Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: 6ft grand 15K-20K purchase  (Read 3129 times)

Offline digidudefl

• PS Silver Member
6ft grand 15K-20K purchase
on: January 26, 2004, 02:45:31 AM
I have between 15K-20K to buy a 6ft horizontal piano. I've been looking around town and found a Vogel by Schimmel that sounded pretty decent. Anybody heard of it?

Any other brands anybody would recommend? I tried some used Yamahas and they were nice... any models around that price worth trying?

Thanks for your time.

--digi

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Re: 6ft grand 15K-20K purchase
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 09:49:08 AM
I played a VOGEL before. Nice tone, a bit on the bright side sound-wise, big sound.

Other possibilities I can think of (assuming new pianos for your price range, some may exceed the $20k mark a little with the 2004 price hike and such):

Yamaha C3
Kawai RX-2, RX-3, possibly RX-5
Petrof V, IV, may be III as well
Estonia 5'6" and may be 6'3"
Wilh. Steinberg (IQ77 ?)
Samick World, Knabe, Weber
Young Chang, Pramberger

Offline Plaz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 06:51:39 AM
The Boston 5'10" is also a pretty nice piano in this price range.

Offline digidudefl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 04:34:02 PM
Thank you all for your input!

I checked out some Yamaha C3's yesterday and they were really nice... although it stretches my budget a little more. They were offering to sell at around 22K out the door. Is that a good price?

Also... since the Vogel is not in the same room as the Yamaha I could not compare. If you guys could buy the Yamaha would you choose it over the Vogel? I guess that's more of a taste question but I was curious to see what opinions were out there.

Thanks again.
--digi

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 10:18:24 PM
On C3 vs. VOGEL, you are correct -- it mostly comes down to "taste." That aside, I believe the C3 has longer good track record. Vogel is quite new, hence track record is not as established as the C3. A technician who services these two models can better address the "track record" issue.

Offline Plaz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 02:40:31 AM
I checked out some Yamaha C3's yesterday and they were really nice... although it stretches my budget a little more. They were offering to sell at around 22K out the door. Is that a good price?

It's not a bad price, but don't hesitate to offer lower.  If that's what they offered you, then they're probably willing to accept less.  If you're not comfortable paying that much, then offer what you are comfortable with and see what happens.  But be sure you really like the piano first!

Offline Steinwayman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 02:09:05 AM
I had a C3 for nearly 30 years before finally getting a Steinway. I must say, the C3 was a VERY good piano, very reliable and well-built, with a very nice action. It needed surprisingly little maintenance (tuning, regulation and voicing) despite being played a lot.  The only thing it lacked was...that Steinway tone and personality.  I would have kept it if I'd had room for two grands, though.

Still, the C3 may have changed a lot from when I got mine in the early 1970's.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 11:26:52 PM
Try the Baldwin Model L, 6'3" which falls into the budget range you describe once you've negotiated off of the list price.  I think you'll like its sound.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline digidudefl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 04:21:33 AM
Hey guys...
Thank you for all the info provided. Here's something I heard: Yamaha is having a C-3 sale. I heard it from a friend in NYC and another one in Florida.

I'm going to check Kawai's sometime next week. I tried the Pramberger but I tend to lean towards the C-3... it's all a matter of taste anyway.

Cheers,
--digi

Offline digidudefl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 04:50:25 AM
I BOUGHT A PIANO!
It's a 1994 yamaha C7!!
I went to this place in Margate, FL called the Russell Housen Piano Outlet. He's got mostly used Yamahas in unbelievably good condition. Really good prices on pianos from C-3's to C-7's.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info!!

Cheers,
--digi

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 08:36:00 AM
Congratulations on the C7. I have come across a few C7's that were very, very nice pianos that I liked a lot. Wow, you went from 6ft to 7'6". Congratulations!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert