Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What kind of shirt is this?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
What kind of shirt is this?
on: April 22, 2013, 02:31:18 AM
Okay so I was watching a concert today right?  And the conductor had this AWESOME shirt!!!

It was all black, and it had these weird buttons on it.  The collar doesn't fold down like the traditional ones, and I don't think you button the cuffs either.  Ugh, this is hard to explain.  Maybe this will help you catch my drift...

https://www.hkphil.org/eng/concerts_and_ticket/artists/artistsdetail.jsp?id=923.

The picture on the right...  What's the name of that shirt?!?!?!  The buttons on the one I saw wasn't exactly like that, but they must be the same type of shirt.  Here's another one:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/promotions/7521453/Stephen-Hough-The-Romantic-Piano-Concerto-Vol.-50-Tchaikovsky.html

The picture on the left.  Stephen Hough is the best dressed pianist I think.

The first person who tells me I will spare your life when I end the world.

And an extra bonus if you can give me a good website where I can buy one of these.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: What kind of shirt is this?
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:21:14 AM
It's called a Nehru Jacket.  Here's why:

A google search should give you plenty of choices.  They are often worn here by waiters and hotel staff, so you might use that as an extra clue
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:55:28 AM
Well, looks like YOU'RE saved, jmenz...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:08:43 AM
Well, looks like YOU'RE saved, jmenz...

Given the rather onerous preconditions to everyone else's fate, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Nice to have the insurance, though.

The jackets themselves were actually the height of cool in the 60's, mostly in quite groovy colours. Just a little too early for me, unfortunately.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:19:02 AM
Well, i had one.  Which puts me at about .. years of age.   :-\

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:43 AM
Well, i had one.  Which puts me at about .. years of age.   :-\

I prefer not to be bound by the geocentric year. Every birthday I just move my frame of reference to a planet with a slightly larger orbit. It's kept me at 18 for yonks.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:52:06 AM
Yonks?  How does that wilde saying go?  The english and the americans have everything in common...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:07:03 AM
Yonks?  How does that wilde saying go?  The english and the americans have everything in common...

Yonks = a long time. Origin uncertain.

I keep assuming that the internet will finally teach Americans to speak their mother tongue.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:24:21 AM
Spoken like a true australian...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert