Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt, Transcendental Etude no. 12, Chasse Neige  (Read 6653 times)

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Liszt, Transcendental Etude no. 12, Chasse Neige
on: February 04, 2011, 05:48:27 PM
-

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt, Transcendental Etude no. 12, Chasse Neige
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:55:10 PM
Very nice. you are such a good pianist.  I only have one comment and its a general one.  It could be because of the recording , but i had a little problem hearing some of the base work in the left hand. Im sure if I could hear you in person it would be as clear as a bell.  You do play so well ,  it was a pleasure to hear you . If you want you could take a listen to my Chopin etude I just posted. I would be really  honored to hear what you have to say. 

thanks Again  for sharing this music and know that it inspires me to work hard on my own playing.

Cheers, Becky

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:03:30 PM
-

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:15:04 AM
...I think you started off at a very good pace...look, while I do agree very much that it needs to be beautiful (and I do find it an exquisite piece of music), I do think you take too much time as it progressed, imbuing the inevitable melodic flow with a certain sentimentality that I'm not sure is what the music needs.

I'm not suggesting that the piece needs to be executed squarely because it's an etude. Rather, for me, amidst the tone of regret and lamentation, there is a sense of what Fleisher likes to identify as a certain "inevitability". The way you shape the melody is beautiful, but I think you need to consider again how this "chasse neige" should flow. The tempo plan in the first half of the piece is quite admirable, but for me it just seems unnecessary, if too wild and counter-intuitive, because of what I think the piece should really be.

Take it for what it's worth. In any case, perhaps what I appreciate and enjoy the most from musicians is what I like to call the "heart and commitment" to the music. It is something I usually find lacking in so many pianists (and musicians, young and older alike), but I do think that is not the case with you here. So there :)

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:38 AM
Dang Pianist, that's really good. Bravo. Definitely one for my collection...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:22:01 AM
excellent work!  it is a very tough piece, as you said, and I think you've managed to pull it off quite nicely.

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:35:54 AM
Had a listen to the recording of your Chasse Neige.

I'm having trouble with the cross rhythm in the Liszt TE no12. Any tips for it? Once you learn the cross rhythm, you get the whole thing, maybe the whole set perhaps? And they say Transcendental Etude no5 is the hardest of the set.
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:35:29 AM
Nice one pianist1976! You meet the technical challenges in this piece very well and control them quite confidently, those jumps throughout are much harder than they seem to keep controlled! I really like how you bring out the melodic lines over the support tremolos which you also play well balanced, generally with good authority and understanding, and pretty good scale runs. A few wrong notes throughout but there is nothing that will not correct itself over time as the piece fully absorbs, the same applies for figuring our your phrasing, your phrases enter very nicely but some tend to mumble a little near the ends. You are well on your way in mastering this beast, extremely good work!
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:50:11 AM
-
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert