Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Good musicians make good cooks?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Good musicians make good cooks?
on: August 06, 2003, 03:53:45 AM
I always listened to this in the Conservatoire and it was truth. Like in"Aria and pasta", where they're all opera singers. But I didn't listen something like this among the famous pianists.Have you?
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline zoolander

• PS Silver Member
Re: Good musicians make good cooks?
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 12:23:38 AM
I can cook a frozen-pizza and maybe boil an egg!  8)

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 10:28:30 AM
Well, that's a good start,  ::)I guess...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 01:39:33 AM
Gee, I hope my musical abilities are more developed than my cooking abilities   8)
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 07:01:20 AM
So, any cooks-pianists out there? Helloooo.....? :'(
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline S.Peterson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 10:46:59 PM
Well for what it's worth, I can cook but I don't do it professionally (if that's what you're looking for).
Sara

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 04:36:14 AM
No,Sara,I didn't mean profesionally. All my friends,good musicians, love to cook, and they actually do it very well.When we get together and cook something, there's always kind of competition, everybody wants to prepare the most exotic or interesting food. As we all studied abroad, we met a lot of foreigners, so, for example, I can cook a russian soup, "bortsh", I'm well awared about corean food and I know italian cooking pretty well. For me and my friends and colleagues cooking is always an interesting issue.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 06:57:26 PM
Definately!!!!

I love main dish cooking, and I am studying to be a concert pianist.
My wife is studying pro violin, and she almost dropped out of school to enter the Cordon Bleu and specialize in deserts and bakery.
2 people this year graduated from composition, only to enter cooking school to be profesional chefs... and a friend violinist of mine makes an incredible italian food, and a friend cellist makes incredible mexican food.... and. Well, thats enough. In my opinion, good musicians make good cooks...
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 10:57:22 AM
Yes, and why not? A good musican will have  refined aural  perception and surely other sensory perception including taste and smell which can be just as subtle. Good cooking is motivated by the joy of eating good food and as we can improve playing through regular and committed practice so can cooking techniques be improved and developed through frequent use. Another parallel is the desire to create which is shared by both the good cook and the good musician.  Even the language used to describe the pleasure of taste and the pleasure of listening to music are interchangeable. We can talk about the high notes of an aroma or even the textural problems of a sauce. The good cook and the good musician are both creative artists in the pursuit of beauty and enjoyment.

Robert.

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 02:13:14 AM
Sorry, Robert: what does "aural perception" means exactly? Never heard about it... Interesting reply, anyway...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2003, 03:47:57 AM
I can cook a russian soup, "bortsh"

Mmmm... I love cold bortsh.

I'm well awared about corean food and I know italian cooking pretty well

Hmm... Never heard of Corean food.  I've seen Korean food, but not Corean ;)

Well, I guess I am pretty decent in the kitchen.  I also wash dishes well.  I can cook a variety of Canadian, Italian, and Korean foods that are actually fit for human consumption, as they do reflect my background, and I've been eating them for a long time :).
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2003, 05:55:10 PM
xenon:
Aren't you familiar with "la cuisine coreenne?" (Sorry font doesn't have l'accent aigu.
Ned

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2003, 10:24:21 PM
Well, xenon, evidently I'm not English speaking :'(...sorry. Tell me about Canadian food, never heard about it. What are the most famous dishes in it?
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2003, 08:06:56 AM
la_carrenio2003>  Pas de probleme.  Je suis désolé, c'était seulement pour l'amusement. :)  Je sais que c'est difficulte d'apprendre une autre langue.  Ma faute.

Pardonnez mon français, mon (ou ma?) grammaire est terrible!

Ned> Ah oui, la cuisine coréenne.  Mais, ma langue maternelle est anglais.  Ma mère est coréenne aussi.

Sorry about the French, guys, I don't mean to be rude to the other Non-French speaking people.

Well, la_carrenio2003, I am about to bring you to the exciting world of Canadian food!  Let me see... there's cold cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, pancakes (w/ Candian Maple syrup), and beaver meat :P  Beaver meat is vey Canadian, n'est-ce pas?

Well, I'm sure Canadian food doesn't have as much culture as French food.  Other than that, were you joking about questioning famous Canadian dishes? :P
-Xenon

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2003, 04:59:16 PM
No,xenon, I were not joking.I like talking about food, it's exciting the variety of dishes all around the world, it's a very interesting part of the different cultures,that's why I posted this here.

P.S.: Thank God I understood what you wrote in French, but I'm Spanish speaking,anyway... ::)
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2003, 05:48:26 AM
Spanish?  Oh great... the language I decided not to take at school.  I thought that you were French.  :P
-Xenon

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2003, 08:40:58 AM
Venezolana, mucho gusto ;) Our "national dish" is "el pabellón criollo", that means something like "the creole flag": black beans, fried plantains -but very ripe,then the flavour is sweet-, larded cow meat and rice,everything in one dish. Not mixed, of course: it looks like a flag. Cubans have something alike: the "gris" -grey-, black beans and rice, but mixed.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2003, 07:32:50 PM
We have the same in mexico (mexicano, mucho gusto)... except that instead of rice, we have tortilla cut up into little triangles and mixed with the beans. The rice is served in another dish.
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert