Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: best Haydn sonatas editions  (Read 5157 times)

Offline kawai_cs

best Haydn sonatas editions
on: February 13, 2016, 12:26:35 AM
Hi Guys,
can you recommend a/some good edition/s of Haydn's sonatas? I recently bought a score by Henle. Very disappointed with it. I waited for it to arrive over a week so in the meantime I got so impatient that I printed it from free scores homepage. The free score has a lot of fingering suggestions, plenty of dynamic indications as well as annotations how to play numerous ornaments. Henle score is very plain.
I was wondering as well if all Henle scores were so plain in comparison to other editors?
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline chopinawesome

Re: best Haydn sonatas editions
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:28:33 AM
I often use G.Schirmer. It is much cheaper than Henle, and has dynamics,fingerings, and explanations.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:39:18 AM
Thanks so much! I should have bought Schirmer then!

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:22:41 AM
The whole reason people typically buy Henle is for an urtext. If you want all the things you mentioned, an urtext is not at all what you want.

Offline chrisbutch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:36:03 AM
The Robbins Landon edition for Wiener Urtext, which has more recently been revised and expanded by his widow, has been the standard by which others are judged since it first appeared in the 1960s.

Offline alkan2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 11:12:38 AM
If you want an urtext, Wiener Urtext or Konemann Edition. Konemann doesn't add anything (dynamics, fingering, absolutely nothing) and has a solid critical commentary available on the net.
Henle's edition adds fingering and some editorial ornament/accidental (Haydn's Sonatas have fairly complicated sources): not naked as Konemann, but good.
If you want non-urtext, every other edition could be good: IMSLP has the complete Peters sonatas and Alfred sells a couple of nicely engraved volumes.
Currently on:
Bach - WTK Book 1 n. 5-6
Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
Rachmaninov - Polichinelle op. 3
Studies from Clementi and Moscheles
Telemann - Fantasias 1-2 in D
Haydn - b minor Sonata

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 01:04:04 AM
Thanks so much! I should have bought Schirmer then!

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to such a conclusion.  If it is fingering and editorial commentary you are looking for there are good editions available.  For starters, check if Alfred has what want.  Do yourself a favour and look around a bit before jumping to the yellow-green covers.

Take note, that if it is labeled as urtext it will likely have minimal to no editorial content.  There are some urtext editions that provide fingering while all other elements of the score stick to that urtext philosophy.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 01:45:36 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to jump to such a conclusion.  If it is fingering and editorial commentary you are looking for there are good editions available.  For starters, check if Alfred has what want.  Do yourself a favour and look around a bit before jumping to the yellow-green covers.

Take note, that if it is labeled as urtext it will likely have minimal to no editorial content.  There are some urtext editions that provide fingering while all other elements of the score stick to that urtext philosophy.

I agree. Always check the less fancy books before buying the yellow covered books. Usually, they are more cheaper. I always check Alfred first.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 06:01:11 AM
Another thing: check if the edition is public domain.  If it is, you might be able to find a copy online.  There are a number of public domain editions (various composers, not specifically Haydn) that are in current print and stocked in music stores.  You could pay $$$ in the store or download a legal copy for free - your choice, but you need to know you have a choice to begin with!

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 02:11:45 PM
depends on your goal and where you are. if you're in advanced private study w/ an accomplished performer or in conservatory setting w/ someone that has a DMA or similar level of training and expertise, they can guide you through an urtext to great ends. I 2nd the above, the orange WU are my top choice.
If you discuss the suggestions w your teacher or if you are trudging along on your own and have not played much in the way of classical or Haydn , the I would stick to the Maurice Hinson edition from the Alfred Masterworks edition, i've been pleased w/ the editing and layout of the AME scores I have bought. The paper quality isn't to Hele or WU snuff, but it's not bad either. They're good solid learners but may not hold up well to 10 years of study. If you want an heirloom type you'd need to go w the cloth bound  hard cover henle's, but i seldom see the value in those, the orange urtexts are good. Actually, it would behoove you to do what i've done in the
past which is buy the good urtext and interesting edition, work out
of the urtext and consult the edited version as needed  :)

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 11:46:03 PM
Thank you All for suggestions. I definitely do not want an urtext because having fingering, ornament explanations, etc saves me a lot of time and saves my teacher's nerves;-)
I actually completely forgot about urtext and just chose an available score at amazon from the first seller who was offering all scores I was looking for. Apart from that I bought all those books used because I find it more exciting to play from used scores and actually enjoy it very much if there are old markings in the score.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert