Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Preludes - Difficulty?  (Read 8225 times)

Offline chelsobladi

Chopin Preludes - Difficulty?
on: May 16, 2011, 06:09:45 AM
I am about to study these six Chopin preludes, and I would like some opinions on how they rank in difficulty (so I can decide where to start).

I know everyone is different, but I would appreciate any input.

No. 13 F# Major
No. 17 A-flat Major
No. 18 F Minor
No. 21 B-flat Major
No. 23 F Major
"No. 25" C# minor

Thanks very much.

Offline jgallag

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Preludes - Difficulty?
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:22:01 PM
Here are the ratings from A Practical Guide to Solo Piano Music by Trevor Barnard with Elizabeth Gutierrez:

No 13 - 1
No 17 - 1
No 18 - 2
No 21 - 1
No 23 - 2
No "25" - 2

A "1" they consider to be intermediate standard, and a "2" is supposed to be about the level of a first-year undergraduate student (the next level given is upper division or grad, so I assume 2's are standard level throughout the undergrad career).

Looking at my score, here's a suggested order: 13, 21, 17, 23, 18, 25. Stupid spine wasn't facing out on my shelf, took me forever to find the book... Anyways, I think you'll be good with that order. If you want my reasoning behind it, reply back, but mostly I gave you one because you wanted one, and it's partly based on my experience with the types of figures Chopin's using. I haven't played any of these, though I studied 17 pretty intensively in Theory 3. I'm going to learn some of these, they're pretty awesome. Good luck!

Offline chelsobladi

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:57:57 PM
Thanks so much for the information and for your suggestions. I've been working on 13 and 21 and enjoying it so much. Can't wait to learn the rest!

Offline richterfan1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:25 PM
hmmmmm technicaly hardest is maybe no.24 in d minor, musicaly no.25 in c#

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01:12 PM
Like you said, "difficulty" depends on what you find difficult
But I'd rank them, from easiest to hardest:

No. 13 F# Major
No. 17 A-flat Major
No. 21 B-flat Major
No. 23 F Major
No. 18 F Minor

I haven't tried to play "No. 25" C# minor but it certainly doesn't look like the easiest one
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert