Piano Forum

Topic: Debussy Ballade and Prelude to English Suite No. 2  (Read 6880 times)

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Both these pieces are works in progress, and neither is as good as it should be. I get horribly nervous in front of people, video cameras, microphones, and even stopwatches, so as you can expect I had trouble recording. There are loads of mistakes and memory slips, and the bad microphone on my laptop destroyed any dynamics I may have played, but I resolved that I would post recordings today, so here goes...
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy Ballade and Prelude to English Suite No. 2
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:43:40 PM
Oh, and I would really appreciate comments  :).
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

Offline kard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:52:55 AM
It was a good listen overall. 
The only two things I would have changed would be the harshness of those left hand chords near the opening. I think the fault is with my speakers but its still something to observe.
Some ideas:
You could have played with the balance some more so that the left hand rhythms played some more with the main melody, it sounds very separated to me sometimes. (around 2:13 I think).

The Bach was great in my opinion. Sounded a little uncomfortable sometimes.
Ideas: You could try and section up the piece more and give it more separate characters. One reason I don't like Bach's...or fugues (correct me if I'm calling it the wrong thing, I'm not sure) in general is that they have the tendency to sound like a long run-on sentence.

Thanks!

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:15:00 AM
Thanks so much for your suggestions! On a second listen, I agree about the left hand chords in the Debussy. It may also have something to do with the microphone placement, but I probably did play them too harshly. And the left hand was barely audible at 2:13. I remember my piano teacher also telling me to bring out the bass, so thank you  :)

The Bach is, well... I know I know all the notes, but somehow I have trouble getting through the whole piece confidently. But I appreciate your suggestion of different characters. And this piece is a prelude, not a fugue (thank god!)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert