Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: First Beethoven Sonata  (Read 2403 times)

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
First Beethoven Sonata
on: January 01, 2006, 07:30:07 PM
I'm looking to start a Beethoven sonata (a complete sonata, not just one movement) Possibly grade 8 RCM, 6 ABRSM range. What one would you suggest I start with? Any works by other composers in the same sort of style would be good too.
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Re: First Beethoven Sonata
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 07:32:50 PM
I would definitely go with Op.2, No.1, in F minor. Perfect for your level.

Phil

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 07:39:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. The first 3 movements look at about the right level, fourth movement looks a little more difficult.
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:25:24 PM
I would definitely go with Op.2, No.1, in F minor. Perfect for your level.

Phil

That was the first sonata i learnd, it is reall worth spending some time with it , its fantastic and it demands respect, the 4th MVT sounds harder than it really is . Go for it.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline allthumbs

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 09:09:36 PM

I did the Op.49, No.2, Sonata in G major for my Grade 8 RCM exam, then I learned the second movement on my own. I still enjoy playing this piece.

Cheers

allthumbs :)
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:50:52 AM

I love this sonata, its one of my faves. I too will start it at some point, but the fourth movement is technically beyond me at present. The fast arps are the killer!

Offline drjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:06:58 PM
I am working on Op. 2, No. 1 right now. Have been for 6 months and will be for another 6 months as practice time is severely limited.  I started with the 4th movement and it really does come together with a lot of practice and patience and then it is quite fun to play.  I am having more trouble with the first movement as I don't really care for it. But who wants to learn only three movements of a sonata (unless that's all there is.) Jim.

Offline pianalex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:27:59 PM
op 14/2  in G

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 11:38:05 PM
op 14/2  in G

This is a good one, and not played often, but it may be a little too easy. I still stand by Op.2, No.1.

Phil

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 03:09:14 AM
Go after an opus 49 or an opus 14. I don't care if the notes look too easy for you. Beethoven's pianism isn't something to jump right into, and if you have the time it's always best to do one of the 'easier' sonatas first.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 03:22:53 AM
This is a good one, and not played often, but it may be a little too easy. I still stand by Op.2, No.1.

Phil

individual movements particular 1 & 2 rotate from grades 6-8 across various boards in the English (ABRSM) style system

If you are grade 6 under the English system I would recommend either of the op49 sonatas.

op 2 no 1 is harder than these.  If the two op 49 ones are genuinely too easy for you (which I don't think they will be) then you can cruise through them, add two extra pieces to your repertoire and then move on to the op 14 sonatas or op 2 no 1

enjoy, they are wonderful works

dmk
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 03:26:40 AM
he does make a good point. increase the repertoire.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 05:26:04 AM
Go after an opus 49 or an opus 14. I don't care if the notes look too easy for you. Beethoven's pianism isn't something to jump right into, and if you have the time it's always best to do one of the 'easier' sonatas first.

This is true, as are the statements after it. Op.49 No.2 was my first Beethoven sonata, too.

I guess it comes down to experience. My best friend plays piano as well, and his first sonata was Op.2, No.1 after about 7-8 years of playing. How long have you played, Llamaman?

Phil

Offline I Love Xenakis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 05:29:42 AM
Maybe look at the Sonatinas, or you could always go with the very popular Moonlight Sonata.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 05:41:40 AM
Maybe look at the Sonatinas, or you could always go with the very popular Moonlight Sonata.

Moonlight is almost halfway up the list of Beethoven sonatas in difficulty. That third movement is by no means easy. (Not the hardest either, but Moonlight is definitely above the Grade 6 we're looking for)

Phil

Offline pianalex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 01:00:02 PM
i disagree that 14/2 is 'easier' than 2/1,  the dev of section of i is a bit of a bugger, and iii played to speed and with full grasp of across the bar rhythms is no picnic.  The interpretative requirements are more subtle and forward looking (middle movements conscious archaism excepted) than the rather haydnesque sturm and drang of the f minor. no?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert