Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: "Easiest" concerto of Rachmaninoff?  (Read 10474 times)

Offline poiuytrewq11zc

• PS Silver Member
"Easiest" concerto of Rachmaninoff?
on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:43 PM
Rachmaninoff was known for writing very demanding music, and it is often displayed in his 4 concerti, as well as his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Out of all his music written for piano and orchestra, which would be considered the least difficult to play?

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Easiest" concerto of Rachmaninoff?
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:06:03 PM
Id din't play any of them, but I think 1st or Paganini.
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline freddychopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:33:00 AM
It's not necessary to say what's the easiest concerto. All 4 and the Paganini Rhapsody are extremely demanding. Some people think his second is the easiest and some say the second is the most difficult. They all get the highest grade available. If you are a great pianist choose the one you like the most.

Offline chopinaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:11:08 PM
Its funny, Rachmaninoff himself said the third was easier than the second because the third "lay under his fingers more naturally"....
The first (in MY opinion) is harder than the second and fourth because thef irst and third movements are played in a very vivace rapid tempo...The first is one of Rachmaninoff's "young" works...Full of energy and youth. The second piano concerto is tricky in all movements...even the second one has a lot going on in there, where as the first concerto and fourth concerto 2nd movements, are relatively easier in comparison to the second and third. You can forget about the third piano concerto as being labeled as "easy"...
The fourth however, is very underplayed, and I do not think that it is TOOOOO technically demanding, I think its on the same level as the second. However, it has a lot of jazzy rhythms and harmonies, especially in the second movement...
Richard
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert