Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Transitions  (Read 1362 times)

Offline key of c

• PS Silver Member
Transitions
on: June 15, 2005, 07:37:32 PM
What is the best way to transition f minor chord being the last chord in my song
to G Major , firs chord of new song?

Offline 6ft 4

• PS Silver Member
Re: Transitions
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 08:11:16 PM
c major could be the pivot chord couldnt it?

i mean its in both f minor and g major i think

i.e. the dominant of f minor and the subdominant of g major.

and dominants and subdominants are easy to sound good so u should be fine.
I wish i was what i was when i wanted to be who i am now.

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 08:19:58 PM
for another quick transition, how about f# dim  -  f, f# dim, G?   
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline greyrune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 08:41:43 PM
yeah those all work, i'd go Fm, Ghalf dim, C, D7, G.  But it's all a matter of taste really.
I'll be Bach

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 03:18:59 AM
I think we're all assuming that you are planning on playing a quick set of progressions to transition from one piece to the next?

You wouldn't want tp pivot on C because it is not the dominant of the new key, which is what is important.  If you play a CM chord, the ear wants it to resolve back to f-, not GM.  This is where greyrune's D7 comes in, to establish the new tonality of GM.  Another possiblity, if you don't opt for the secondary dominant, is to use a secondary leading, as in fm > CM > f#half dim. > GM.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 10:21:09 PM
Just simply go F, C, G lol ;D It still works, simple and I find it sounds good lol try it.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert