Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rach 2  (Read 3746 times)

Offline christiaan

• PS Silver Member
Rach 2
on: June 04, 2007, 09:07:07 AM
What is the correct version of the Rach 2`s openinig chords? To 'arpeggio' it like Ashkenazy or to play it 'blocked' like Richter/ Van Cliburn? Wat do you guys prefer?

I hate it when people arpeggio it to fit the size of their small hands! If you have small hands, don`t try Rachmaninov`s second concerto!

What do you think?

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline christiaan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rach 2
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:54:11 AM
Indeed??

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:03:30 AM
If anything, block the chords so that you play the low F and then the top notes together. 

Arpeggiating it makes it sound like trash.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,16731.msg179645.html#msg179645
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:20:31 AM
Lol Rach himself arpeggiated them.

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 12:56:32 PM
The thing with this opening is to keep a sense of pulse. So many people play it withput even thinking of the pulse. Whatever you do, keep the pulse. Arpeggiating is harder to do this, becasue you have to think...does the beat sound on the boottom note, or the top? It's interesting becasue you may think it sounds on the top,. but when you get somebody else to listen, they may disagree.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:20:53 PM
maybe like this

Here is the link for the file you uploaded:
https://download.yousendit.com/EDD4142036FCF266

8)
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:58:57 PM
Lol Rach himself arpeggiated them.

I think he preffered them blocked, playing the low f in the chord a little before the rest of the chord. At least he does that on a recording i have.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 05:18:33 PM
maybe like this

Here is the link for the file you uploaded:
https://download.yousendit.com/EDD4142036FCF266

8)

what.

Offline lazlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:16:36 PM
I have two different recordings of rachmaninoff playing this concerto, and they definetely are not arpeggiated in these two recordings... maybe another, although i was under the impression I had his complete recordings.  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 09:35:52 AM
I think he preffered them blocked, playing the low f in the chord a little before the rest of the chord. At least he does that on a recording i have.

Yes you are right, and lazlo too. I haven't listened to this for a while and my remembrance was not precise :P

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 10:15:10 AM
The thing about it is this:  that opening intro with the chords should sound like Russian bells.  How does arpeggiating them make them sound like bells?  Precluding the blocked upper notes by the lower F actually makes it sound more like real bells than just playing the entire chord at once.  That's my thought on why Rachmaninoff played it this way on every recording I've heard of his -- even though physically he could play the whole chord with no problem.
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 02:38:53 PM

I hate it when people arpeggio it to fit the size of their small hands! If you have small hands, don`t try Rachmaninov`s second concerto!

What do you think?

Bit of a daft statement, given that the majority pianists are physically incapable of playing the stretches presented to them in the romantic literature. The most difficult tenth stretches are rolled by the vast majority of pianists. Atleast the ones I see play anyway! You do need a exceptionally large hand to play those chords solid.

However, I do get your point here. The chords during the intro of Rach 2 sound terrible when rolled imo. Simply detach the bottom F. This seems to be the accepted way around the problem, and has not spoiled some fine interps. Take Freire for instance.

SJ

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 12:26:11 AM
What is the correct version of the Rach 2`s openinig chords? To 'arpeggio' it like Ashkenazy or to play it 'blocked' like Richter/ Van Cliburn? Wat do you guys prefer?

What do you think?
The correct version? err.....
Personally I prefer it block, but seeing as I couldn't quite reach the notes, I used to bounce of the low 'f'.
I don't think having to break chords (which is perfectly acceptable) is goin to stop most people from attempting one of the most popular piano concertos in the repertoire.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 07:39:10 AM
ricther has an enormous hand reach of 12th (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
no wonder why he didn't roll those crhods

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:00 AM
FWIW, Rachmaninov himself could hold down a chord of G, C, E-flat, G, and C with his right hand and is in the Guiness Book of World Records for such.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 04:53:12 PM
ricther has an enormous hand reach of 12th (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
no wonder why he didn't roll those crhods

You only need a stretch of a F-A to play those chords evenly. It's not that difficult.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 08:57:06 PM
You only need a stretch of a F-A to play those chords evenly. It's not that difficult.

First up, it has little to do with difficulty. I has to do with physical possibility! You can either reach a chord, or you cant. Simple as that. Possible / impossible. If it's possible but severely uncomfortable, then I guess you have to use your better judgement.

But also, lets not confuse the problem - the F to Ab stretch is not the really problem for most people, its the inner voices. Playing F - A is VERY different to playing F, C, Eb, Ab!

For me, I can play the F, C, Eb, A chord and I can play the F, C, Ab chord, but not the F, C, Eb, Ab, where the C has to be played by the 3 finger.

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 02:57:50 PM
First up, it has little to do with difficulty. I has to do with physical possibility! You can either reach a chord, or you cant. Simple as that. Possible / impossible. If it's possible but severely uncomfortable, then I guess you have to use your better judgement.

But also, lets not confuse the problem - the F to Ab stretch is not the really problem for most people, its the inner voices. Playing F - A is VERY different to playing F, C, Eb, Ab!

For me, I can play the F, C, Eb, A chord and I can play the F, C, Ab chord, but not the F, C, Eb, Ab, where the C has to be played by the 3 finger.

Whoops. Forgot about that. :p Yeah, that is a bit more difficult. It's easy enough to play the C-Eb on its own I feel, but the F-Ab contorts the hand a bit.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert