Piano Forum

Topic: Schubert, Impromptu, Op. 142, No. 2  (Read 14921 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Schubert, Impromptu, Op. 142, No. 2
on: June 24, 2006, 08:28:56 PM
Another impromptu

Update: I deleted the CD cut (91 downloads) and replaced it with the original tape recording which has better fidelity.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert, Impromptu, Op. 142, No. 2
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:19:37 AM
Schubert has been getting quite a few hearings in this forum lately.  Here is another Impromptu, this one from Op. 142.  Comments welcome as usual.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:28:57 PM
Hi, Rahcfan! its unbeliveable, tha you got no replies after 50 downloads... hahah... ;D

Itīs very weel done imo. very nice interpretation. As I said abou t the other impromptu you posted here  last year, I think you are doing very well with Schubert. The only complaint is the piano, wich seems to be out of tune. Or maibe is it just my ears? :P

I think the melody is clear enough, but on a very high level, I would sugest to bring out the pinky notes a litle do you could listen to the melody line more, instead of a sequence of chords.

Did you ever play the 142, n3? itīs a theme with variations, I particularly enjoy them a lot.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:23:35 PM
Hi piano121,

Thanks for the nice compliment, I appreciate it.  Yeah, it's wierd that you're the first posting for this piece.  Yet I got a ton of comments on Op. 90, No. 1. 

I agree that voicing the melodic line in sequential chords is essential.   

I have a "to do" repertoire list that I'm trying to work my way through, but yes, eventually I'll cycle back to Schubert again, and will look at No. 3 as you suggested.
I'd also like to complete the remaining three Moments Musicaux, and maybe do a sonata while I'm at it.

My 1983 Baldwin L grand is being rebuilt as I write this--new Ronsen-Wurzen hammers with new shanks and flanges, new tuning pins, Mapes IG wire for the treble, and Arledge Bass Strings.  I'm hoping that these new components, recommended by a former Baldwin design engineer will make a huge difference.  I should have the piano back in a couple of weeks at worst.   Whenever you restring, tuning stability is always a problem at first until the strings stretch, so I'll have to keep after that.  Looking back, when I did my recordings, I really should have tuned the piano more frequently.  Two or three others here have remarked on that here.  I'll be more conscientious about tuning if I decide do some new recordings later on.

Thanks for commenting!

David

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:36:15 PM
yes, I can imagine it will sound great after this rebuilding, hope to listen to new recordings.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:48:29 AM
Hi,

Quite a few people have listened to this so far.  Any other comments?  Thanks.

David
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert