Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Questions about Upright pianos  (Read 1238 times)

Offline gn622

• PS Silver Member
Questions about Upright pianos
on: August 30, 2013, 11:06:08 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Yamaha upright because im tired of my digital one, but i have few questions

how load are upright pianos? i place my digital piano, a clavinova, in my bedroom (my room is large) and play it with the volume just a bit more than the middle, and i get no complaints whatsoever, would an upright piano be significantly louder than that?

If its not possible to place it in my bedroom, i can place it in a room in our garden but i have few concerns, first of all, the room is not connected to the house, so no one will be bothered by the sound, but im afraid that the piano will receive too much sunlight because im gonna place it near a window with no curtains. will this affect the piano in any way? and since the room is so small, will it affect the sound of the piano?

Sorry about the strange questions  :-X

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Questions about Upright pianos
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:46:51 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Yamaha upright because im tired of my digital one, but i have few questions

how load are upright pianos? i place my digital piano, a clavinova, in my bedroom (my room is large) and play it with the volume just a bit more than the middle, and i get no complaints whatsoever, would an upright piano be significantly louder than that?
Yes, an acoustic piano is usually much louder. It resonates differently.

If its not possible to place it in my bedroom, i can place it in a room in our garden but i have few concerns, first of all, the room is not connected to the house, so no one will be bothered by the sound, but im afraid that the piano will receive too much sunlight because im gonna place it near a window with no curtains. will this affect the piano in any way? and since the room is so small, will it affect the sound of the piano?
Direct sunlight might be a problem, but can you add the curtains maybe? Whether the room is too small, will depend on acoustics of the room and the size of the piano you buy.

Offline gn622

• PS Silver Member
Re: Questions about Upright pianos
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 05:30:17 PM
I guess i can add curtains so that shouldn't be a problem, now im only worried about the acoustics of the room. thanks.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert