Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovsky piano concerto - first piano chords  (Read 5377 times)

Offline jason2711

• PS Silver Member
Tchaikovsky piano concerto - first piano chords
on: May 22, 2006, 10:31:54 AM
Hi, this isn't really a question about how to play it, more what to play.  Having just started learning this concerto I'm a little confused about the chords from bar 6 onwards.  Should the right hand part of the chord on the first beat be an octave lower as well (ie, just above the left hand, rather than more than an octave separating the two hands)?

Just a little ambigious to me, there are times such as bar 12, 13, 17-19 which would suggest it isn't played down, but it seems a little irregular...

Any help from those who know the answer to my dilemna would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky piano concerto - first piano chords
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:04:15 AM
Only the left hand down an octave. This adds depth and power to the sound, which continues throughout the bar as it is held by the pedal.

Steve  :)
Piano teacher, accompanist and soloist for over 30 years - all of them fantastic.
www.hopwood3.freeserve.co.uk

Offline jason2711

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky piano concerto - first piano chords
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:45:08 PM
thanks ;D

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert