Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: worthwhile chopin etudes  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
worthwhile chopin etudes
on: February 16, 2003, 08:03:40 AM
Hey all,

I'm posting all over the place today!

I'm thinking about doing a (or some) Chopin etudes... I haven't done any yet.  By the age of twenty (I'm now 15) I want to have them all down, but where should I start?  They're all pretty tricky, but where should I start?  Which are the "easiest?"  (Except the "butterfly!...")  

Also, some pieces (like his first scherzo) are really FUN to play, what etudes are really fun (that give you the little "tingly" feeling in your hands, if you know what I mean) to play?

All tips/advice is welcome.

Martin
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
Re: worthwhile chopin etudes
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 08:24:28 AM
P.S. I don't mean that any Chopin etudes are not worthwhile... don't get me wrong on that!  They're all wonderful!!
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it

Offline willcowskitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 12:25:53 AM

Hi!

I'm 19 years old.

p.s. I was born in 1983.

p.p.s. CHOPIN SUCKS!!!!

p.p.p.s Its "Rachmaninoff"!

p.p.p.p.s Remember me now.

Offline Le-ackt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 12:05:09 PM
Willcowskitz Dude , Chopin ROCKS ~
Rachminonoff Rocks too but in different dimensions.
Rach , I would give you a advise
start from 1 , 4 , 12 all the speed demending
but while spending time in perfecting them or speeding them up
learn the slow one , but tricky one like 2 or 5
i have some advise for you
Each is my completed or plan-to-complete Etudes
OPus 1 - 1 (must play) , 2 , 4 , 8 , 9 ,12 ( must play )
Opus 25 - 2 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 11 ( must play ), 12 ( must play )

Offline veimar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 09:37:21 PM
Don't start with op 10 #1, it's a horrible one! I started with it haven been played around 7 studies, but it was so hard!  :o
If you haven't done op. posh yet, try it, it's a fun to compare with op.10 & 25. Then maybe Revolutionary (op.10 #12) and op.25 ##1,2,24. 24 seemes not very difficult for me as I play it a lot, but some people say it's very hard!
Why don't you ask your teacher? Chopin studies is very serious work to do, so you need a lot of advice, I think...
Anyway, good luck with it!
M.W.

Offline Le-ackt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 07:49:33 AM
dude , that's why you have to start with the first one (fast one). but DO NOT RUSH IT . and take time to Perfect it and while doing that , learn another one and my experience is that you actually save more time than doing it one after one and one .
The speed one is actually the one which would take more time than the rest , and if you stuck at one , you are wasting time , becos speed could only build by Time . Is impossible for me to do No.1 in weeks . That's why while practicing it in progression but yet Perfection . Learn another one and this Process is more effective and efficient . that's actually my personal experience

Offline SteveK

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 07:51:53 PM
Etude no. 2, op. 25
"And you probably thought I'd play badly?" - Sergei Rachmaninoff.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert