Piano Forum

Topic: Which piano should I keep?  (Read 7422 times)

Offline flajsan

• PS Silver Member
Which piano should I keep?
on: January 15, 2013, 08:08:26 PM
I have 2 different pianos. One piano by mark "Petrof" and one by mark "Adolph Geyer Hof Pianoforte fabrik Eisenberg". Can anyone recommend me which one to keep? The other one, I shall sell.
Kind regards
Liselott

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which piano should I keep?
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:39 PM
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but... which one do you prefer to play?  Which feels and sounds better to you?  I'd keep that one!
Ian

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:04:30 PM
Are they grands or uprights? And also what condition are they in? Are they both old pianos? Has either of them been renovated? Some old pianos need a lot of work done before they are playable, which can be very expensive.

Offline flajsan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:34:51 PM
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but... which one do you prefer to play?  Which feels and sounds better to you?  I'd keep that one!

Hello! I don't know how old they are, they are both upright. None of them have been renovated what I know of, but you're right.....I should keep the one who feels best :)

Offline withindale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:10:14 PM
Let the market decide. Put them both up for sale.

If both go you'll be able to get one you really like.

Offline hbofinger

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:49:02 PM
Petrof if is well known brand from the Czech Republic. They are considered high quality home instruments, i.e. you are not likely to hear one on stage, but they are in many private homes.

You won't find many resources in English on it on the Adolph Geyer, but it seems they were founded in 1877. Rebuilt value in Germany is about Euro 2,200 as of January 2013. I found one advertised in Germany, and unlike here in the U.S., there is much less of a tendency to haggle in Germany (I am German). They were a very successful producer and were very high in the "Golden Years". It is insinuated in one posting in German one the web that they ceased in 1943, but I don't know how accurate that is. Also, supposedly they were superseded (i.e. either taken over, or rebranded) by the "Wilhelm Steinberg" label.

Both are probably quality instruments. The rebuilt one will most likely be more valuable by a long shot, and considering the market outside Germany I suspect the Petrof is the one that has been redone.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert