Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: A work still in progress - Chopin 25/6  (Read 1859 times)

Offline jimroof

A work still in progress - Chopin 25/6
on: May 07, 2016, 11:01:54 PM
I have been doing a diary in the Performance forum of my progress with this.  It is STILL not performance ready and there are definitely little hiccups and inconsistencies.  Velocity lacks about 10-12% as well. 

I will get this thing under my belt.  Got a ways to go yet...  but here it is for now...

Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline kawai_cs

Re: A work still in progress - Chopin 25/6
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 11:31:52 PM
Great work in progress! Sounds like you will be there in no time. Musically very pleasing.
Congratulations!
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline ahoffmann

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:06:19 AM
Well done!
I think you can relax about the speed now. It's really not suffering from lack of speed.
What I'd work on mostly from now on is lightness and accuracy of touch. You might find it becomes easier to play faster after that too.

At this point I think you've shown without a doubt that you can handle this piece.

Offline pjjslp

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 01:51:15 PM
Wow! Very nicely played! Impressive progress since the last recording you posted.

May I ask whether you are learning this piece to perform or purely for enjoyment and challenge? Just curious.

Offline jimroof

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 04:35:49 PM
Wow! Very nicely played! Impressive progress since the last recording you posted.

May I ask whether you are learning this piece to perform or purely for enjoyment and challenge? Just curious.

Mostly... torture.

No, I always wanted to learn this for my own enjoyment and sense of accomplishment.  It is purely personal at this point, though I would like to get this up to performance standards as the final goal.  That would mean getting the tempo from about 60 (half note...) to closer to 70.  I took my recording and sped it up 10% today to see how ~67 would sound.  That would be a good performance tempo, but in order to perform it at that tempo I would need to be able to practice it around 72 I think.  Need to have some headroom built into it.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline pjjslp

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 04:45:04 PM
Mostly... torture.

No, I always wanted to learn this for my own enjoyment and sense of accomplishment.  It is purely personal at this point, though I would like to get this up to performance standards as the final goal.

Very cool. I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy one working on difficult pieces for their own sake, even when it gets torturous and frustrating at times. I've been on a journey to learn the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata (lifelong goal) and relearn the first two, but I'm not as brave as you to share recordings. I think you will get where you want to be with this piece.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 06:16:32 PM
Nicely done!
I would call the current tempo a very good tempo for performance, actually. My main complaint would be that the thirds are somewhat metallic and heavy sounding (though that could just as well be recording equipment).

Offline jimroof

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:58:21 PM
Nicely done!
I would call the current tempo a very good tempo for performance, actually. My main complaint would be that the thirds are somewhat metallic and heavy sounding (though that could just as well be recording equipment).

I recorded this with a small Olympus stereo recorder and it was placed on the seat cushion right next to me.  I am not sure if I succeeded in getting the auto-gain and compression turned off.  It could also be my piano.  It is a Yamaha U1D upright that has seen a lot of hours.  Recently had the hammers re-shaped but they came out a bit on the hard side and had some voicing work done too.  Still sounds pretty bright to my ears as well, in person.  The room is also not very large and there is not a lot of sound absorption.

I think I need to experiment with some various placements for the recorder to see if I can achieve a more mellow and round sound. 
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:16:38 PM
Jim you have done an excellent job on this one thus far. Lot of painstaking work has produced a beautiful rendition along w your educational blog thread on your progress. Cheers.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline toughbo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 10:40:02 PM
I don't know jimroof, this is really starting to sound like music to me :-)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 08:37:50 AM
Great progress on this, I imagine you'll smash 3rds going forward after getting this piece finished. Not sure if it would inspire you or shoot you down, but there's another posting of this piece by a pianist called electrafingers I believe, I cannot tell if it's legit, or if they are a fantastic amateur or very dodgy professional, but it might give you some ideas!

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=31055.0

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:31 PM
Nice job. This sounds exactly like the place I was at when I ditched it in frustration ;D
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline jimroof

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05:38 PM
Nice job. This sounds exactly like the place I was at when I ditched it in frustration ;D

Why would you give up on it when it was 85% there?  Did you reach a plateau at that level that persisted for months?
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 07:44:24 PM
Yes exactly. I couldn't go forward any more so I said heck with it. I might pick it up again one of these weeks.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:24:41 AM
I don't think the velocity is really the issue here, tbh. The rh needs to be lighter, to shimmer. If it's lighter, I suspect it will give the illusion of velocity. The other thing which you need to do is to eliminate the tempo inconsistencies: there are little surges here and there. Could be adrenalin but I suspect it's because you are preoccupied with increasing the velocity and it manifests itself in you pushing the tempo in the "easier" (so to speak) bits. Other than that, you're doing fine; it is hellishly difficult.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 11:04:03 AM
Jim,

Have you seen Paul Barton's exercise tips on this piece? He gave me the impression that the real focus is on the top melody notes and so practice can be done by playing this piece as single notes, with just the outer 3/4/5 and get that up to speed.

He also compared it to being very similar to OP 10/2 in terms of the difficulty.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline jimroof

Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 02:49:46 PM
I don't think the velocity is really the issue here, tbh. The rh needs to be lighter, to shimmer. If it's lighter, I suspect it will give the illusion of velocity. The other thing which you need to do is to eliminate the tempo inconsistencies: there are little surges here and there. Could be adrenalin but I suspect it's because you are preoccupied with increasing the velocity and it manifests itself in you pushing the tempo in the "easier" (so to speak) bits. Other than that, you're doing fine; it is hellishly difficult.

Other than recordings made in the 1950's and earlier - EVERYONE has tempo inconsistencies throughout this piece.  Some of mine are likely due to technical issues, but many are a conscious decision.  In fact, when I have this under my belt, there will likely be some spots where they are even more apparent.  I was listening to Kissin's version and he does something very funny...  The broken G7 thirds are very easy, but the set of F7 broken thirds that follow are anything BUT easy.  Kissin plays the G7 set with a rubato in an interesting place that he then repeats for the F7.  I guess it just so happens that the rubato just so happens to line up with the toughest spot of the F7 measures.  It's as if he sets up the listener for the rubato that he wants to use to ease over a rough spot.  Not sure what the shape of his hands are, but it can be very difficult to to work in and out of the black keys in the F7 passage.  If he has pudgy fingers that might explain his take on this spot.

My Chopin has always been pretty free of a metronomic feeling.  It is a matter of taste, I guess.  I recall being called out pretty strongly for my rubato in a ballade just months after I won a piano competition with the very same rendition being the centerpiece of the program. 
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 10:36:08 PM
I completely agree it shouldn't be metronomic in nature. It's always difficult, as a listener, to know how much rubato is genuine rubato, and how much is expedience/accident; the person who knows best is almost invariably the performer! Anyway, though I haven't really been following your progress thread on this piece, it's obvious you are most of the way there.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert