Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Advice for learning the transcendental etudes?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline recnepspencer

Advice for learning the transcendental etudes?
on: February 21, 2016, 02:00:51 AM
I've set a goal to learn Liszt's 12 transcendental etudes. If anyone has any tips that would be great! I started number 2 less than a week ago and i can play all the way through it with few mistakes, but it's nowhere near tempo. So my main problem is what is the best way to practice songs to get them up to tempo while maintaining accuracy?
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice for learning the transcendental etudes?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:42:23 PM
That's quite a hefty goal haha

Try taking each technical difficulty and running it through every key/triad (if you have time/are crazy run it through the 7th chords) with a metronome, and just memorizing the chord patterns that Liszt uses, because usually they're really predictable

In terms of practicing the actual piece, I recommend that you practice in really, really small sections, as much as you can chew, like 5-20 times each (but not more than 20 because after that the diminishing returns really start happening), and try to start really slow, speed PAST tempo, then come back down. Also play everything in chords and slowly break them up so your hands know what it feels like to play that fast

Do not do this unless you already know how to play fast, because you'll get hurt if you don't. If you don't, find a teacher who can show you the proper motions.

When I say small sections, that's up to you, but it should be something that you can straight up play at tempo (if that's too boring for you, slightly longer is fine), like one beat, and once you "get" the technical difficulty, then practice in phrases, or groups of phrases, etc
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice for learning the transcendental etudes?
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:52 PM
Only play the right notes.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert