Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Next Chopin Etude?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline kaveh

• PS Silver Member
Next Chopin Etude?
on: December 10, 2005, 06:10:45 PM
Hi,

Have just finished learning Chopin etude 10-12.  When I say finished, I mean to say I can play it HT at a respectable speed, though there's still an awful lot of polishing to do before it's anywhere near performable.

One of my ambitions is to learn them all, so I'm quite keen to start my next one, but I'm not sure which.

I'm looking for one which is relatively more challenging for the right hand, and which differs completely in tone/character from the revolutionary.

Could anyone suggest where to go next?

Thanks,
Kaveh

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Re: Next Chopin Etude?
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 07:22:07 PM
25/2

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 10:26:47 PM
I've only been playing piano seriously for a little over a year, but my teacher is having me work on 25 - 1. Perhaps that's a good place to go. He said we'll probably do 25 - 2 as the next one, maybe then either like 25 - 12 or 10 - 4...so maybe that will give you some idea.

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:10:53 AM
if you want the challenging one maybe you can try the 25/11..
actually, it is left hand etude (the melody comes out in the LH), but since the RH is difficult, so you can try it...because the RH should be very fast and clear, singing also.

anyway that is only  :Dmy opinion

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend 25/11 to someone who still needs an "awful lot of polishing" on 10/12...

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 12:22:49 PM
I wouldn't recommend 25/11 to someone who still needs an "awful lot of polishing" on 10/12...

oh sorry i dont read the ' someone who still needs an awful lot of polishing' ;)

Offline kaveh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 02:58:02 PM
Yeah, I thought I'd save the winter wind for later  ;)

Speaking of 10-12, one pianist told me it's a study for LH and pedal, while another has told me that you should never use the sustaining pedal in this piece.

Any comments?

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 03:38:30 PM
Why only the Chopin etudes?  There are many, many other fine etudes out there. 

Aside from the obvious and popular ones (Schumann, Rach, Prok, Scriabin, Saint-Saens, Liszt, Godowsky, Ligeti, Alkan, Stravinsky, Bartok), perhaps take a look at the etudes by Moszkowski, Gottschalk, Henselt, Gershwin, MacDowell, Grondahl, Busoni, Dohnányi, Liapunov....   <-- all great stuff!
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 07:34:39 PM
How about Chopin 10/8..?  Pretty taxing for the right hand, and nothing like 10/12 in character. 

Teresa

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 10:10:05 PM
Revolutionary is low on the spectrum of difficulty, people... there are only a few Chopin etudes that are easier than it.

I recommend 10-9, 10-3, 25-2, 10-6, or 25-7. Those are good places to start. Pick one or two and go from there.

Phil

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 10:43:23 PM
Don't choose the 25/11. It is pretty hard to substain all the stamina in your fingers all the way through. Definitly one of the hardest of his study.

Offline kaveh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:39:23 PM

~Who can resist the elegant majesty or sombre magnificence?

Revolutionary is low on the spectrum of difficulty, people... there are only a few Chopin etudes that are easier than it.

I recommend 10-9, 10-3, 25-2, 10-6, or 25-7. Those are good places to start. Pick one or two and go from there.

I think you may be somewhat exaggerating the relative ease.  I worked on the Revolutionary in painstaking detail, putting it together, piecemeal, letting it sink in, over a period of several weeks.  I still can't play it consistently faster than MM130, or with all the articulation and dynamics.

Taking your advice, I started 10-9 last night.  I learnt half the etude, at full speed, hands together in little under an hour.

So I suggest that you may be downplaying the relative difficulty of the Revolutionary.

But in any case, thanks for the suggestions  8)

Offline brahmsian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:26 PM
Taking your advice, I started 10-9 last night. I learnt half the etude, at full speed, hands together in little under an hour.

THE most underrated Chopin etude IMO
Chuck Norris didn't lose his virginity- he systematically tracked it down and destroyed it.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 11:53:48 PM
THE most underrated Chopin etude IMO
agree! at least MM = 96 as Chopin´s marking is not that easy (of course you cant compare it with op.10no.1,2 or op.25 no.6,8,10,11)
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 11:49:30 AM
I was told by my teacher that op10 no. 4 is the most essential chopin etude, and the best to start with. It is very hard at first, but gets easier, and with that under the belt, the others are more approachable. Op10 no.2 is also very good, but is a very long term task, and will be underspeed for a very long time but you'll get there in the end. Also op 25 no.11 is very good, but very hard on the RH, but not as scary as it looks. op25 no.12 is fasinating, and one of my favourites. Also do some of the slow ones, as they aren't to hard technically, but gives you more etudes to add to the collection

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 12:18:18 PM

Aside from the obvious and popular ones (Schumann, Rach, Prok, Scriabin, Saint-Saens, Liszt, Godowsky, Ligeti, Alkan, Stravinsky, Bartok), perhaps take a look at the etudes by Moszkowski, Gottschalk, Henselt, Gershwin, MacDowell, Grondahl, Busoni, Dohnányi, Liapunov....   <-- all great stuff!

he said, he wants to start playing another chopin etude, CHOPIN!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert