Piano Forum

Poll

Of these, which composer was the greatest?

J.S. Bach
10 (29.4%)
Mozart
2 (5.9%)
Beethoven
13 (38.2%)
Liszt
8 (23.5%)
Wagner
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Which composer was the greatest?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline pianoguy

• PS Silver Member
Which composer was the greatest?
on: June 15, 2005, 10:23:46 PM
     Just wondering, who do you think is the greatest composer of these? Comments are welcome, but you don't have to reply...
Music is God's language. When he speaks, listen.

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which composer was the greatest?
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 11:36:09 PM
Liszt and Wagner too? Why them?

Offline Goldberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:41:58 AM
For me it was between Bach and Wagner.

And frankly, Bach won out... 8)

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:50:53 AM
Perhaps the poll should not read "the greatest" but rather:  if you were stranded on a desert island, and the only music you had was an ipod containing works of only one composer, who would it be? 

For me, Beethoven is the only one whose music I could "live with" forever.  He also had more variety than many of the others. 
So much music, so little time........

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 04:58:22 AM
Perhaps the poll should not read "the greatest" but rather:  if you were stranded on a desert island, and the only music you had was an ipod containing works of only one composer, who would it be? 

For me, Beethoven is the only one whose music I could "live with" forever.  He also had more variety than many of the others. 

But the great thing of an iPod is that you can have the complete Liszt piano works, Beethoven piano works, Mozart piano works, Bach piano works, Prokofiev piano works, Scriabin piano works, Alkan piano works and the Chopin piano works all on one iPod :)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:56 PM
Beethoven's Music Is Not sh*t

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 07:42:20 PM

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:22:14 AM
chopinzo is always the best

it's so funny to read these things from back in the days

now the iPod is more or less discontinued
ikr. like if you read in 2001. The flat screen TV has just been invented! and I'm like *bruh, the curved TV is old
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Offline jacobsterling

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 07:49:42 AM
Bach is, and always has been the greatest composer who has ever lived for me. But I agree that the thread title isn't necessarily the best. I'd rather state this:

If I where to live the rest of my life on a deserted Island, and there is only one composer I am required to listen to, that composers would most surely be Bach.

BW,
Jacob

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:24 PM
Phew! What a subject...

The way I see it:

Mozart single-handedly turned events over, in all genres.
With him, what we call the repertoire was created.
He became the first composer in history to be continously played. First in his own lifetime, then in the following century (the 19th), then in the next (the 20th) and is still played (the 21st). And this is in every genre. Opera, church music, symphony, concerto, chamber music, duo-sonatas, piano music, songs.
One couldn't argue that he is superior as a composer to Bach, except possibly in one respect: the absolute mastery of each and every genre and instrument possible and available. Mozart stands alone in history there.

Nevertheless, historical events played their role in his posthumous fame. As often said, the french revolution created, politically or idealogically, a middle class throughout Europe, who strongly yearned to up themselves culturally and intellectually. In other words: more people had more money, time and interest in participating in what was previously more exclusive to the ruling upper classes in society. In music, taking interest in the most highly regarded  composers and instrumentalists fit this desire. And none more so than the newly deceased Mozart.

Beethoven follows. He had the benefit of being able to build on, learn from and get inspired by Mozart. And of course Haydn, and his pianistic favourite, Clementi.
In short, he had one great genius to look up to. Mozart didn't have that.
Mozart discovered Bach late in his life. Beethoven always knew about Bach's WTC, but only later in life started to incorporate polyphonic lessons learnt from that into his own composing.

Nevertheless, Beethoven stands as the very center of gravity in music history.
He can not be said to be as diverse in genres as Mozart. But where he is most supreme, in symphony, concerto, string quartet and piano sonata, he not only created "perfect" works of art: he virtually goes as far as to virtually finish these forms off.
I firmly believe that no musician after Beethoven can escape his influence, consiously or unconsiously. Whether you be a Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen, Franz Liszt, Johannes Brahms, Wagner, Schostakovich, Prokofiev or Sviatosvlav Richter, you're still identifying, or the audience is identifying, with the idea of the "demonic virtuoso" or the "demonic master". And the original "demon" is Beethoven. Not only in composition, but also in "image".

Bach fits into all of this of course, but the particular historical "problem" here is that he lived in an era where musical performances were supposed to always consist of new compositions. Fame consisted more of reputed merits and current compositional and improvisational skill, rather than repertoirinal knowledge. Hence, Bach was "rediscovered" during the romantic era's preoccupation with repertoire. In Bach's case, the 1840's.  

This is only shortly discussing three famous names.
I like a sentence I read in some book. It went something like: "musical mastery can never be improved upon with subsequent generations. It can only find new expressions."
So, Wagner operas might be louder in decibels and require a larger orchestra and bigger-voiced singers than Mozart's operas, but are they greater compositions?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 07:13:51 AM

Mozart single-handedly turned events over, in all genres.
With him, what we call the repertoire was created.
He became the first composer in history to be continously played.
Er.. that was Corelli.  Still, as I'm here, Mozart gets my vote (obviously).
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert