Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Howls moving castle  (Read 2847 times)

Offline ziggy50

Howls moving castle
on: February 25, 2016, 01:49:01 PM
Hi, I'm in the middle of learning a really nice piano solo called Howls moving castle. It is quite a difficult piece. I have a version from music notes.com. Obviously I can't put the whole song on but I'll send the part that I need help. The problem is that there are small notes to play but both of my hands are busy so I cant. Any ideas of what to do? I've attached a picture of the hard part. Thanks

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Howls moving castle
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 02:25:16 PM
this is a great piece, have always loved it, there's likely better 'versions' of it out there, i have some that I bought from score books in Japan. That said, for that, just treat them like 'pre beat' or grace notes. quick strike, catch it w/ pedal and then quickly rebound up to the left hand chords further up the keyboard. that's pretty much the only way other than moving it up to the area already caught by your LH, just clustering it in, won't be the same but pretty close since you'll still strike the tone, just a couple octaves off.
if you  can't work it out, the probably look for a better arrangement, usually these 'free ones' are not be folks very well versed in writing effectively for the piano, so their layouts are awkward and often 'unplayable' or overly difficult.

Offline ziggy50

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 02:36:55 PM
Thanks for replying. Just to say, it's not a free version. It's from music notes so it cost 5€. Anyway, i will bare in mind what you said. I was just really wondering why it would be like that if its an official version but anyway thanks. That was very helpful. If you know any other songs even half as nice I would really appreciate it. Thanks again

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:52 PM
Thanks for replying. Just to say, it's not a free version. It's from music notes so it cost 5€. Anyway, i will bare in mind what you said. I was just really wondering why it would be like that if its an official version but anyway thanks. That was very helpful. If you know any other songs even half as nice I would really appreciate it. Thanks again
understood. sorry for assuming it was free, but still some arrangements don't have a lot of thought put in, it's best to stick to transcriptions 'by pianists' or folks well established at writing for the instruments.

I have this book and this is a nice version, you might too. I can link to the score for purchase if your interested. I got it a few years ago but still in print. She did a great Disney one in this style too that I absolutely adore

Offline ziggy50

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:57:08 PM
this is a great piece, have always loved it, there's likely better 'versions' of it out there, i have some that I bought from score books in Japan. That said, for that, just treat them like 'pre beat' or grace notes. quick strike, catch it w/ pedal and then quickly rebound up to the left hand chords further up the keyboard. that's pretty much the only way other than moving it up to the area already caught by your LH, just clustering it in, won't be the same but pretty close since you'll still strike the tone, just a couple octaves off.
if you  can't work it out, the probably look for a better arrangement, usually these 'free ones' are not be folks very well versed in writing effectively for the piano, so their layouts are awkward and often 'unplayable' or overly difficult.

Actually, could it be there but it's not meant to be played?

Offline leemond2008

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 06:19:47 PM

I might be wrong (or misreading your post) but I'm pretty sure the stuff off music notes are not official, don't get me wrong I use it quite a lot myself but I always read the reviews on the pieces first because a lot of the time people say they are not quite right

Offline ziggy50

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 06:39:32 PM
I might be wrong (or misreading your post) but I'm pretty sure the stuff off music notes are not official, don't get me wrong I use it quite a lot myself but I always read the reviews on the pieces first because a lot of the time people say they are not quite right

Oh really? I thought that they sold all the copyrighted stuff from the composers themselves...?

Offline ziggy50

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 06:48:55 PM
understood. sorry for assuming it was free, but still some arrangements don't have a lot of thought put in, it's best to stick to transcriptions 'by pianists' or folks well established at writing for the instruments.

I have this book and this is a nice version, you might too. I can link to the score for purchase if your interested. I got it a few years ago but still in print. She did a great Disney one in this style too that I absolutely adore

Thanks very much but it's ok. I'll just work with the version I have.

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 10:57:09 PM
Well there are instances in Rachmaninoff and Scriabin where this kind of stuff happens, and what happens is you just play all of the bottom stuff and then jump to the top as fast as you can.

What I think you should do here is:

-Since you don't need to play the top G in the middle chord thing with your left, hand, play the low note really fast and then jump to the triad. For the second one, play the thick chord with your right hand while your left hits the bass note, then jump to the D octave
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline ziggy50

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:51:01 PM
Well there are instances in Rachmaninoff and Scriabin where this kind of stuff happens, and what happens is you just play all of the bottom stuff and then jump to the top as fast as you can.

What I think you should do here is:

-Since you don't need to play the top G in the middle chord thing with your left, hand, play the low note really fast and then jump to the triad. For the second one, play the thick chord with your right hand while your left hits the bass note, then jump to the D octave
Thanks very much. I will try it. I suppose I'll just have to work around it ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert