offline Celeste

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nothing can prepare you?
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 01:18:09 AM
It's good that your playing on the same piano. That seems to be the boggest thing that messes me up all the time.
I don't know about this not ever being ready, but I think a large part of it is how well you do under pressure. Some people like adreniline when they're playing and they perfrom better
Also, 90% accuracy is just fine. Of course, you probably already know that if you make a mistake just keep playing and no one will notice. Probably 75% of that thousand people have never even heard classical music before. And even classical music buffs wouldn't notice the difference if you handled the mistake smoothly.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert