Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy - La cathedrale engloutie  (Read 8005 times)

Offline redbaron

Debussy - La cathedrale engloutie
on: March 31, 2010, 02:46:00 PM
The left hand chord on the first beat or bar 58 (it also appears on the second beat of bar 59 and the second beat of bar 51) is causing me grief. Starting from the bottom up I'm fingering it as 5-4-3-2-1 which is the only practical fingering I can think of. It's a very uncomfortable chord (cruelly so) and if anyone has any other ideas about how to take it I'd be very interested in hearing them.

Offline landru

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy - La cathedrale engloutie
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:24:34 PM
Oh, I know this chord  :'(. It really is sadistic with the 4th finger somehow trying fit in between the black keys. The only way I can think of playing it differently is if somehow you get the lowest two notes played with one finger (the G sharp and the A). But that seems just as awkward as playing it with two fingers.

The only other solution is to leave out one of the notes so that you can at least play the piece without taking a two second break while getting your fingers in the right places. I've been working on this piece for a month - I've been concentrating on easier to solve problems, but getting this chord smooth is on my radar.

Good luck.

P.S. it is so discouraging watching people play this on you tube as they just ...pop...play the chord.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:05:21 AM
think outside the box:

G#     A       C#     D#       G#
 4       5        3       2         1  

it ends up being not that much of a stretch if you do it that way, at least for me.

try the end of the prelude from suite bergamasque if you want some tough debussy reaches!  (F C F A for instance)

(edited above because I added an extra note inadvertently)

Offline redbaron

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:08:23 PM
The funny thing is that this particular section of the piece is one that I was not anticipating much difficulty with. I was expecting the difficulty to lay in other areas, which as it turned out, were not as challenging as I thought they would be. But this particular section is deceptive.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert