Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti sonatas complete  (Read 4455 times)

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti sonatas complete
on: January 19, 2009, 06:21:31 PM
Does anybody know of a publisher who has (probably in several volumes) Scarlatti's complete sonatas for keyboard? Can you suggest a decent website to get these from?

I've seen collections of 200ish, but I'm quite interested in getting the complete set (500ish). I know that Ricordi did do them, but I can't seem to find these for sale anywhere. Anyone know where you can get these, or another publisher who does the full set?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I know that you can download them, however, I'd rather buy them in books, than have irritating printed off scores.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti sonatas complete
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:30:32 PM
I have them.  I think it's Schirmer, yellowish covers.  Two volumes.  Kirkpatrick, editor.  That's what was recommended to me. 

I think those were mentioned on this site before too.  Maybe do a search.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:04:18 PM
Off topic: Are you two related?
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:12:53 PM
schirmir is edited to death i would avoid it
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:31:38 PM
So... we meet again Mr. Bob.  (Or do you a phd?)

No.  This forum IS big enough for the both of us.

I am Bob without pie.  (Bob checks)  Yep, I have no pie.  No pie at all.

That's what I thought.  It's Schirmer.  But then apparently it's Kirkpatrick so he's the Scarlatti expert and it's ok.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:19:14 PM
schirmir is edited to death i would avoid it
The Kirckpatrick editions of Scarlatti are fine, they are not edited by way of fingering or phrasing or anything like that - it's a clean copy.  But, there are only 60 of the 550 odd.
I think Ricordi is the only one who has produced them all in 11 volumes I think.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:03:22 PM
Yes, Ricordi has the complete sonatas. It's an old edition, by Longo from 1910, but I've never seen a more recent complete set.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:02:03 PM
The Heugel edition of 1984 is complete.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 10:50:32 PM
Thanks for the answers. I'd read that Kirkpatrick, not Longo, was the way forward. The Heugel edition seems to cost ~ £100 per volume, and there are 11 volumes, so I'm not sure I like Scarlatti enough to financially ruin myself.

Hello again Bob, sorry I haven't been on in ages, since I finished my studies and got a job, I've been struggling to find enough time to play the piano, let alone write about it on the internet, so have neglected this forum somewhat :(

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:23:31 AM
How dare you neglect the forum, Bob with pie!  That's very un-Bob-like.  You're going to get yourself a second o if you keep that up.  (That's a joke.  Came out harsher than I thought, but it's a joke.)

Yes, don't forget the PS scores.  :)  I still don't know where they're coming from though.

Offline justinwol

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:04:24 PM
I'm just looking for Sonata K. 141. I was very disappointed to see in the huge list here on Piano Street K. 141 was absent, unless I missed it.

Where could I find this piece? I will continue looking, but thought I would here in case it proves quicker in the search.

Thank you

Offline hansscherff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:05 AM
I'm just looking for Sonata K. 141. I was very disappointed to see in the huge list here on Piano Street K. 141 was absent, unless I missed it.

Where could I find this piece? I will continue looking, but thought I would here in case it proves quicker in the search.

Thank you

You can find it on the IMSLP website i think, its the one in b minor right? Beautiful sonata!

Offline justinwol

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:01:48 PM
Thank you! What a nice website, I never knew it existed. Very beautiful!

Offline jcabraham

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:10:52 AM
I have them.  I think it's Schirmer, yellowish covers.  Two volumes.  Kirkpatrick, editor.  That's what was recommended to me. 

I think those were mentioned on this site before too.  Maybe do a search.

That's really all 500? I have a fairly large volume by Schirmer, and it's only 60 sonatas. You'd need like 9 volumes....

P.S. These are not "edited to death." R.K. was an early music scholar and followed the HIP practice of minimal editorial interference.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:52 PM
No, it's just some of them. 

I heard the number they found was up to over 600 several years ago.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert