Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Who provokes your hand staring tendencies?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline diomedes

Who provokes your hand staring tendencies?
on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:13 AM
I'm madly in love with pletnevs hands, if you think I'm crazy go to YouTube and look at his video of Chopin op.28 preludes. I watch that as if I'm watching the summit of pianism. The shape and tone production of those hands is perfect.

I also like watching argerich and her big lion paws, they really don't always look feminine, but what a show. Especially an incredible YouTube video of her playing Chopin 1st concerto (she's probably close to 65 in that video, incidentally).

Anyone have any hands that inspire obsessive staring tendencies?
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who provokes your hand staring tendencies?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:37:18 AM
Cziffra for me. His hands seem incredibly flexible as if he could stretch them to swallow the entire keyboard.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:45:26 AM
Claudio Arrau. The way he caresses the keys I find mesmerising. Also, Glen Gould.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:16:42 AM
Per Tengstrand has the most beautiful hands I know. I think I know the looks of them just as much as I know my own ... because I have stared so much. Once I leaned forward so much that I almost fell off my chair because I was staring, hahaha.

[youtube]

I also find Lisitsa's hands rather hypnothic because she has terribly long fingers. But I cannot say I like them very much. I just stare.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:26:36 PM
I believe someone here already knows the answer to this for me.

And it ain't just hands.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline pianoworthy

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:09:29 AM
Marc-Andre Hamelin's hands always perplex me, because it never looks like they are stretching or lifting off the keys much, yet everything he plays seems delicate and effortless. I've tried looking at his hands to study passages, but I can never actually see what he's doing, even when the camera is right up close to them, because his fingerings seem to be really unique.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert