Piano Forum

Topic: If you had a super power, what would it be?  (Read 9063 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
If you had a super power, what would it be?
on: August 03, 2013, 02:36:23 AM
I would want the power to make anyone fall in love with me!

Of course though I wouldn't abuse it, I would only reserve that power for one person... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

But of course, I wouldn't need to use it in the first place!  As long as I have Outin by my side!   ;D
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: If you had a super power, what would it be?
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:39:16 AM
within reason that's arguably a skill that you can learn...

I choose flight.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:53:26 AM

I choose flight.

I wonder how would that fare with J Menz. 

Would you switch superpowers when you switch to J Menz's personality?!

I wonder what he has!!!

By the power vested in me, I summon you J Menz!!!  To share with us what super power you would want!!!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 03:01:14 AM
Not exactly a super power, but probably that of more rapid learning and understanding. Ever since schooldays I would still be thinking about lesson three while the rest of the class studied lesson forty-three, and music has been no exception. It is likely part of the reason I have spent my life creating my own music; because I am hopeless at understanding anybody else's. I am not necessarily complaining, a naive approach from first principles carries its own peculiar advantages. However, I really would like to be able to read a book or treatise of substance or complexity without the compulsive pondering and paging backwards and forwards which invariably accompany such an endeavour.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 06:45:45 AM
Well, obviously I could use a super memory...but if that's not available, I might like the idea of being able to make any people  I want vanish from the earth...for good...
I guess we have something common with R-4 after all  ;D

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:21 AM
I would want the power to make anyone fall in love with me!

Omg, I would totally want that as a super power, as well. But I would choose the power to charm anyone with amazing beauty and intelligence...hehe.

Even more important would be perfect, indestructible hearing, though.  :-*
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:33:18 AM
But I would choose the power to charm anyone with amazing beauty and intelligence...hehe.

Aren't you doing that already? :)

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:14:31 AM
If you had a super power, what would it be?

Time travel, not necessarily physically, but in my mind. :)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline maitea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 12:55:12 PM
I'm not sure I've thought this through enough.. first thing that came to mind was immortality.

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 01:03:35 PM
I'm not sure I've thought this through enough.. first thing that came to mind was immortality.

Not sure about that, haven't you seen Highlander?
Currently learning:
Mendelssohn 19/6           Chopin 28/4
Satie Je Te Veux            Rach C#m
Poulenc Bal Fantome       Chopin 28/20
Schubert Serenade         Chopin 15/3
Chopin 10/9

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 01:11:52 PM
Not sure about that, haven't you seen Highlander?

Didn't think of immortality as a super power, but I certainly wouldn't mind living forever...if nothing else, just to see how forever looks like...It's hard to see how living could ever become boring, especially since I get to do it with my favorite person :)
And so much piano literature to learn...a few hundred years would be nothing...and if I knew I had the time I could take up playing the harp too!

Offline maitea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 01:18:25 PM
Haven't seen Highlander.. Had to wikipedia it :) But fighting other immortals is not my idea of living for eternity ;) (I also read they could die if beheaded, so that also defies what I understand for immortality!)

@outin, I agree! I think I'd pick up the violin ;)

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 01:19:31 PM
You'd have to be immortal at a younger age though, iykwim, somewhere between 25 and 50 I reckon. I know 50 isn't old...but you seem to lose energy as you get older. Imagine living forever and just getting older and more decrepit, that would be some kind of curse. If you were immortal could you kill yourself?

BTW, Highlander is an amazing film! The follow ups are a bit dire though.
Currently learning:
Chopin 10/9

Offline maitea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 01:24:18 PM
Oh, of course! I should have clarify...! I'd become immortal now. Before 30 :) Not too young, not too old :) Again, my view of immortality would be that I wouldn't get older physically, just wiser!

I'll watch it. (Sounds like something my other half would really enjoy! Easy browny point for me! hahaha)

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 01:34:42 PM

You may want to think again, yes, unless you are very good at saying goodbye to all those people you will like/love, but who don't have that immortality. Sounds like a punishment to me. ;)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 01:39:21 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=52023.msg564788#msg564788 date=1375536882
You may want to think again, yes, unless you are very good at saying goodbye to all those people you will like/love, but who don't have that immortality. Sounds like a punishment to me. ;)

That's why I mentioned Highlander!

@Maitea I'm a woman and I enjoyed it! My other half loves it! I'll stop banging on about it now.
Currently learning:
Chopin 10/9

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 01:57:45 PM
whilst invisibility is the first thing that comes to thought. secret war rooms, restricted areas, change roo.. ahem, goss on your friends and boss, it seems like too much effort, all that hiding and waiting. id probably prefer just to read minds. although id probably still suck at poker.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 02:20:07 PM
Oh, of course! I should have clarify...! I'd become immortal now. Before 30 :) Not too young, not too old :) Again, my view of immortality would be that I wouldn't get older physically, just wiser!

I would be quite happy getting the immortality still at the very old age of 46  ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 02:24:50 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=52023.msg564788#msg564788 date=1375536882

Other people are not so important that I would give up my immortality for them...And I always assumed I would be the only one with that. Definitely better not to share forever with anyone...

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 02:40:19 PM
Definitely better not to share forever with anyone...

I think that would depend on the person you're sharing it with, Shirley?
Currently learning:
Chopin 10/9

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 02:45:32 PM
I think that would depend on the person you're sharing it with, Shirley?
Don't know who Shirley is...but it might get uncomfortable if there was someone around who knows too much about your (thousand years or more) past  :P

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 03:08:40 PM

About 1.05ish. I'm beginning to think I watch too many films.
But what if you've shared the thousand years with the same person, so you'd know all about their past too.
Currently learning:
Chopin 10/9

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 03:18:48 PM

About 1.05ish. I'm beginning to think I watch too many films.
But what if you've shared the thousand years with the same person, so you'd know all about their past too.
Oh that  ;D
The video didn't work but of course I've seen the film...I've watched a huge amount of films too, but I don't memorize the lines  ;)

Why would I want to know all about someone else's past?
The fun part of living forever when others don't is that you'll get to start over with a new generation of people every 100 years or so :)

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 03:30:47 PM

Oh that  ;D
The video didn't work but of course I've seen the film...I've watched a huge amount of films too, but I don't memorize the lines  ;)

Strange it doesn't work, seems fine here, ah well, such is life. You get the idea :)

Why would I want to know all about someone else's past?
The fun part of living forever when others don't is that you'll get to start over with a new generation of people every 100 years or so :)

Maybe you wouldn't, but if they know all about yours it puts you on level pegging. You could torture each other for eternity. Literally ;)

But what happens if you like the people from the current 100 years or so?

You'd have to go through losing the people closest to you over and over again, which I suppose would be an advantage when playing pieces in a minor key....

Currently learning:
Chopin 10/9

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 03:57:11 PM

Maybe you wouldn't, but if they know all about yours it puts you on level pegging. You could torture each other for eternity. Literally ;)

I am not into torturing people...I have some virtues at least...

But what happens if you like the people from the current 100 years or so?

You'd have to go through losing the people closest to you over and over again, which I suppose would be an advantage when playing pieces in a minor key....

This might sound a bit harsh, but people are expendable...there's no need to get too attached to them...

Obviously living forever is not for faint-hearted :)

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 10:27:54 PM

This might sound a bit harsh, but people are expendable...there's no need to get too attached to them...

Ya but with eternity or eternal life in the human form, first you have to stop thinking in terms of a thousand years and make the intervals more like a million or two or three or a billion. With my mind and memory skill ? Ya right, you think I'm gonna remember who I tortured or if I tortured them a million years from now ?

This eternity thing has me buffaloed anyway , if there is eternity how can we live for only years  ? How can everything in life be timed out ? If there is eternity, then there is no time, it's irrelevant isn't it ? Now I want to know who made up the term eternity in the first place and what dimension is timed life actually in  !!
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 10:59:27 PM

Let's say one day, I develop another personality like J Menz, and my other personality decides to throw you off a cliff and into a pit with lava and death spikes and lava sharks.

Would you still wanna be immortal?

Of course though, I would NEVER do that to you!  Because I like you and I think you're a good person. :)

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 11:45:58 PM
I wouldn't want a super power... I'd want to be a wizard/ with. Hagrid, just come to my house already and say "Yer a wizard!)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Beethoven Sonata 2/2, 10/3
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1
Ligeti Musica Ricercata 10

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 11:49:52 PM
I wouldn't want a super power... I'd want to be a wizard/ with. Hagrid, just come to my house already and say "Yer a wizard!)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But mind reading would be pretty cool too. I would know what people were thinking about me. And be like "Yo, why do you think I'm an idiot and look like a prune" and they'd be like   :o
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Beethoven Sonata 2/2, 10/3
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1
Ligeti Musica Ricercata 10

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:01 AM
I'd go for immortality, the good one without any catches.  There's always a catch in those deals.  Something like I'd have to be immortal but still have a normal appearance etc.  Otherwise you end up wandering around as a shadow, technically immortal but not quite what I meant.

Short of that the ability to heal or regenerate quickly.  Similar to immortality but not so far.

Living so long is going to be a problem eventually though. People are going to start looking into it.  Maybe plenty of intelligence so I could hack the system and change my age and background info.

And money.  That would be good.

I'd go for having a lot of energy throughout the day.  Also good.

I did recently hear about someone saying if you became immortal the chances of you ending up immobilized become greater.  At some point, you end up in a situation where you're stuck, but you're not dead either.  

Or maybe something like being able to heal.  Heal myself.  Heal other people.  They'd pay me if I saved their life.  Then there would be more people around to continue developing things.  *Bob thinks he'd probably be lazy and just heal the whole world at once instead of trying to deal with individual people.*  I'd probably end up with people trying to thank me and that would get really old after a while.  That's all I'd ever hear.  I'd probably be sorry I healed everyone if they didn't shut up about it after a while.  So it would have to all be anonymous.  Or I could just not do it all and I'd be right here where I am now.  That's what you get for trying to heal the world.  If people weren't so polite all the time maybe I'd do that.  Well I'm not doing it now.  I get enough spam in my email as it is.  Someone would find my email address and then I'd be inundated with spam 'thank yous.'  

Let's see... I could go more memory, more brainpower, more creativity...  

The ability to eat whatever I wanted with no side effects.  Or the ability to survive without eating.  That would save some time and money.

Enhanced strength.

Ability not to get sick.  A super immune system.  

Are we limited to just one?  Flying would be ok. I know I'm going to hit bugs though.  Flying + a helmet to keep bugs from hitting me in the face.  Teleportation... Just skip the flying part that way.  

Seeing in the dark.  That might be useful.  Some kind of super hearing?

Good one -- Allergies. Just get rid of them.  That would really super.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 03:16:07 AM
I'd go for immortality, the good one without any catches.  There's always a catch in those deals.  Something like I'd have to be immortal but still have a normal appearance etc.  Otherwise you end up wandering around as a shadow, technically immortal but not quite what I meant.

Short of that the ability to heal or regenerate quickly.  Similar to immortality but not so far.

Living so long is going to be a problem eventually though. People are going to start looking into it.  Maybe plenty of intelligence so I could hack the system and change my age and background info.

I'd go for having a lot of energy throughout the day.  Also good.

I did recently hear about someone saying if you became immortal the chances of you ending up immobilized become greater.  At some point, you end up in a situation where you're stuck, but you're not dead either.  

Or maybe something like being able to heal.  Heal myself.  Heal other people.  They'd pay me if I saved their life.  Then there would be more people around to continue developing things.  *Bob thinks he'd probably be lazy and just heal the whole world at once instead of trying to deal with individual people.*  I'd probably end up with people trying to thank me and that would get really old after a while.  That's all I'd ever hear.  I'd probably be sorry I healed everyone if they didn't shut up about it after a while.  So it would have to all be anonymous.  Or I could just not do it all and I'd be right here where I am now.  That's what you get for trying to heal the world.  If people weren't so polite all the time maybe I'd do that.  Well I'm not doing it now.  I get enough spam in my email as it is.  Someone would find my email address and then I'd be inundated with spam 'thank yous.'  

Let's see... I could go more memory, more brainpower, more creativity...  

The ability to eat whatever I wanted with no side effects.  Or the ability to survive without eating.  That would save some time and money.

Enhanced strength.

Ability not to get sick.  A super immune system.  

Are we limited to just one?  Flying would be ok. I know I'm going to hit bugs though.  Flying + a helmet to keep bugs from hitting me in the face.  Teleportation... Just skip the flying part that way.  

Seeing in the dark.  That might be useful.  Some kind of super hearing?

Good one -- Allergies. Just get rid of them.  That would really super.

A superpower!

You can't have all of them!!!

Pick one and stick with it!!! >:(

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 04:37:53 AM
All right.  I choose the superpower to have other superpowers. 

*Bob transmogrifies into a chicken.*  Wait, wait. That's not what I meant. Let me try again.

*Bob transmogrifies into an elephant.*

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 04:45:43 AM
All right.  I choose the superpower to have other superpowers. 

*Bob transmogrifies into a chicken.*  Wait, wait. That's not what I meant. Let me try again.

*Bob transmogrifies into an elephant.*
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Don't make me make you suffer the same fate as J Menz!!!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 05:07:22 AM
Let's say one day, I develop another personality like J Menz, and my other personality decides to throw you off a cliff and into a pit with lava and death spikes and lava sharks.

Would you still wanna be immortal?
Of course! One part of living is to have new experiences. I'd get out of there eventually...I'd have the time :)

I am not quite sure about the rules though...if the sharks ate my hands, would I grow new ones or would I just keep on living without them? Never mind, I could always get new ones...in fact you'd probably feel obliged to give me a pair after such a nasty trick  ;)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 05:10:46 AM

Just think about it...if you save only a dollar every year, after million years you'd be a millionaire  ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55:08 AM
Ya but with eternity or eternal life in the human form, first you have to stop thinking in terms of a thousand years and make the intervals more like a million or two or three or a billion. With my mind and memory skill ? Ya right, you think I'm gonna remember who I tortured or if I tortured them a million years from now ?

This eternity thing has me buffaloed anyway , if there is eternity how can we live for only years  ? How can everything in life be timed out ? If there is eternity, then there is no time, it's irrelevant isn't it ? Now I want to know who made up the term eternity in the first place and what dimension is timed life actually in  !!

I have never really cared for time...I don't wear a watch or count days...if you asked me what I did yesterday, I wouldn't remember...so for me it wouldn't make much difference whether I lived 80 or 8000 years...only the world around me would probably change a bit. Would be interesting to see how...

I just wonder...if I lived forever and the human race managed to blow up this globe finally, would I get to live in the space? Cool :)
It would take me light years to get to another galaxy, but since I'd have unlimited time, I'm sure I would finally get to something interesting...must not forget my towel ;)

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 09:46:14 AM
It would take me light years to get to another galaxy, but since I'd have unlimited time, I'm sure I would finally get to something interesting...must not forget my towel ;)

No indeed not that, and your toothbrush, my mother always said to brush my teeth. That's important stuff with immortality ! How will you get your piano there, to that new galaxy ?

Now I'm thinking if I can be immortal I want to find a new galaxy too ! So maybe that's my immortality wish. I'll have to think about this some more.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 09:50:46 AM
I cant help but feel that immortality would significantly diminish the value of life in the present..

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 09:53:59 AM

I choose flight.

Cool ! I've often though  that if I could be as free as birds look to be but I know they are not really, then I would like to be able to fly around like they do.

So David goes off to grow wings ? I don't think so, I want to fly without the wings if I could be granted the ability to fly.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 09:59:33 AM
How will you get your piano there, to that new galaxy ?

I will just have to get a new one when I arrive...or build one...but I'm sure they have pianos as well...how could they not?

The time spent traveling must be mental practice I guess...or at least silent, no sound projection in a vacuum...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 11:38:15 AM
I will just have to get a new one when I arrive...or build one...but I'm sure they have pianos as well...how could they not?

The time spent traveling must be mental practice I guess...or at least silent, no sound projection in a vacuum...

Ah, so that's when you finally get your new piano then, wonderful then !!

My wife has told me that we are never getting rid of my Henry F Miller parlor grand piano, so I guess I have to find a way to transport that to my new galaxy. I must remember my tuning hammer !

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:01 AM
Cool ! I've often though  that if I could be as free as birds look to be but I know they are not really, then I would like to be able to fly around like they do.

So David goes off to grow wings ? I don't think so, I want to fly without the wings if I could be granted the ability to fly.

agreed.. I was going with a superman kind of ability, assuming the outfit isn't compulsory.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 12:23:01 PM
agreed.. I was going with a superman kind of ability, assuming the outfit isn't compulsory.

Ya, I was more the Lone Ranger outfit kind of kid when I was young. These days I don't see me in a cape any more than with wings ! I should have tried this immortality thing 30 years ago or more I guess. A pretty woman might have managed to get me into a cape under the right circumstances back then, one never knows !!! I was pretty dumb.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:09 AM
A pretty woman might have managed to get me into a cape under the right circumstances back then, one never knows !!! I was pretty dumb.

What would be dumb about that.. 

..oh wait, I'm probably young and stupid.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:46 AM
What would be dumb about that.. 

..oh wait, I'm probably young and stupid.

hahaha!
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 04:01:48 AM
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Don't make me make you suffer the same fate as J Menz!!!

Eh?? I have a quiet weekend off and the world goes crazy!  ::)

I have a superpower, but I'm not telling what.  :P
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:27 AM
Eh?? I have a quiet weekend off and the world goes crazy!  ::)

I have a superpower, but I'm not telling what.  :P

You are able to be two persons at the same time?  ;)

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 04:10:21 AM
You are able to be two persons at the same time?  ;)

..he owns 100% of the United States land mass.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:15 AM
*Bob morphs his superpower into the ability to understand and use any language.*

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 04:58:19 AM
*Bob morphs his superpower into the ability to understand and use any language.*
laH vay' Hol qar yaj'a'
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert