Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: books on music notation  (Read 1928 times)

Offline breadboy

• PS Silver Member
books on music notation
on: September 09, 2004, 08:11:33 AM
is there any book that can give me everything (or close to it) on any possible question about music notation? I'm looking for much more than this is a quarter note, this is a half note. I want, this is what you do when legato and stacatto overlap on a fermata when the tempo is being changed kinda stuff. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

God bless

Offline pskim

• PS Silver Member
Re: books on music notation
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 01:58:32 PM
try Harvard Music Dictionary

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 02:17:48 PM
Gardner Read “Music notation” (Taplinger) – with almost 500 pages, this book covers pretty much everything from meaning to history of notation. Excellent reference.

George Heussenstamm – “The Norton manual of music notation”  (Norton) – much shorter than Read’s, this is a more practical book, telling you stuff like when to do notes’s stems up or down and how to draw notes. This really a “rules” book. Good to have around when you are in doubt.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 08:27:04 PM
You amaze me, Bernie!

(picks up jaw which fell on the floor)
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 02:24:39 AM
You amaze me, Bernie!

(picks up jaw which fell on the floor)

Er... why? ???
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert