Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Invention  (Read 3138 times)

Offline pianobass91

• PS Silver Member
Bach Invention
on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:32 AM
Hi all! I'm a new member here ;D
Currently i'm practising Invention no. 11 G-
and rather confused about the interpretation, is there any 'exact' interpretation for Bach's pieces, or is it according to players?

I downloaded some recordings of it at pianosociety.com and found that the performers interpret it differently one another in articulation, ornaments and tempo.

I'm using Augener's Edition, is it a good source? Or can you recommend any good source of Bach's Invention in internet. I also downloaded from imslp.org but i think it is not edited at all.

Thank you ;)

Offline rmbarbosa

Re: Bach Invention
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:32:19 PM
Yes, I put the same question about Invention nr 1, cause the same reasons. About tempo, Czerny edition : "the metronomisations...are intended for purposes of study, otherwise a more moderate time might be advisable...". One edition indicate legato over the same bars where other editions put nothing... Perhaps may be a question of "feeling" based on knowledge about Bach. But I`m not sure. I think one may lend an ear some versions and go to our one. But I repeat I`m not sure, it was good if other more experienced members of this forum might give their opinion. Or your teacher, if you have one. I havent.

Offline pianobass91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:53:17 AM
Oh thank you very much for the links and for sending me the pdf, it is very good and i learnt many from the 'Remark'.  :)
Anyway, what edition is the one you sent me?

Offline pianobass91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:57:26 AM
Oops, sorry, i just read a pm from you  ;D, so it's by Bruno Mugellini.
It is indeed a really good source for piano students!
Thx once again.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert