Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Study of Alexander Scriabin's etudes  (Read 3803 times)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Study of Alexander Scriabin's etudes
on: August 27, 2006, 01:08:37 AM
Op.8 is the 'Romantic Chopinesque' set, Op.42 the 'Middle Period Modernism' set, Op.65 the 'Scriabin Quasi-Atonality' set.

There are 26 etudes, when including Op.2 No.1, Op.49 No.1 and Op.56 No.4 besides these three sets.

I have a plethora of questions about them:

1. How would one go about learning the entire collection? Is there a prescribed learning order?

2. Which three or four would be considered the easiest?

3. Which three or four would be considered the hardest?

4. Which ones are played too often while the others go neglected?

5. Is there any particular combination of etudes in which one's prescribed technique can unlock that of another? (i.e. I have been told that the jumps and stretches of Op.8 No.12 provide a step towards the much harder Op.42 No.5)

6. Which ones are useful for events like competitions and college auditions?

Thank you so much,

Phil

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Study of Alexander Scriabin's etudes
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 09:12:15 PM
...bueller...bueller...

Phil

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 09:46:03 PM
I have a plethora of questions about them:

1. How would one go about learning the entire collection? Is there a prescribed learning order?
My teacher recorded a disc with the complete etudes. You just have to start. No. 1, 2, 3,...

2. Which three or four would be considered the easiest?
Op. 2 Nr. 1, Op. 8 Nr. 5, ...

3. Which three or four would be considered the hardest?
Op. 65, Op. 8 Nr. 9 Op. 8 Nr. 10,...

4. Which ones are played too often while the others go neglected?
Op. 8 Nr. 12 is played to often, but still beautiful, Op. 8 Nr. 1, Op. 49 Nr. 1, Op. 8 Nr. 9 are beautiful but less played

5. Is there any particular combination of etudes in which one's prescribed technique can unlock that of another? (i.e. I have been told that the jumps and stretches of Op.8 No.12 provide a step towards the much harder Op.42 No.5)
Don't know. I just studied Op. 8 Nr. 5, Op. 8 Nr. 12 and I'm now learning Op. 8 Nr. 1

6. Which ones are useful for events like competitions and college auditions?
Op. 65, a bunch of Op. 42 and Op. 8 Nr. 9 or 10.

Thank you so much,

Phil
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:39:23 PM
when you say a bunch of Op.42, franz_, are there specific ones you're referring to?

Phil

Offline dnephi

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:23:04 PM
42 #5 is my favorite, but I really like 8 #12, but 8#12 is played more often and 42#5 is not hackneyed due perhaps to its higher difficulty. 
From a college professor (my teacher), most of those who audition play pieces that are too hard for them or that they are just not ready for or aren't well-seasoned.  She has judged many times and what is most important is playing very well, technically, musically, and artistically, and so you shouldn't play what you think would be a more impressive piece, but think perhaps about playing a less impressive piece at a higher level. 
Not to say that you can't, but just saying that it is a very common issue with students who apply to universities and competitions that really puts them down.

Good luck.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:21:23 PM
42 #5 is my favorite, but I really like 8 #12, but 8#12 is played more often and 42#5 is not hackneyed due perhaps to its higher difficulty. 
From a college professor (my teacher), most of those who audition play pieces that are too hard for them or that they are just not ready for or aren't well-seasoned.  She has judged many times and what is most important is playing very well, technically, musically, and artistically, and so you shouldn't play what you think would be a more impressive piece, but think perhaps about playing a less impressive piece at a higher level. 
Not to say that you can't, but just saying that it is a very common issue with students who apply to universities and competitions that really puts them down.

Good luck.

This is what I have heard countless times over and over, and I wholeheartedly agree with it. I just wish to know which ones- if any- to avoid.

Phil

Offline dnephi

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 01:46:16 AM
8 No. 8 is very emotional and nostalgic.  It's not nearly as difficult as some of the others.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert