Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: group piano methods, older students  (Read 1998 times)

Offline urbanspice

• PS Silver Member
group piano methods, older students
on: June 11, 2005, 11:04:01 PM
These classes that I'm teaching are introductory, eight week classes so it's pretty much just the basics and that's it. But I just can't find\decide on a decent method or series. If it weren't for carpal tunnel I would write my own, stuff... I'm searching, far and wide for a good series (not necessarily made for group lessons), that I can use to teach older students (12+). For my younger students, I've gotten a John Thompson, easiest piano course which teaches note by note, which I like very much. Am I asking to much by trying to find a method similar for older students that teaches note by not and does not have pictures of dancing bears and monsters... or that isn't pink. I've have collected half a dozen methods that have pretty big flaws, like using positions or moving to fast or they cost too much or don't have enough material and I'll have to supplement (which will cost too much! The bosses say my limit for each student is $15). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm tempted to examine the mayron cole method, if any one has used it please let me know what you think... so, suggest away...