Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Medtner - Fairy Tale op.20 no.1  (Read 8982 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Medtner - Fairy Tale op.20 no.1
on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:40 PM
hi  everyone i am back with several recordings... this is from a concert a couple of weeks ago.  here is the whole program:

Medtner - two fairy tales, op.20
Quentin Kim - Sonata in g# minor
Franck - Prelude, Chorale n Fugue
INTERMISSION
Debussy - Masques / D'un cahier d'esquisses / L'isle joyeuse
Bartok - Musiques nocturnes
Messiaen - petites esquisses d'oiseaux

i have posted a couple of those pieces already; here's the first of the medtner fairy tales.  i was improvising a bit before i started.  at some point there will be a video as well, but not till later on

ejoy

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Medtner - Fairy Tale op.20 no.1
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:05:21 AM
For my own purposes, I like to keep recitals together. I hope you don't mind. :)

Medtner - two fairy tales, op.20 (and a previous recording of op. 20 no. 2)
Quentin Kim - Sonata in g# minor (a previous recording)
Franck - Prelude, Chorale n Fugue
INTERMISSION
Debussy - Masques / D'un cahier d'esquisses / L'isle joyeuse
Bartok - Musiques nocturnes
Messiaen - petites esquisses d'oiseaux
encore: Chopin - Polonaise in A-flat, op.53 "Heroic"

I've downloaded the files and am looking forward to listening to the concert. I always enjoy your playing.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:56:44 AM
that's interestign!  wel i can post these Sonata recordings if you like, i think they are probably better... and also la campanella was posted earlier.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:07:06 PM
I'd enjoy hearing both la campanella (a real favorite) and the updated Kim if you're okay with uploading them. (In the mean time, I'll track down that older recording).
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:01 AM
Hi anyhow,

I liked your rendition of this tale.  It was very expressive indeed in bringing out Medtner's brand of late romantic sound.  Given all of the moving passage work, you controlled the pedaling very well throughout the performance.  Great! 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:16:37 AM
thanks!  i love this one and also heifetz has transcribed it for violin and piano.  so medtner was not as obscure as some would say...

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 12:20:54 AM
This is a wonderful and very dramatic performance of this piece, which is one of my favorite of Medtner's pieces.

That's interesting that you were improvising beforehand, that must then have been on stage then?  I like how you suggested the theme in the improvisation.

Bravo!  One more win for those who care about the pianistic art.

Walter Ramsey

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:57:46 AM
thanx, glad you liked it, yes i was on stage and just wanted to make sure i was absolutely comfortable.  i hate just jumping in!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 03:33:28 PM
I'm not a medtner "fan" but your playing is very convincing nonethess.  I think I heard you in something else a while back (other then this programme)  because I recognized that beautiful shirt in the video!  ;D

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 08:09:55 PM
I'm not a medtner "fan" but your playing is very convincing nonethess.  I think I heard you in something else a while back (other then this programme)  because I recognized that beautiful shirt in the video!  ;D

haha, yes i did make a video previously with medtner, but it was op.20 no.2; that video is still psoted, as well as the performance from this concert, which was separate... what an amazing shirt!  8)

sorry to hear you aren't a medtner fan, i think a lot of it is so great!

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:40:29 AM
hi  everyone i am back with several recordings...
i have posted a couple of those pieces already; here's the first of the medtner fairy tales.  i was improvising a bit before i started.  at some point there will be a video as well, but not till later on

ejoy

A very fine, passionate performance of a beautiful piece! I was just discussing Op.20/2 "Campanella" with a friend and mentioned that I didn't have a recording of this one, only to find it here the same day. Thank you!!
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 07:39:41 PM
Nice .... pleasant ... beautiful piece ....  very well played and recorded!!  thanks....
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 03:08:51 AM
A very fine, passionate performance of a beautiful piece! I was just discussing Op.20/2 "Campanella" with a friend and mentioned that I didn't have a recording of this one, only to find it here the same day. Thank you!!

i don't know who all plays this... i don;t think medtner recorded it tho he did do la campanella..
thanx!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert