Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Why does everyone hate on Asians?  (Read 12782 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Why does everyone hate on Asians?
on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:39 PM
Okay SO...  This is how it is...

*me playing John Cage 4'33*

Kid:  wow you're soooooooo good!

Me:  well... You know...  ::) ::) ::)

Kid:  know what?

Me:  there's always a five year old kid better than you no matter how hard you practice.

Kid:  Asians have no soul!  That all suck!  You're better than all of them!  They're all robots and they all suck!!!

*kid storms off*

What the freaking heck?!?!?!  I didn't say anything about Asians!!!  He was soooo ugly for that dude!

So when it comes to pretty much everything, why does everyone hate on Asians?  I mean, I understand that they pretty much occupy like 80% of all competitions, but after a certain point... 

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Why does everyone hate on Asians?
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:12:17 PM
It's not that Asians have no soul.  But what is different is that there are many more Asians playing the piano than any other ethnicity.  So on pure numbers, there will be a lot more unmusical Asians.  However, if we look at proportions, it will be the same regardless of ethnicity.

Also, there is a negative Asian bias in the Western world.  Asians are looked down upon the way Americans look down upon Hispanics, Asians, blacks, middle Easterners, Indians, American natives, Jews... Yeah, we hate everyone who's not white! ;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:55 PM
It's not that Asians have no soul.  But what is different is that there are many more Asians playing the piano than any other ethnicity.  So on pure numbers, there will be a lot more unmusical Asians.  However, if we look at proportions, it will be the same regardless of ethnicity.

Also, there is a negative Asian bias in the Western world.  Asians are looked down upon the way Americans look down upon Hispanics, Asians, blacks, middle Easterners, Indians, American natives, Jews... Yeah, we hate everyone who's not white! ;D

The US motto should be, 'if you got a color, we'll wipe it out! *bomb them*' because that's pretty much what we do unfortunately.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:24:31 PM
Okay SO...  This is how it is...

*me playing John Cage 4'33*

Kid:  wow you're soooooooo good!

LOL, you lost all credibility at that point....
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:47:20 PM
LOL, you lost all credibility at that point....

You're just jealous that you don't have the sufficient technique to tackle this monster work!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:11:34 AM
No, the technical term is envious.  He's envious he doesn't have the technique to conquer this work. ;D

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:29:20 AM
-Looks at rachmaninoff_forever's signature-

:o Is that seriously your repertoire  :o
Bach Prelude and Fugue BWV848
Beethoven Piano Sonata Op.13
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31
Mussorgsky "The Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:44:02 AM
-Looks at rachmaninoff_forever's signature-

:o Is that seriously your repertoire  :o

Yup!

*looks away*.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 03:08:22 AM
Yup!

*looks away*.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I knew it! You lied about being a child prodigy!

Now you get to join the 'club of being rightfully accused' with j_menz!

AHAHAHA

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 03:34:07 AM

AHAHAHA

When did I say I was a child prodigy?

I barely started playing piano when I was a child! Nine years old...

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:02:34 AM
ni shi er

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:12:08 AM
When did I say I was a child prodigy?

I think he meant you lied about NOT being a child prodigy :)

Get it now?

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:04:32 AM

Get it now?

Or being a child... still

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:03 AM
The US motto should be, 'if you got oil/resources, a non controlled bank we'll wipe it out! *bomb them*' because that's pretty much what we do unfortunately.

fixed.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:21 PM

Get it now?

What the heck where are you guys getting this from?!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 12:55:41 PM
What the heck where are you guys getting this from?!
When did you last check your signature...how old are you again?

EDIT:

OK, you won this one  >:(

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 01:34:42 PM
just like this right

i wonder what a rachmaninoff hot cross buns would sound like

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 02:10:55 PM
When did you last check your signature...how old are you again?

EDIT:

OK, you won this one  >:(

Dude, you guys are freaking crazy... 

Where are you getting the idea that I'm a prodigy?!  I can only play Marry had a little lamb, Cage 4'33 and Hot cross buns.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 11:15:27 PM
You're just jealous that you don't have the sufficient technique to tackle this monster work!

That is true. As I've stated elsewhere, for the life of me I just cannot get it in under 4'37.  :-[
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:05 PM

AHAHAHA

I believe you mean "wrongly accused".  :P

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 01:29:16 PM
wongly accused

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 12:17:55 AM
wongly accused

No, I think he's rightfully accused. 

Besides, that's always what they say when they're rightfully accused!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 01:02:15 AM
No, I think he's rightfully accused. 

Then you are wrong.

Besides, that's always what they say when they're rightfully accused!

Also when they are wrongly accused.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 02:41:14 AM

This is actually untrue.  Due to the nature of language, certain native languages produce more musicians than other languages.  This is due, in part, to the complexities of pronunciation of different words and the natural training of the ear that goes along with understanding it.  Very generically, Asian languages tend to have more subtlety in the tonality differences used in pronouncing similar words.  This gives them a more natural 'musicians ear', so to speak.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 02:44:35 AM

Also when they are wrongly accused.

They word it differently.  You didn't word it the way a person who was wrongly accused would word it.  So you're rightfully accused.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:12 AM
This is actually untrue.  Due to the nature of language, certain native languages produce more musicians than other languages.  This is due, in part, to the complexities of pronunciation of different words and the natural training of the ear that goes along with understanding it.  Very generically, Asian languages tend to have more subtlety in the tonality differences used in pronouncing similar words.  This gives them a more natural 'musicians ear', so to speak.

Many Asian languages are classified as tone languages, that it, it is musically melodic compared to German or English.  However, this doesn't make Asians better at interpreting Western music, which uses different cadences and such.  It's a different language, thus they are still bound to the learning as others.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:00 PM
There are two Asian pianists in my studio, and they are by far the most musically gifted lol!  They have spent lots of time working CAREFULLY on technique, and really understand all the underlying harmony/voicing/musical elements.  They are also really nice, normal people.

Also, Lang Lang did a master class at the NAC in Ottawa recently and I'd have to say he was extremely insightful.  People hate him because he's 'showy' and plays loud; but he can play the hell out of the instrument, and he had a way of connecting with the three students at the master class.  He was really animated, acknowledged the audience, and gave suggestions for interpretation (not on how to play a part faster or louder).  Kind of a tangent, but I wanted to add that.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 08:25:02 PM
Many Asian languages are classified as tone languages, that it, it is musically melodic compared to German or English.  However, this doesn't make Asians better at interpreting Western music, which uses different cadences and such.  It's a different language, thus they are still bound to the learning as others.

I understand languages such as Vietnamese and Mandarin are tone languages.  Tonal languages have nothing to do with musicality, but instead it's about inflection within the pronunciation.  They have nothing to do with western vs. eastern cadences and whether or not the are melodic.  The tone inflections of the language pronunciation are very subtle and can be outside of the eastern scale, so it has nothing to do with what kind of music they are exposed to.  

The point is that native speakers of these languages can recognize smaller pitch changes.  92% of Mandarin speakers that started musical training before age 5 could recognize perfect pitches (naming the pitch of a note without a reference note).  Comparitively, 8% of English speakers with the same training could recognize them.  Also, American-Asians with native English and moderate Mandarin fell in between these ranges.  Additionally, non-musically trained English speakers can do this at a rate of .01% (I don't have the comparitive Mandarin statistic though).  The first numbers indicate a language link and not a genetic link.  

Additionally, in testing repetition of the same spoken words at different time intervals of tone language speakers found that the repetition of the same words several days apart varied by a pitch change of only a quarter of a step.  Phonetically similar words with minor inflection changes can mean completely different things in these tone languages.  In Mandarin, the word "wei" with different inflections can mean tiny, surround, tail, and feed.  I'm not sure I could name any word in English that has an inflection causing different meanings.  Our only inflections are relevent to what syllable we emphasize.  I started piano at 5, and if I could have minor inflection changes, I probably wouldn't have been asked to mouth the words in chorus when I was 10.

Basically, what these numbers indicate is that the 'musicians ear' is trained by language and not musical exposure.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:34 PM
In Mandarin, and other tone languages, everyone speaks in the same "key".  There is normal fluctuation of the central pitch but it is quickly normalized when people speak to each other.  If they didn't normalize, they would sound out of tune.  It would be polymodal.

Tone languages do have things to do with musicality.  It's fundamentally melodic and understanding melody is the key to good phrasing.  This is why people who speak tone languages naturally prefer playing Chopin because of the central focus on melody; it's easier to understand.

I never understood why my first piano teacher liked Chopin and Schubert so much because I didn't like their music.  I preferred music that was slightly percussive, like English is percussive.

This is probably why musical phrasing was such a difficult concept for me to understand.  It was such a subtle thing that I didn't notice it and didn't feel it.  But now that I do, I use it to judge the quality of a performance.  It's strange that performances that I once thought was very good turned out to be quite bad and irritating because of the lack of phrasing.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 11:02:05 PM
How is it possible people speak in the same key? Regardless of tonal or musical language, everyone's vocal chords are different.  Every individual is tonally different regardless of language.  The only thing that the language necessitates is the numeric change in pitch. If the pronunciation for a specific word needs to move half a step down, it doesn't matter which note it starts on whether it be from A to A-flat or B to B-flat.  Back and forth discussions aren't polymodal, simply due to each statement being their own distinct phrase.  People may end up drifting towards a similar key simply from human nature, though. Only in singing do people actually adjust their key as a necessity, since clearly it would sound atrocious if they didn't.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not asserting that musicality has nothing to do with tonal languages.  My point was that language musicality is not what is affecting my comment on percentages of musicians, but the fact that their native language is full of tonal inflection.  I'm saying that 'musician's ear' is not derived from the musicality of their speech patterns, or their musical exposure. It's simply from the fact that they are exposed to inflection in speech patterns from birth. This allows them to have a natural inclination for hearing slight pitch changes, or else they wouldn't understand anyone speaking to them.

In regards to your preferences about performances, people just tend to have a bias towards their primary exposure.  I personally always believed that the first version I ever heard of each piece was the best, until I actually learned musicality (just as you said).

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:20:51 PM
People do have different vocal structures which results in unique pitches if they opened up their mouths and say "awww".  (The last time I checked, my normal pitch was about B-flat.)  However, when speaking to other people, we hear that the pitches are out of tune and adjust immediately because dissonance sounds bad.

For example, my toddler nephew's normal pitch was much lower than what was spoken to him.  He sounded out of tune when he made sounds and when he learned to speak.  However, he has since learned the normal speaking pitch which is higher than he spoke before.

Speaking in the same key is normal for all languages, not just tone languages.  However, it is most noticeable in tone languages because vowels are emphasized.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:39 PM
This may be the reason why I prefer the key of B-flat Major; it's my natural vocal pitch.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 02:02:40 AM
People do have different vocal structures which results in unique pitches if they opened up their mouths and say "awww".  (The last time I checked, my normal pitch was about B-flat.)  However, when speaking to other people, we hear that the pitches are out of tune and adjust immediately because dissonance sounds bad.

For example, my toddler nephew's normal pitch was much lower than what was spoken to him.  He sounded out of tune when he made sounds and when he learned to speak.  However, he has since learned the normal speaking pitch which is higher than he spoke before.

Speaking in the same key is normal for all languages, not just tone languages.  However, it is most noticeable in tone languages because vowels are emphasized.

I seriously imagined a toddler speaking in a deep voice while little spots of drool and boogers are still smudged upon his face. LOL
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline clavile

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 04:34:54 PM
I see no reason to hate Asians. I think they're inspiring!!!

I mean, if somebody who's 5 is playing a piece I played at 13, that should inspire me to push harder, not fuss!!

I have some Asian friends who are ALL wonderful pianists, and VERY musical.

Asians not only push in piano, but everything else. It's just the way the culture is, and people can hate it or be inspired by it. The people who hate them for it are just stupid, because if they were willing to they could get off their lazy butts and work just as hard and excel just as much as many Asians do, rather than sitting around and complaining about how the Asians "dominate".

If you're sitting around and complaining rather than studying, who's the loser?

Asians tend to take advantage of the opportunities offered in America, and we should be just as eager as they are. We are blessed to have a nation where education and books ABOUND, when other nations have nothing to offer their children.

Joy,
Student/Teacher

Student of 4 years

Currently Practicing:
Pirates Of the Carribean- Jarrod Radnich
Mozart Concerto, 2 Piano
Bach Invention
Mozart Rondo

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 09:35:11 PM
You sound just like my white friend, Clavile!  She meets a couple of Asians and thinks they represent ALL Asians.  She's white, btw.  And lives in the Dallas/Houston area.

This is the point where I say, "white people..." *shakes head in exasperation.* ::)

Meanwhile, African Americans like to do drugs.  They deal drugs.  They hang out in large groups of other African Americans wearing the same colors.  They don't to school, they go to prison.  They like to beat people up and rob liquor stores.  Oh, and they have dark skin and are very arrogant!  One of them is even the president of the United States!

The above statement could just as easily apply to some Asians, except for the president part.  Asians haven't achieved that kind of racial equality yet. ;D

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 08:44:38 PM
Well, guess what? A lot of Asian pianists I've encountered on youtube play the piano without emotion or too fast making it seem emotionless. I don't like it one bit. But then again, you have some great, great Asian pianists. Ray Mak is a great example.

I'm not gonna say I like Lang Lang, but I'm not saying I dislike his art either.

Get me a piano player who can play like Valentina Lisitsa or better yet; Glenn Gould. Now there's a true master of the piano.

It's cool that a 5 year old can do all those things, really cool, but.....Why would it matter if he doesn't put his soul into it? Just playing to please one's parents is just not good and perchance takes the emotion from playing. If the kid really likes the piano, you'll notice in the way he or she is playing.

But in all truth, if they would damn PLAY A LITTLE BIT SLOWER, it would sound so much better. Now it just sounds too fast like they want to get it over with, here a perfect example:

Compare that (the way she is playing) to this wonderful masterpiece:

Notice the obvious difference?

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 09:18:02 PM
ranniks,

Don't bang on other people's interpretations. What is 'soul' or 'emotion' to you? Do you expect everyone to contend to your standard of art?

I'm guessing that Cziffra's interpretation of the Chopin 10/4 would totally disgust you. Yes, it's totally ridiculous in speed and the tempo fluctuations, but personally I think that it captures the intensity of the piece quite well.

And about the prodigy thing; yes, it's sometimes annoying when some six year old can play a Chopin Etude better than you, but inability to understand the piece enough to be able to produce a mature interpretation doesn't restrict them from developing technically to achieve their desired standard later on.

Yeah, it does matter. It's not a waste.

Rereading my post, I probably came off as a little hostile, and I apologize. Still, I cringe a little whenever I see a vague criticism involving musicality.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 09:46:51 PM
I don't the idea that somehow Asian-ness makes a musician "unmusical".  So being Azn makes you unmusical.  It's not an Azn thing, it's a poor teaching/poor learning/poor technique/lack of awareness thing that ALL pianists can go through.

The Waldstein sonata example is clearly a poor technique thing.  Poor technique leads to poor hearing.  Poor hearing leads to poor musicianship.  The pianist just happens to be Azn but many pianists who are not Azn play poorly just like her.

Offline emrysmerlin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:04 AM
[edit:To Ranniks:] Yundi Li's pretty good at interpreting Chopin.

Offline clavile

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38:03 AM
You sound just like my white friend, Clavile!  She meets a couple of Asians and thinks they represent ALL Asians.  She's white, btw.  And lives in the Dallas/Houston area.

This is the point where I say, "white people..." *shakes head in exasperation.* ::)

Meanwhile, African Americans like to do drugs.  They deal drugs.  They hang out in large groups of other African Americans wearing the same colors.  They don't to school, they go to prison.  They like to beat people up and rob liquor stores.  Oh, and they have dark skin and are very arrogant!  One of them is even the president of the United States!

The above statement could just as easily apply to some Asians, except for the president part.  Asians haven't achieved that kind of racial equality yet. ;D

Nah... I'm pretty sure you know what I meant.

Many Asians play piano right? Did I say all? No. Do all Asians push in areas of work and school? No, But many do.

If I'm standing around in a circle with friends, and I have 14 of them, 7 of which are sick, if I say "Dude, everybody's sick today!" Does everybody turn around and snap at me,  "NO, we're not ALL sick!" No, because that part is understood

Joy,
Student/Teacher

Student of 4 years

Currently Practicing:
Pirates Of the Carribean- Jarrod Radnich
Mozart Concerto, 2 Piano
Bach Invention
Mozart Rondo

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:34 AM
It's called "tall poppy syndrome". There are so many exceptional Asian pianists that people have to try and degrade their achievements with their opionative garbage. Normal human reaction, although I wonder if it will be the same when most of the world speaks Chinese in a few decades from now.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 01:31:36 AM
It's called "tall poppy syndrome". ... I wonder if it will be the same when most of the world speaks Chinese in a few decades from now.

No, it will be called 高大罂粟花综合征

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:19 AM
Yeah thats how to say it in Chinese, but I wonder if the effect will last for Chinese pianists in years to come, I'm assuming not.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:04 PM

Notice the obvious difference?

please tell me you are not comparing a student in a master class to Glenn Gould--I know the point you are trying to make but it would have been far more effective if you found a non-Asian student vid--and there are plenty--for comparison...

Asians do tend to get a bad rap--but I can tell you from 2 decades of teaching that not ALL of them have that gift....lol...I have seen some pretty bad Asian students :) it's sad because most of their Tiger-Mom parents will not accept the fact that their Asian child is not Lang-Lang. they push them so hard that any chance they may have had at enjoying playing music is lost...

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 04:18:24 PM
Why would anyone hate Asians?? They are small modest hard working people who have the genes for playing the piano. Just like black people have the genes for singing (the blues), dancing and playing basketball. And the Finns have the genes for drinking too much and killing each other/themselves before passing out. It's always good to know what to expect from certain people ;)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:03 PM
Why would anyone hate Asians?? They are small modest hard working people who have the genes for playing the piano. Just like black people have the genes for singing (the blues), dancing and playing basketball. And the Finns have the genes for drinking too much and killing each other/themselves before passing out. It's always good to know what to expect from certain people ;)

you are awesome-- ;D  too funny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 12:20:01 AM

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19:27 PM

Now that my friends, is true piano feeling. Kid is gonna grow up to be a great musician. It doesn't seem to me at all that he is forced to play or such. By my ears he is actually playing from the heart. Love me some good played Bach! :)

Offline emedylinaira

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 05:03:22 PM
Being a Chinese person myself, I am definitely sure that not all Asians are good pianists. Of course, in a school environment, it's very easy to "hate on Asians" - because of the amount of Asians that succeed, play instruments, etc.

Someone posted earlier about how "Tiger moms" simply won't accept that their kid isn't the next Lang Lang - I cannot imagine my mother like that. She is quite the opposite of a Tiger mom ("Mom, I don't want to do my homework..." "Then don't do it!") - but those who are, they don't want their kid studying music in university. They don't want their kid making music their career, unless they truly are phenomenal, and at some point they'll realize it. Grades are emphasized already, of course - so it's not like their child won't have a future!!

It's just a stereotype problem. I lived until 9 in the Dallas area, and the elementary school I went to was about 60% Chinese. I have the feeling sometimes that my mother put me in piano lessons at 4 because all her other Chinese mother friends were doing the same. (I agreed to it though. Or at least I think I did. It's all a blur, but I do not regret continuing to play piano throughout the years.)
working on:
Rachmaninoff - Prelude in G minor, op 23 no 5
Beethoven - Sonata no 14, mvt 3
Beethoven - Piano concerto no 4, mvt 2

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:58 PM
I agree that there are way too many stereotypes about Asians in general.  Asians are not a large percentage of the population in most places, and as a result, stereotypes are formed from the limited interactions with Asians or simply from watching movies which include Asian characters.

For example, my friend's mom is from Korea.  One time she visited her daughter here in the States and while riding the elevator up to her apartment, a black man got on.  Immediately, she became scared and hid behind her daughter because she thought the black man would murder her.  The only information she had about black men were from movies, which happens to depict black men as murderers, rapists, gang members, and committing other violent crimes.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert