Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Fingerings - Sorry!  (Read 2320 times)

Offline p_2005

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Fingerings - Sorry!
on: June 03, 2005, 12:45:29 PM
I know the Revolutionary Etude has been brought up enough times - but then, it is the first Chopin Etude I am doing, so would appreciate any help with the fingerings, particularly in bars 7-8 and 17-18.  The fingerings I'm using at the moment feel too cramped, and I am sure that they will not work when I try the piece any quicker.  Thanks.

Offline queenrock

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Fingerings - Sorry!
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:07 AM
Hi, sorry to bring up and old post but i searched for revolutionary etude and this came up and i have the same question about what fingerings people use for bars 7-8?

Thanks for any help,

Peter.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:56:31 AM
Chopin's own fingering for measure 7:

RH: [2 1] 4 [3 2 1] 4 [3 2 1] 4 [3 2 1 4 3]
LH:  4  5  1 [2 3 4] 2 [3 4 5] 1 [2 3 4 1 2]

This, of course, only tells you what finger touches the key - it doesn't tell you how to best coordinate them.  It should be easy.  If not, you are doing something wrong.

Offline queenrock

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:23:58 PM
Chopin's own fingering for measure 7:

RH: [2 1] 4 [3 2 1] 4 [3 2 1] 4 [3 2 1 4 3]
LH:  4  5  1 [2 3 4] 2 [3 4 5] 1 [2 3 4 1 2]

This, of course, only tells you what finger touches the key - it doesn't tell you how to best coordinate them.  It should be easy.  If not, you are doing something wrong.

Thanks a lot this is what i needed :),

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:30:34 PM
I know the Revolutionary Etude has been brought up enough times - but then, it is the first Chopin Etude I am doing, so would appreciate any help with the fingerings, particularly in bars 7-8 and 17-18.  The fingerings I'm using at the moment feel too cramped, and I am sure that they will not work when I try the piece any quicker.  Thanks.

If your fingers feel too cramped when playing those, you miss technique. The best thing to do, is not avoiding your technical flaw but working on it by doing technical etudes for those cramped fingers.

gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline dnephi

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 08:41:55 PM
Personally, I use thumbs the whole time, alternating hands.

LRLRLRLRLRLLRRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR with some modifications, as I have indicated, to fit the passages better.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert