Piano Forum

Topic: short time for a Prelude an Fugue  (Read 3895 times)

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
short time for a Prelude an Fugue
on: September 16, 2006, 01:46:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the midst of the college admission process. I am not applying as a music major (most likely a minor) but I am still intending to send in a tape of recordings with my application. Many of my schools do not require certain pieces, many of them just say to send in pieces of varying periods in classical music. Just the other day I missed some fine print in the supplement application of my first choice school. One of the requirements was a Bach Prelude and Fugue. All of the other piece requirements I was able to meet. Although this sounds a little awkward, I have little experience with Bach's WTC and would need to learn one of the sets within the next month (or even several weeks) One that sound fairly impressive, but is still within my reach. I was thinking that P&F No. 5 in D major from book 1 would be a good choice. Are their any others that might work better? I would have started this earlier if I had known, and the fact that I just started with a new teacher has made me shift my focus away from the college stuff for a little while. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Re: short time for a Prelude an Fugue
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:40:01 PM
How much time do you have before the tape or CD is due?

The D major one is not easy, but not extremely difficult either... I would recommend one of these first, given the time constraint (all from Book I):

D minor No.6
B-flat major No.21
A major No.19
F major No.11

The last two are not played nearly as much as the first two, and the A major happens to be a personal favorite of mine.  :)

Phil

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:16:45 PM
Bk2 No 20 raises eyebrows if played well.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline sukrikeren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:24 AM
I want the mp3 of this song.thx

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:12:56 PM
I would go no.21 in B-flat from book I. You just have to get it to work with your fingers.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert