Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Re: Carnegie Hall debut!!  (Read 3879 times)

Offline martin_s

• PS Silver Member
Re: Carnegie Hall debut!!
on: April 29, 2002, 12:49:31 PM
Wow! Well done mate!

Sorry, I am on the wrong side of the pond so I can't come and listen...
Best of luck though!

-Martin

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 05:58:17 PM
Congratulations Robert!!!

That explains why you have been a bit quiet on the forum the last months. Hard work at the other keyboard...

Unfortunately I am also on the wrong side but I really wish you good luck!
Maybe we could broadcast the recital here at Piano Forum? That would be cool!

Offline Pianorak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 10:34:09 PM
Robert - How absolutely splendid and no doubt well deserved. Congratulations! Shall be with you in spirit. Regards - Fred (from the UK)

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 02:49:47 PM
Wow, congrats, I hope you get a HUGE audience and play greatly... you deserve it. I'm sorta stuck here down under for a while yet to come, but goodluck. :)
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ

Offline rmc7777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 05:26:12 PM
Robert, this is great news.  Congratulations!  If you can record the recital and put it on the web, that would be great.

Regards,
Richard

Offline rmc7777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2002, 05:27:21 PM
Robert,

After your Carnegie Hall debut, please share your experiences with us.  I'm sure many would like to hear what it was like.  Thanks.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ClassicalPiano2002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2002, 05:01:40 AM
A MILLION CONGRATS

i dont know anyone that wouldn't want to come see one of "our own" (someone that started so small becoming so big) play.  But i can't make it even though im just upstate in New York.

But remember to play your hardest and play like no one is watching

maybe you could find a way to tape it and put it somewhere on the web.. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

congrats again

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2002, 07:53:54 AM
Holy mackerel!  Congrats!  Do you know what you will be playing yet?
So much music, so little time........

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2002, 05:25:42 AM
congrats. Thats great! what are you going to play? I live in NY so maybe I can see you in October. That would be very cool. You should broadcast it online for the other members so they don't miss out. Great job, and I hope to see you!

Offline robert_henry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 09:17:39 AM
Hi again everyone, ;)

I want to remind you guys of my debut which is only a few days away.  There are still some tickets available, and I would love to meet some of you.

Program is:

Mozart Sonata in Eb K. 282
Carl Vine Sonata
Schubert Sonata in A minor, Opus 143
--Intermission--
Eleven Etudes from 53 Studies based on Chopin Etudes

The recital should last about 1 1/2 hours.  

If you would like to purchase tickets, you can call 212-247-7800.  They are $15 general and $10 for students and seniors.

Robert Henry

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 09:33:24 AM
:)
What an incredible program!  I am indeed jealous!  I never did have the talent to do what you are doing.  I will not be able to be there, and I KNOW you will be great!!!!!   Is it going to be on any kind of radio broadcast?  We get some of the Carnegie Hall stuff broadcast "live" out here (believe it or not)!

Do they say "break a leg" in piano recitals?

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 11:42:14 PM
I saw your debut performance at Weil! Good concert. I especially liked your interpretation of the Vine sonata. Your rhythmic and tonal control was great. I'd really like to play this piece. You also have a nice feeling for Mozart, a very gentle, sonorous touch. How'd you feel about it? Did you like playing at Carnegie? It's to bad the competition didn't put you in the larger hall. I hate playing at Weil...the backstage is pretty gross, right? Well, best of luck with the engagements that are sure to follow and keep us posted with your other dates.

Offline robert_henry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2002, 01:31:11 AM
Colette, I would have enjoyed meeting you.  That unfortunately was one of the worst performances of my career.   :'( I generally don't get nervous, but I couldn't help it this time, and it really hurt my playing.  I just couldn't calm down.  Lack of sleep didn't help either.  And the hall seemed surprisingly different from my dress rehearsal.  What really bothers me is how well prepared technically and mentally I was for that performance, only to have it fall apart on the day of the concert.

I will pick up from here and move on.  I'm sorry that was your first impression of my playing.

Robert Henry

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2002, 07:02:05 AM
Robert,
As I had said to you, I'm sorry that I couldn't make it.  I'm in the midwest (Iowa) and it just wasn't possible to make the trip.  Sorry.  I'm sorry that you are so upset about your performance.  When I do a solo at my church, I rant and rave for days, and I listen to the tape of it over and over and over, and I pick it apart and analyze it.  Then I get depressed and go eat a carton of Cool Whip.  You get the picture.  Then I regain my focus and my reason for playing.  I'm not trying to coddle you or anything, but I bet that you just might feel better in a few weeks.  Seriously.  And if you happen to have a recording of it, wait a whole week, at least, before listening to it.  That's what my teacher advised me to do last time I played.  When I did actually listen to it, I thought it was awesome!  If I would have listened to it immediately after performance, I would've become really depressed and I would've eaten a carton of Cool Whip!  Your feelings just might pass.  At your level, it's only natural to address the fine details in the music.  But when we analyze a performance, I think that we have to FORCE ourselves to take a step back and look at the overall picture.  So those were just some of my thoughts.  We all would still like to see it broadcast somewhere!
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2002, 08:26:55 AM
I'm with Janice.  I'll just bet you are being too hard on yourself.  You may not have had the perfect performance you envisioned, but I'll bet it came off just fine to the listeners.  I really really sympathize with you on the nervous thing, though.  Once something like that gets going, it's impossible to stop it. - and I don't play anywhere near your capabilities!  

You'll be great at your next recital, I'll just bet!

I have to think about the Cool Whip thing,though.

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2002, 09:04:10 PM
All I can say is that we all get nervous and we hardly ever perform as well as we could or should or expect to. However, I'm not going to say don't be hard on yourself, because I know that i place high standards on my playing and strive for perfection in performance, and whenever i am not pleased i don't just say "i tried the best that i could and that's all that counts." I just don't think in those terms. I use the ill fated concert as a positive critique (after the intitial depression period) and make it an abosolute goal to fix whatever problems (nerve wise, mentally, technically...) i can and assure myself that i know i can play better and i will play better the next time. If you can play with as much seeming composure as you did at carnegie  with so much pressure---all those judges/teachers/musicians breathng down your back, just think, when you're free and concertizing it'll be a breeze, and a fun breeze at that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert