Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin/Godowsky - Op. 10, No. 6  (Read 1730 times)

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Chopin/Godowsky - Op. 10, No. 6
on: March 02, 2016, 01:49:10 PM
My left hand adventures continue. I've wanted to learn/attempt one of these Etudes for the past decade. I decided to finally learn one this year.

Listening to the recording I hear so many things to fix. It will probably take me the rest of the year to get those 32nds even and with balanced voicing. Regardless, I figured I would share, for those who enjoy this music.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin/Godowsky - Op. 10, No. 6
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:32:29 PM
Very, very well done :)
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:53 AM
Thanks for the nice feedback!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:55 AM
Wow, this is an incredible accomplishment! Of course it still needs some work but as I can see you are already aware of that.

Please do post more, especially if you're working on any other of these studies. Thanks for posting man.

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:01 AM
Thanks!

Offline kalospiano

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:44:54 AM
why do I keep watching videos that make me feel bad about myself? :-)) good stuff man!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:16 AM
why do I keep watching videos that make me feel bad about myself? :-)) good stuff man! 

Me too!!  This pleases my ear a lot! :)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:48 AM
Very good. I hear a little occasional murkiness within the passagework but these things are very hard to get absolutely precise, and your control is generally excellent.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:15:08 PM
Thanks for the nice feedback!

Offline recnepspencer

Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:26:18 AM
Very well done! Not only is is a great accomplishment, but it's also quite beautiful. Please do post once you finish perfecting it!! Next you should learn the revolutionary etude for left hand 😉
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:28:49 PM
Very well done! Not only is is a great accomplishment, but it's also quite beautiful. Please do post once you finish perfecting it!! Next you should learn the revolutionary etude for left hand 😉

Thanks! Godowsky's arrangement of Op 10 No 12 has never been one of my favorites. If I learn more of them I'll likely do one of the following:
Op 25 No 1 (3rd version)
Op 10 No 5 (6th version)
Op 10 No 3

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 07:48:09 PM
I've looked at the lh only 10/3. Very challenging. I quite like the lh Butterfly as well.

I don't know why I didn't make this observation before - is your piano stool moved up somewhat to the right? I ask because when I've worked on lh only pieces I have been advised that it can be helpful to actually rotate the piano stool (and body position) a little, so that the left hand side is slightly further in than usual, but the right hand side slightly further out.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:40 PM
I don't know why I didn't make this observation before - is your piano stool moved up somewhat to the right? I ask because when I've worked on lh only pieces I have been advised that it can be helpful to actually rotate the piano stool (and body position) a little, so that the left hand side is slightly further in than usual, but the right hand side slightly further out.
For this piece I think I only shifted the bench to the right a few inches, I didn't feel the need to shift it further since a lot of the notes are in the lower half of the piano. When I played Blumenfeld's LH Etude I shifted the bench a full octave to the right since the work covered the entire keyboard. I haven't tried actually rotating the bench before, perhaps I'll try that next time I play it. Thanks for the suggestion! In a LH book I own, Lewenthal mentions in the preface to experiment with different positions for the bench when playing LH pieces.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert