Piano Forum

Topic: Differences in teaching boys vs girls  (Read 2289 times)

Offline reinvent

• PS Silver Member
Differences in teaching boys vs girls
on: August 24, 2004, 03:57:47 AM
Hi -
Can anyone tell me differences that you have noticed in teaching boys vs girls?  Any thing that has been successful in teaching boys?
All of my students have been girls with the exception of adults and I have a new young boy for student.
thanks

Offline Swan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Differences in teaching boys vs girls
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:24:05 AM
I don't think there are glaring differences.   There is in the class room, but not so much in one on one teaching.

I'm assuming you are male.  I think this is an advantage, as it's so important for children to have a same sex role model.  I've found that boys in my studio are somewhat relieved when they meet other boys in the studio.  It's like "Whew!  Glad I'm not the only boy, otherwise I'd be a real woose."

Perhaps keep away from repertoire that has overtly 'feminine' titles, such as the word Doll in them.

I even think it's too big a generalisation to say that boys prefer rhythmic, 'fast' pieces, because one of the students who plays slower delicate pieces with great sensitivity in my studio is a boy (who also represents his school playing football!).

I think there are other factors that are far more important than gender.  

Maybe others have noticed a bigger difference.  (Girls do tend to be more affectionate toward me, and care very much about what I think ... but then again, even that is more personality driven than gender).

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:35:10 PM
Perhaps it's a Germany-specific thing, but I have actually found crucial differences between boys and girls.

Generally girls tend to be more diligent, more concentrated, more serious, while the boys are more playful, unconcentrated, distracted, fun-loving.

This is a reason (the "SPIEGEL" had a great article about it) that the girls have outrun the boys in school. There are several studies that show that girls are better in school.

In piano lessons, girls want to be strictly told what to do. They are happy if they EXACTLY know: First I have to practice that, then I have to do that...
Mostly they don't understand what's the deal with improvisation. They admire if someone can improvise, but to do it themselves diametrally opposes their working style.
And if you say: "Gee, you can try this fingering, but also that fingering" or "Find out and try which dynamics are best", then many girls don't take you serious after some time. They like it best if you say: "THIS fingering / THIS dynamic is right /best", because then they accept you as an authority. Girls want strict teachers.

Boys are often much more happy if they can improvise, try things for themselves, and if they are teached more loosely. Because of this, most of them don't get as far as girls, but some of them become really creative, which is rare in girls.

Best Wishes,
Monk

Offline namui

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 04:14:17 PM
Perhaps it's a Germany-specific thing, ...  

I'm confident that very similar (if not the same) holds true in Thailand.

namui
Just a piano parent

Offline aisling_7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 08:26:37 PM
Maybe this is an american thing, but I think boys will be "more dilligent,  more concentrated, more serious" when they are expected to be.  Some girls need more freedom; some boys need more structure.  You don't want to make assumptions with your students, for it could seriously handicap your teaching.  One of my best teachers treated girls and boys very differently. Many of his students resented his attitude and quit.                                        

Jackie
There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 12:09:11 AM
Jackie, for years I DIDN'T treat boys and girls differently.

But I found out that MOST girls want to be treated differently than boys. Not all, and you have to find out whether it applies or not.

If you teach girls in a way boys like it, you often get into trouble with them. That's a fact.

Best Wishes,
Monk
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert