Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy  (Read 3727 times)

Offline betricia

• PS Silver Member
Debussy
on: January 31, 2006, 06:45:12 PM
La Fille aux cheveux Lin - I have probably spelt this incorrectly.  I love the music but am finding it difficult to learn and it has taken me 2 weeks to know the first 12 bars.  I work full time though and do not have long to practise. My question is, as an adult learner of 18 months, is this too ambitious for me? 
Thanks for any advice
Patricia
 :-\

Offline nyonyo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:53:26 PM
Yes, it can be difficult for anybody who just learn to play piano for 18 months.
Unfortunately, with Debussy, you have to play with many kinds of touch to make his pieces sound interesting. It will be very hard for a beginner to do this.

Anyway, don't give up, keep playing, eventually you will get it. ;D

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 06:57:35 PM
Yes, it can be difficult for anybody who just learn to play piano for 18 months.
Unfortunately, with Debussy, you have to play with many kinds of touch to make his pieces sound interesting. It will be very hard for a beginner to do this.

Anyway, don't give up, keep playing, eventually you will get it. ;D

Greetings.

Yes the touch and the sound quality is very important in Debussy's music. Concerning the technical difficulty it depends on what your repertoire is and etudes. It is okay if you can't get this piece yet. You can still work on it, but work on your current repertoire(unless this piece is a part of your current repertoire learning). What a mervelous piece this is. :)

Offline _tyro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:06:45 PM
If you really love it, then it's not too hard.  :)

You seem to be doing the right thing -- breaking it up into small sections.  You'll probably find it easier to learn if you really listen to yourself and pay attention to detail -- for example,  how do you keep the phrasing legato, where do you want to break the pedal,  just how well are you doing with the "calm" and "expressive" mood?    (My own copy has some grumpy notes to myself to remember to count, made when I came back to the piece after not looking at it for years.)  You will probably find it harder when you get to measure 19 (the more "anime" part).  Make sure that you're not getting tense; it's time to stop your practice session when you do.  Have you considered taking it to your teacher?

If it takes you a while to learn it well enough to play in front of someone else, well then, so what?  I have a lot of pieces like that, and I find it rewarding  just to unravel all the threads that contribute to their sound.

Enjoy it!

Offline betricia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:36:11 AM
Thank you for your advice.  i will keepe at it adn try and be as expressive as possible.
Patricia
 ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert