Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Scherzi and Ballades  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Fotios_Darcey

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Scherzi and Ballades
on: August 23, 2002, 08:18:20 AM
Could anyone suggest  recordings apart from Idil Biret (who does a beautiful job) of these pieces. Im looking for interesting interpretations to listen to.

Fotios
Fotios Darcey is a Clinical Research Associate studying piano with Vaila Mead
(Aust. Int. Cons. Mus. in Sydney Australia)

Offline martin_s

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Scherzi and Ballades
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 03:58:06 PM
I think Rubinstein plays the ballades beautifully. Third Scherzo (c# min) with Martha Argerich is another favourite. Think she might have recorded all the scherzi... Dunno for sure though...

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 10:49:39 PM
Rachmaninoff's 3rd Scherzo is the best I've heard. Agerich's 3rd is interesting but very unchopin like, in my opiinon. Richter plays the 2nd Scherzo amazingly, he also does great justice to the 1st Ballade.

Offline MikeThePianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 06:11:11 PM
There's a recording of Rubinstein's that has all 4 ballades and all 4 scherzi.  I really like it.  He is one of my fave Chopin interpreters.

Mike
Michael Fauver is pursuing his bachelors degree in piano performance at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Offline Pianorak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 09:29:08 PM
You'll find the Rubinstein performances on "The Rubinstein Collection, Volume 45" (RCA).
I would also recommend the Ballades and Scherzi recorded by Vladimir Ashkenazy in 1964, and the Scherzi recorded by Claudio Arrau (in 1985 ?).
I have heard Nikolay Demidenko play the 4 ballades and 4 scherzi live, but don't know whether he has recorded them.
PS. And don't overlook Murray Perahia's superb recording of the four ballades.

Offline martin_s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 01:38:48 PM
Rachmaninov also recorded the third ballade. Very interesting, possibly not quite so true to Chopin though...

Offline chopinfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2002, 12:00:17 AM
There is a recording by Horowitz of the 1st scherzo which has to be heard. For the ballads I'd suggest Rubinstein.

Offline Martijn1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 01:33:58 PM
Demidenko has the most beautiful tone of every chopin performer I heard. Please take a look at
https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk

There's a Box with complete piano works from DG that's also very good

Please try Rubinstein's. The tone not as beautiful as Demidenko, but also one of the best in my humble opinion

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2003, 04:18:28 AM
I agree with most of the other contributors here.  The Rubinstein recordings are the classic performance.  There are a few technical blemishes in the execution, but Rubinstein knew how to capture the essence of these pieces and to project their lyricism and bombast in order to put them across  to an audience.  You cannot go wrong listening to them.  I have the Ashkenazy recordings which are quite good, but I still prefer Rubinstein's interpretations.

Rachmaninoff (my favorite composer and certainly one of the greatest virtuoso pianists of all time) was at his best playing Rachmaninoff.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  In his day he had to make a living and more often than not featured his own piano works prominently in his recital programs.  Somehow when he played Chopin, Kreisler, or whomever, they sounded like, well, Rachmaninoff.  You can hear this in his recordings.   Still, he was a fantastic musician--one of a kind.  

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline tph

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 12:55:10 AM
I'd like to suggest Dang Thai Son's recording of the Ballades, which I believe trumps all others in its beauty of tone, nobility of phrasing, crystalline clarity, and coherence of structure.  His records are very difficult to come by, however, as he records exclusively for a Japanese label.

tph

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 05:03:14 PM
I'd say that for the 1st and 4th ballades, Horowitz is unveatable. Well, personal opinion... He just gets so much out of the music, and he is very powerful. None of these ff chords played with fear.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 05:07:45 PM
My favorite recording of the Ballades is Zimmerman on DG.
Can't decide on the Scherzos, but Alexis Weissenberg's is interesting.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline scarbo87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 08:40:39 AM
For an INTERESTING reading of the scherzos try Pletnev on DG.
As for the Ballades....I like Kissin and,although he is not
well  know, Jerome Rose.
Von Herzen - Moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen!!!!

Offline Max

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 09:59:27 AM
I love Pollinis interpretion of the Ballades.

For a great recording of both Ballades and Scherzi, get Stephen Houghs - it's also really good.

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2004, 03:38:09 PM
apparently, Hamelin used to program all 4 ballades in his recitals. until he got bored, that is.

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 04, 2004, 08:37:42 PM
Zimmerman for the Ballades, surely!
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert