Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Piano Concert no 9, K271 with orchestra  (Read 8877 times)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Piano Concert no 9, K271 with orchestra
on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:25 PM
Hi all,

Here is my humble rendition of Mozart with our local chamber orchestra.  This is a live recording, and so there are a few errors  :-[ as well as an echo in the hall.  The piano, and especially the treble, is a little less prominent than it should be--but hey, you can't have everything!

Teresa

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Third movement.  Couldn't put it on the first post due to file being too large.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
 ??? No interest in Mozart, too long? 

Teresa

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
i've only listened part of it, but i can tell that you are a good mozart player. the performance was not perfect, but there was something in it to admire, i.e the fact that it was played in-the-style, and obviously the fine sound quality you've shown. well done! tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
I appreciate your comments, tds, and thanks for posting here!  Of course I wish it were a bit more note-perfect, and I have no excuses for that except that I perform in public only rarely, we had only one rehearsal, and I have stage fright.  :) 

In any case, thank you--we all know how much effort it takes to work up a concerto, and it's very nice to have someone take the time to have a listen and comment.

Teresa

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
ur welcome. tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
I just listened to the third movement.
It's very beautiful!
I think you play with exactly the right sort of light and joy of discovering ever new ideas, without overdoing it, which seems to be embedded in the composition itself. As I'm writing I'm listening to the second movement. Your tone is very beautiful and inspiring and your interpretation to me is very classical; i.e a delicate balance between what's too much and too little, between sentiment and intellect. If you fall short on anything, I'd say you sound perhaps less han 100% involved/prepared. It's my experience that when you have something to say in every note of the piece you can become so involved and eager to share that you even stop playing wrong notes; all your energy is focused on bringing out these ideas! When you need to waste energy on playing the right notes, that's when you usually start playing the wrong ones..

Beautiful playing! Thanks!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Thank you, dani-lo, for your nice words and your insights!  You are right on target, and my amateur status (I have a  rather busy day job) does not allow me to get quite as prepared as I should be for a live concerto performance.  As we all know, when we're playing by ourselves (or in any case with no sense of stress), it's possible to get into that "zone" you are talking about, where it just flows without error and seemingly effortlessly.

Aside from preparation, performing only once a year does not allow one to "get used to" performing.   I tend to be too much of a worry-wart, and with only one rehearsal, I can get jarred with a small bobble and then lose my focus--that then creates a self-consciousness that sometimes makes for other errors or less ability to let go and just "be the music." 

'Nuff said, I do appreciate you taking time to listen and comment!  :)
Teresa

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Hi all,

Here is my humble rendition of Mozart with our local chamber orchestra.  This is a live recording, and so there are a few errors  :-[ as well as an echo in the hall.  The piano, and especially the treble, is a little less prominent than it should be--but hey, you can't have everything!

Teresa

Nice! That cheerful first track was enjoyable. (helps when you like the music) Second track was just depressing enough for a nice contrast. Your playing sounds very polished. great job.

Nick

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Concerning errors, you are in good company! There was a saying about Alfred Cortot:"I'd rather hear his wrong notes than other pianists right notes". Clifford Curzon suffered terribly from stage fright. At one time he was going to perform the Emperor concerto and was in a total stage fright panic, he couldn't remember anything. So, the orchestra starts with their Eb chord and he plays his opening arpeggio in E major!

When the playing is as beautiful as yours, 'mistakes' don't mean anything.

The first movement is very nobel! You and the orchestra play with a wonderful enthusiasm and love! Had I been in the audience I would have left the concert a happier person!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Omigod, the great Curzon, E Major??  Wow, that must have sounded--er, interesting.  Stage fright is a terrible thing. 

And thanks so much, nick and dani! Your comments made me a happier person! ;D

Teresa

Offline vesna1951

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Concert no 9, K271 with orchestra
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:38 PM
Dear Theresa, I have been playing the piano since my 7th year (this coming December I will be 60!), but although I completed elementary and secondary school (my graduation concert was Mozart's PC no. 23). Ever since then I have been playing then piano for myself and my friends, and I can say that I find my best expression through classical music.

When I was younger, I was far more serious as a person than I am now, life was terrible serious business then, so I preferred the heavy and dramatic Beethoven and Chopin pieces. Now, when I finally learned that life is FUN, I ADORE Maestro Mozart. There is definitely something that makes you think that there are no problems whatsoever under the sky, and that everything is well with the world.

I downloaded and listened to your playing several times, and I like it very much. I feel that you are much like me - finding your own expression in music, and interpreting it not as the composer wrote it, but in the way how you FEEL about it. I do love it.

I guess you are far younger than me, so I would like to recommend something. Go to the YouTube and find 'Gulda plays Mozart'. He played Mozart's D-minor PC, and he was a conductor at the same time. My, how I ADORE that man! I was so sad when I learned he died in 2000 at the age of 69. I cannot describe him because you have to see for yourself, and as I am a bit of an eccentric myself, I love his so unformal way of conducting the orchestra and his piano playing.

And his way of communication with the orchestra members and the camera! That is how my each day begins and ends, because it is a poity to only listen. The true magic is in his personality.

Maestro Gulda, if you are somewhere above and if you canm hear me, then know that I am so GRATEFUL I kmet you at all.

Keep your good work, Theresa, and take all the delight in this wonderful composer.

Best wishes,

Vesna

Offline philiphotchkiss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 12:47:19 AM
Nice job. Congratulations on playing a concerto with orchestra - a great accomplishment!
Philip Hotchkiss<br />Amateur Pianist<br />Working on:<br />Chopin, Concerto 1, Second Movement<br />Mendelssohn, Songs Without Words

Offline mypianoworld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 09:20:24 PM
Hey Theresa, congratulations, I'm listening to the first movement and I'm loving it! Your interpretation really has something special. I'm working on this concerto now, do you have any advice for preparation and practice? I really would appreciate any tips or hints haha.

Thank you,

Kind regards.

Laila F.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert