Piano Forum logo
November 25, 2017, 11:22:58 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Steinway & the Last Son

Henry Z. Steinway, former president of Steinway & Sons and great grandson of the firm’s founder, died on September 18, 2008 at the age of 93. He was the last Steinway to run the piano-making company his family started in 1853. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-01-19: Phoenix, AZ, USA - Kimiko Ishizaka at the Arizona Bach Festival  (Read 1780 times)
opengoldberg
PS Silver Member

« on: January 09, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »

Kimiko Ishizaka, the pianist who in 2012 recorded the Open Goldberg Variations, will be performing a selection of J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I, and the Goldberg Variations, as part of the Arizona Bach Festival. The concert will be held in the Central United Methodist Church in Phoenix, AZ, on January 19, 3:00 pm. Here's a sample of Kimiko playing the WTC in the Manifold Recording Studio:
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
faulty_damper
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »

I have to agree with the other poster that it sounds lifeless; it's very dry and there's no legato.  If she added pedal, it would definitely improve the tone.  If she played legato, it would sound smoother.  The tempo could also be more flexible so it's not like a metronome.  Since you're her husband, I'll leave it to you to tell her my criticisms. Wink
ranniks
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »

This sounds mountains better than the one with the new Bosendorfer.

However, compare it to Glenn Gould:

Life is pouring out of what Gould is doing.

Kimiko-san is by very large amounts a better pianist than I am, so don't take my opinion to strong lengths; it's just what my ears hear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: