Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart sonatas gouldificatas...  (Read 2707 times)

Offline pianogeek_cz

• PS Silver Member
Mozart sonatas gouldificatas...
on: December 15, 2007, 12:24:12 PM
I just had best fun ever commiting atrocities against the usual Mozart interpretations. Plus I think it sounds waaay more catchy. ;D Will try to record...

Would you do this in the public? (I think I would... ::) ;D )
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz (Without cunning a nation shall fall,  Salvation Come By Many Good Counsels)

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart sonatas gouldificatas...
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:49:05 PM
if anyone did that in public, I would seriously look at them with daggers in my eyes.

I love classical music, love the way it's supposed to sound and I really dislike it when someone makes up their own version.
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:41:13 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:55:14 PM
lol
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:17:53 PM
u luv it. don't D-Nye:

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:31:00 PM
for your info, I did not listen to the recording. I laughed at the picture of Gould rather.

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 07:42:54 PM
Well, Gould at least admitted he didn't like Mozart's music. Too bad he was never willing to admit he didn't really like Bach all that much either...

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 12:41:02 AM
Well, Gould at least admitted he didn't like Mozart's music. Too bad he was never willing to admit he didn't really like Bach all that much either...

WRONG. There are some Gould Mozart interpretations that actually stand up to serious scrutiny (his recordings of the C Minor Concerto, FIRST recording of K330).

And what's this rubbish about him hating Bach?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 01:21:57 AM
I just had best fun ever commiting atrocities against the usual Mozart interpretations. Plus I think it sounds waaay more catchy. ;D Will try to record...

Would you do this in the public? (I think I would... ::) ;D )

I would attend this concert. 

Have you heard the Gould-Chop 3rd Son? Hahaha.  I would never play it like that but so fun to listen to  ;D
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianogeek_cz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 09:08:12 AM
Nope, haven't heard any Gould-Chop... Will try to find a recording.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Seconded. ;D
Must. Get. That. CD.
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz (Without cunning a nation shall fall,  Salvation Come By Many Good Counsels)

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 03:21:28 AM
WRONG. There are some Gould Mozart interpretations that actually stand up to serious scrutiny (his recordings of the C Minor Concerto, FIRST recording of K330).

And what's this rubbish about him hating Bach?

He was actually quoted as saying he didn't like Mozart very much. Of course he may have said that just to be mischievous.

As for Bach -- you only have to listen to his recordings.

I don't actually think he hated Bach -- it's not that simple. Gould was a ferocious technician with a highly original musical intelligence. Bach was the only composer who could keep his attention for very long. Perhaps Bach was some sort of father figure to him, to be alternately ridiculed and worshipped.

Take the second recording of the Goldberg's. It's about 1/3 Romantic excess, 1/3 sublime epiphanies, and 1/3 plink plink bang bang.

Unfortunately that recording has been very influential, and all the amateur pianists now think that's what the piece is supposed to sound like. Check out Youtube if you don't believe me.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 06:25:56 AM
It's influential because it's the best damn recording of the Goldberg's out there damnit.

Offline gjkoster

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:29 PM
Gould is supposed to have said that Mozart died too late... :o No further comments needed I guess if that's true

Offline pianogeek_cz

• PS Silver Member
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert