Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Advice on buying pianos on Craigslist?  (Read 7311 times)

Offline kersta

• PS Silver Member
Advice on buying pianos on Craigslist?
on: August 12, 2011, 08:59:05 PM
Hi all, I am new the forum. I have played piano my entire life, but am about to purchase my very own piano!  I've seen several posts about buying used pianos, specifically on Craigslist, but I am just overwhelmed by the amount of choices. I am looking to spend under $1,000 if possible for a good piano (that will last long enough for my unborn children to play it THEIR whole life!). There seem to be a ton on Craigslist - a lot of Kawaii, Kimball, Baldwin, Wurlitzer. Below are three specific listings that seem appealing. Do you all have any input on brands? What should I look for, what questions should I ask, etc? Can I know by sitting down to test play the piano if it is in good condition? If you have specific recommendations on brands, that would be great so that I can at least narrow down my search. Thank you everyone!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/2540139926.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/2536732627.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/2543073964.html

Offline keys60

Re: Advice on buying pianos on Craigslist?
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:21:53 PM
By brand name only, I'd go with the Baldwin hands down in that size class. HOWEVER, impossible to tell which has been cared for the best from where we sit. Sometimes the condition of the cabinet can tell you a little (make that VERY little) something, but not enough. Its what's inside that counts.
Don't trade any hard earned until you've seen and played all 3.
A sub 1K piano will most always need a little work, especially before your unborn graduates. :P

Offline pbryld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:55:06 AM
I doubt you will be able to find a piano for as little as 1k and expect it to last 80 years. And remember it will also need tuning once or twice every year.
General info:
Started playing music in the summer of 2010
Plays on a Bechstein B
Lives in Denmark

Offline lhommearme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:16:19 PM
I have 2 pianos from craigslist,first was on old Hamilton-Baldwin I paid $25 for and I had to fix the sound,secure the bass bridge and file the hammers.And of course tune.If you cant do these things yourself,it could get expensive.Second is an Oscar Steinbach for free.2 strings replaced and I tuned it up.You really have to know what your looking at on there.I have since scored another Baldwin for $250 and it is in great shape.Stay away from pianos that have been used by schools and the like because they have seen way more than average use. All in all,take your time with each one or bring a tech with you if the insides of a piano are not your forte. a $1000 should get you a good piano off there but more often than not,people overprice on there not knowing the pianos true value.Check all 3 in person,hard to tell just by looking at the ad.Ads are like bikinis,They show alot but not eveything.Happy hunting. ;D

Offline ionian_tinnear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:22:42 PM
I picked up my 1924 Model 'M' Steinway off Craig's List.  You can get lucky it seems.
Albeniz: Suite Espaņola #1, Op 47,
Bach: French Suite #5 in G,
Chopin: Andante Spianato,
Chopin: Nocturne F#m, Op 15 #2
Chopin: Ballade #1 Gm & #3 Aflat Mj
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert