Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Buying a grand...  (Read 11383 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Buying a grand...
Reply #100 on: July 15, 2016, 09:48:57 AM
That is good news ! Once you get used to it your playing will likely improve out of sight.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: July 15, 2016, 09:54:25 AM
Outin, about the cats: Watch them closely for a time with the grand piano in the house, in two ways. One is they may try to bat your dampers around. And secondly, that they don't go inside the piano and want to try and mark territory. I like to keep my piano top up on the low stick and when I do that and leave it that way overnight my music rest assembly can be slid over the dampers on mine. Any cats we have owned over the last 30+ years were only interested in this for a period of time but if I left the top fully open I could find a cat sleeping in there. In my case, the piano sounds best in this room on the low stick anyway. Of the many cats we have owned , one tried to urinate inside my piano. But with the piano on the low stick everyting becomes a bit awkward for the cats, that's the good news.

And what ever you do, regardless of how many music books you have seen with flower arrangements on top of a grand piano, never ever do that with water in a vase with cats around. You surely will find it tipped over and the water will run right down through the hinged area and on top of your dampers and strings and ultimately rest on your sound board. If you are lucky you will find it in time to mop it up quickly with no damage done..

Just a word to the already cat conscious wise, lol !!

No, worry, I have no intention to put flowers on my piano...or anywhere else in my house...  ;D

The cats will have no access to the insides of the grand ever, the lid is always closed when they are around... They can lie on it while it is covered and not in use. The room with the grand is a cat free zone whenever needed.

Offline pjjslp

Reply #102 on: July 15, 2016, 12:48:20 PM
How exciting! Congratulations!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: July 15, 2016, 03:32:21 PM
This is how the cats think a grand piano should be used :)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: July 15, 2016, 03:45:00 PM
But I prefer this:

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:21 PM
Yeah, cats are cats, they might each have their own personality but they still act like a cat lol !

Nice piano outin ! Reminds of a Chickering I played a small recital on years ago.

I think I see a baseboard heat strip under it though. Can you live with that one strip shut off in the winter or would you be freezing ?
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: July 15, 2016, 05:11:07 PM

I think I see a baseboard heat strip under it though. Can you live with that one strip shut off in the winter or would you be freezing ?

What's a heat strip? I am pretty certain I don't have one...

The only heating source is in the other side of the room by the window, and that's one reason why I chose this place.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: July 15, 2016, 05:15:12 PM
BTW I will have to get another humidifier now, since the upright needs to have one too. The automatic one I have was pretty expensive but worth it in our conditions.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: July 15, 2016, 07:11:28 PM
What's a heat strip? I am pretty certain I don't have one...

The only heating source is in the other side of the room by the window, and that's one reason why I chose this place.

It doesn't matter, I guess I was wrong in any event. Good news on your pedal being repaired tomorrow !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: July 16, 2016, 02:59:45 PM
The pedal was fixed. Took a bit of work but it's now silenced.

I just have to get used to the touch. This one is so much easier to play than my upright that it's almost confusing...and this piano really sings :)
I cannot help it, I am just really pleased with the sound...

I also had to go to the hardware store to get some more light fixtures and set them up because it was far too dark for my eyes in that corner of the room. And now I am hungry and tired, so wasn't able to record anything...maybe tomorrow...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: July 16, 2016, 04:33:37 PM
The pedal was fixed. Took a bit of work but it's now silenced.

I just have to get used to the touch. This one is so much easier to play than my upright that it's almost confusing...and this piano really sings :)
I cannot help it, I am just really pleased with the sound...

I also had to go to the hardware store to get some more light fixtures and set them up because it was far too dark for my eyes in that corner of the room. And now I am hungry and tired, so wasn't able to record anything...maybe tomorrow...

Yes, from your description going into this I had a feeling you would like the sound of the Bluthner. They have a little bit unique sound to them but very pleasing, one certainly can not say they are without character. You will get used to the touch and you very likely will find new ways to express yourself on this piano as well. I'm very happy for you Outin and wish you the best with this piano going forward !! Welcome to the world of grand piano ownership and all it's about. And just think, it gets better from here as the new tunings come along etc. Nice .

Was the tech able to work on that one hanging damper as well ?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: July 16, 2016, 04:57:04 PM
Yes, from your description going into this I had a feeling you would like the sound of the Bluthner. They have a little bit unique sound to them but very pleasing, one certainly can not say they are without character. You will get used to the touch and you very likely will find new ways to express yourself on this piano as well. I'm very happy for you Outin and wish you the best with this piano going forward !! Welcome to the world of grand piano ownership and all it's about. And just think, it gets better from here as the new tunings come along etc. Nice .

Was the tech able to work on that one hanging damper as well ?

No, that will be done later by someone else I think. They will have to take out the action to replace one part anyway after it has arrived from the factory (there's a temporary replacement in now). The damper is not much of a problem for me now since that key is seldom used...

I am still surprised how much I like this one, since I keep hearing how small grands are worse than better uprights and have inferior sound. I was also a bit worried that the grand would sound worse at my place than at the shop, but instead it sounds better. I don't even have to do anything about the acoustics of the room I think.

I still have the option to update to the other B if I want, the dealer has it at his home and is not actively selling it, but right now I have almost forgotten that one :)

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: July 16, 2016, 05:28:54 PM
No, that will be done later by someone else I think. They will have to take out the action to replace one part anyway after it has arrived from the factory (there's a temporary replacement in now). The damper is not much of a problem for me now since that key is seldom used...

I am still surprised how much I like this one, since I keep hearing how small grands are worse than better uprights and have inferior sound. I was also a bit worried that the grand would sound worse at my place than at the shop, but instead it sounds better. I don't even have to do anything about the acoustics of the room I think.

I still have the option to update to the other B if I want, the dealer has it at his home and is not actively selling it, but right now I have almost forgotten that one :)

Some small grands are so so I guess but just about any grand will give you better key feed back to the strings than an upright. Nicer to play, easier to work on what's not to like. Ya, larger grands have more vroom but you stated you weren't looking for that. Bluthner is a very good name and sought after for the very reasons you like yours. What you are feeling is why some folks go looking for Bluthners. Bosendorfer ? It's probably going to be more powerful and spontaneous, explosive, etc... Yours mellow, singing , intermingled tones. You have just scratched the surface of what you can do with either instrument in terms of expression. All I can say is Enjoy !! A decent grand and well set up you should be be able to caress expression from it.

I'm not an upright fan, so I doubt you ever heard what you stated above from me .  You've taken a good step here Outin.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: July 17, 2016, 11:49:04 AM
I seem to be completely brain damaged today, cannot play anything without my fingers forgetting where to go...all my recording attempts have failed. But to get it over with I will attach one of my attempts. Don't blame the piano when the pianist is bad :)

This one was recorded with the lid completely closed and the mic stand about 2 meters from the piano. I will look into other options on a better day...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: July 17, 2016, 12:14:54 PM
 That's ok, I'm not doing a whole lot better myself this morning. But your piano sounds nice, the tone comes though in the recording.

You will have to relearn the keys now and adjust your touch. You have been fighting action you never liked for how ever long you owned that upright.

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:08 AM
That's a beautiful piano Outin.
Is it Mahogany?

I can hear the singing tone in the clip too.
It sounds like a very good purchase made and most importantly, it speaks to you. 8).

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: July 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM
That's a beautiful piano Outin.
Is it Mahogany?

Thanks. It's Walnut.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: July 18, 2016, 04:39:57 PM
Thanks. It's Walnut.
lovely finish. would be great to get some vid of your hands playing it so we can see the keys /fallboard or even w music desk removed for a better shot of the pins and strings sometime.

I think you'll find the more you play it the better you get to know the instrument, the more you can eek out the sound you want even more. lovely little recording btw, enjoyed hearing this nice vintage  piano. if it was never restored, it's in remarkably nice shape from sound/photo you submitted.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:18 PM
lovely finish. would be great to get some vid of your hands playing it so we can see the keys /fallboard or even w music desk removed for a better shot of the pins and strings sometime.

I think you'll find the more you play it the better you get to know the instrument, the more you can eek out the sound you want even more. lovely little recording btw, enjoyed hearing this nice vintage  piano. if it was never restored, it's in remarkably nice shape from sound/photo you submitted.

Here's another picture

The real colour shows best in the low right corner of the photo. I don't know if I mentioned it, but the cabinet has been treated (sanded and lacquered), so it's not in original condition. But that's all that has been done. What you cannot see in the photos is that the keys have some discoloration on them. The insides of the piano do show the age more. It will be interesting to see what my tech says when he sees it...

Right now I am not going to spend too much time looking for faults inside, they will surely come out in time anyway :)

I'll take more pictures or video of the insides when I find my better camera...I have no idea where I put it...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:40 PM
Lovely, outin ! And personally, I'd be glad they lacquered it vs some other finishes out there.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: July 18, 2016, 07:14:33 PM
it is pretty, i like the wood finishes more lately, used to not like them that much when i was younger, they've grown on me.

i do remember what I liked about Bluthners now, they have a 3rd string if i'm not mistaken that is not struck but sits along side the other two and it allowed to resonate and tends to create some really pretty overtones and a distinct singing sound vs a grand of similar size without that 3rd string. I believe some say that the use of aliquots made that unnecessary but i'm not entirely convinced they are equal, it's close but I do recall liking some Bluthners a lot better vs other tier one pianos of the same size for that reason.
Outin you're has three strings for each right, or am i way off/confused w/ another German piano (played a bunch in the past not quite remembering which is which lately)

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:44 PM
it is pretty, i like the wood finishes more lately, used to not like them that much when i was younger, they've grown on me.

i do remember what I liked about Bluthners now, they have a 3rd string if i'm not mistaken that is not struck but sits along side the other two and it allowed to resonate and tends to create some really pretty overtones and a distinct singing sound vs a grand of similar size without that 3rd string. I believe some say that the use of aliquots made that unnecessary but i'm not entirely convinced they are equal, it's close but I do recall liking some Bluthners a lot better vs other tier one pianos of the same size for that reason.
Outin you're has three strings for each right, or am i way off/confused w/ another German piano (played a bunch in the past not quite remembering which is which lately)
Visitor, till Outin gets back at ya. Bluthner's have a 4th string not struck. Grands ( and most pianos) have 3 strings generally, except in the deep bass..

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: July 18, 2016, 08:31:12 PM
Visitor, till Outin gets back at ya. Bluthner's have a 4th string not struck. Grands ( and most pianos) have 3 strings generally, except in the deep bass..
darn it, that's what i meant. I would've caught that if i were at home w my instrument, i knew there's an extra string, not enough coffee this afternoon to think straight. thanks for the quick correction, but yeah that's what i meant, i knew they have an extra resonating one, i think it's a pretty genius design.
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: July 18, 2016, 08:45:12 PM
darn it, that's what i meant. I would've caught that if i were at home w my instrument, i knew there's an extra string, not enough coffee this afternoon to think straight. thanks for the quick correction, but yeah that's what i meant, i knew they have an extra resonating one, i think it's a pretty genius design.
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I know all about not enough coffee ! No big deal.

That Bluthner of Outin's  just beckons for some minor scale Improv. Heck, just to play an E minor scale and some chord sequences with cadences or modulation etc would begin to give a feel for the keys . Some pedal, some soft pedal work. Just experiment. It has a deep sultriness about it and ringing tone. Well that's what my imagination is saying just from the little clip she posted. Might feel different when played .

Me, I'm messing with calligraphy in Copperplate script ( don't ask) !

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: July 19, 2016, 04:25:49 AM

Some Blüthners have this (aliquot strings) but mine doesn't.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #125 on: July 19, 2016, 04:35:17 AM
I would love to take the action out to see more, but decided against it, since I have not done it before...I will wait until the dealer sends a tech to make the rest of the repairs. Since 3 dampers on the bass area are not working perfectly, this sometimes blurs the harmonies.

In the meantime, I uploaded more photos from the insides of the piano:
https://korat.kuvat.fi/kuvat/kuvia/
Here you can see the faults on the soundboard as well.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #126 on: July 19, 2016, 04:38:36 AM

I thought a shiny black piano is fine, until I got one and my 6 cats walked on it :) Not to mention my own greasy fingerprints...

I usually don't like wood that much. But I was prepared to take anything as long as it sounds good and plays well. In the end I am glad this one wasn't the yellowish wood they often are, because that's not to my taste at all.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #127 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:09 AM
One more sound sample, this time without any pedal...cannot play this piece well, but it was something I could somewhat play from memory...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #128 on: July 19, 2016, 09:11:42 AM
I enjoyed your recording and it displayed a bit more about the nice sound of your piano. It sounds like your hands may be starting to acclimate too !

I think the big issue about the cracks in the sound board are two. 1. Keep your piano room well humidified and they will stay closed, let it dry way out and they will open up. As long as the cracked area is still attached to the ribs it should not cause buzzing but if it does detach by chance, a good tech can reattach them. 2 I suggest you continue to deal with this dealer on your next purchase if there ever is a next purchase. If there is not a trade in or sale of your piano then the cracks probably don''t mean a whole lot but they will affect trade in value or sales value and this dealer knows full well the history. Your piano sounds good from what I can hear. And again, I enjoyed this recording ! I think your piano looks in great condition considering it's pretty much original. The condition of yours makes mine look ugly, none of the parts in mine from 1898, or very few, were plated, so it's pretty dull inside there. I have raw steel pins in mine for instance.. Satin black, with a few kids knocks and warts in it. I threaten to refinish it, maybe one day.

The fact that you have carpet under the piano I'm sure is helping the sound difference between  there and in the show room ( not that I know the show room conditions). But carpet can really tame a piano's tone out.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #129 on: July 19, 2016, 02:32:31 PM
nice pix and recording.
I'm meticulous about keeping my shiny black piano clean outin so i know how you feel about it looking nice and but being a magnet for every smudge, swirl , mark, etc.

one of my previous techs who's a Steinway tech for an all Steinway school did a lot of work on my piano, especially in the action, I got to pick his brain a lot with the many calls to him to get stuff worked out on mine (eventually we exorcised all pianos demons and it's been problem free for a few years now).

i asked him how bad is a cracked soundboard, he said believe it or not, it can be not that big a deal, actually trying to fix a cracked soundboard can be worse, since if the sound doesn't suffer from visible surface crack of imperfection, just leave it alone since some compounds/glue etc used in 'repairing' can later get knocked lose in the board and then the sound can cause an unfix-able 'buzz' or vibration later on and it will drive you nuts.

it's a lovely piano, I would likely get in there and give it a good 'dry dust/dry clean' , i found that gettiing a hair drying that has a 'heating element off' function and just runds the blower to blow room temp/cold air works well, i open the piano up and get in there and blow all sorts of dust, hair crud out every so often. I keep my piano completely closed under two piano covers 95% of the time  now so not much of an issue but was super effective at my old place when i opened it up more.

as for any pedal squeaks, you tech should have access to a dry power/graphite powder lubricant. No grease/liquid based, that's temporary and will eventually gunk up, my tech said he took a course in  training called 'find that squeak' and it's what his instructor told him to use, and i haven't had a reoccurance of pedal squeek in years since that initial fix. worth exploring.

is your tech going to fine regulate your action? I wonder if your hammers are squared  up/level, mine needs it but it's a timely/expensive job....  :'(

how exciting.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #130 on: July 19, 2016, 02:57:56 PM
nice pix and recording.
I'm meticulous about keeping my shiny black piano clean outin so i know how you feel about it looking nice and but being a magnet for every smudge, swirl , mark, etc.
What piano do you have again?

one of my previous techs who's a Steinway tech for an all Steinway school did a lot of work on my piano, especially in the action, I got to pick his brain a lot with the many calls to him to get stuff worked out on mine (eventually we exorcised all pianos demons and it's been problem free for a few years now).

i asked him how bad is a cracked soundboard, he said believe it or not, it can be not that big a deal, actually trying to fix a cracked soundboard can be worse, since if the sound doesn't suffer from visible surface crack of imperfection, just leave it alone since some compounds/glue etc used in 'repairing' can later get knocked lose in the board and then the sound can cause an unfix-able 'buzz' or vibration later on and it will drive you nuts.

it's a lovely piano, I would likely get in there and give it a good 'dry dust/dry clean' , i found that gettiing a hair drying that has a 'heating element off' function and just runds the blower to blow room temp/cold air works well, i open the piano up and get in there and blow all sorts of dust, hair crud out every so often. I keep my piano completely closed under two piano covers 95% of the time  now so not much of an issue but was super effective at my old place when i opened it up more.

as for any pedal squeaks, you tech should have access to a dry power/graphite powder lubricant. No grease/liquid based, that's temporary and will eventually gunk up, my tech said he took a course in  training called 'find that squeak' and it's what his instructor told him to use, and i haven't had a reoccurance of pedal squeek in years since that initial fix. worth exploring.

is your tech going to fine regulate your action? I wonder if your hammers are squared  up/level, mine needs it but it's a timely/expensive job....  :'(

I don't really know yet...I was only able to e-mail him before buying this. I'll contact him later. Considering all the money I saved not buying the Bosie, I guess I can spend some on this one :)

So a cleaning job ahead for me  ;D

I played a little today with the lid open and it is considerably louder. I think in this room at this time it's nicer to my ears with the lid closed and that also works better with the cats.

I investigated the problem dampers and I think the reason why they don't work properly is that the felt underneath has "swollen" to the sides  so they stick together a bit. I guess I could just take some scissors and trim them :) But maybe I will let the professionals deal with it...

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #131 on: July 19, 2016, 04:30:39 PM
What piano do you have again?

I don't really know yet...I was only able to e-mail him before buying this. I'll contact him later. Considering all the money I saved not buying the Bosie, I guess I can spend some on this one :)

So a cleaning job ahead for me  ;D

I played a little today with the lid open and it is considerably louder. I think in this room at this time it's nicer to my ears with the lid closed and that also works better with the cats.

I investigated the problem dampers and I think the reason why they don't work properly is that the felt underneath has "swollen" to the sides  so they stick together a bit. I guess I could just take some scissors and trim them :) But maybe I will let the professionals deal with it...

1. pm'ed you a f/u....

but it's here on my recent audition room upload, note like i commented to Ronde, this is a much smaller room than it used to be in so i am still playing w position of mic and room acoustics, i send pm you a different video from my other channel where the instrument opens up a bit in a larger room to get an idea of the sound. it's little, but it's marvelous especially after the fine tuning i've done w it over the years...  8)

2. on the cleaning i should mention before the 'blowing' out w the blow drying, especially the first time, it helps to use one of those swiffer type 'wand' dusters, non feather, but the kind that that the dust and hair 'stick's too, those work really well in areas you can reach and just under some of the strings.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #132 on: July 19, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
Looking at the hammers on my piano I wonder if this piano hasn't been played that much or if they aren't original after all. They look very good to me (not that I've seem many hammers, but they don't look much worse than the ones on my 5 year old Yamaha upright).

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #133 on: July 19, 2016, 04:40:39 PM
it's little, but it's marvelous especially after the fine tuning i've done w it over the years...  8)
It is nice, but I cannot read the brand name, so I'm curious. And can you tell me the size in numbers I will understand? :)

And I do indeed have such a duster, use it to get cat hair off my keys :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #134 on: July 19, 2016, 04:46:27 PM
Hmm don't have my spec sheet w me, i pm'd you some info (felt didn't want to bog your thread down w my stuff) but i think legntwise i just over 152cm, mainly a limitation due to how often i tend to move and space limitations as i tend to place the instrument in a back room vs a big living area, would like to eventually go up in size some day in the distant future  :)

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #135 on: July 20, 2016, 12:07:28 AM
Looking at the hammers on my piano I wonder if this piano hasn't been played that much or if they aren't original after all. They look very good to me (not that I've seem many hammers, but they don't look much worse than the ones on my 5 year old Yamaha upright).
It takes a lot of playing to wear down hammers.  My 1941 Steinway 40 console, the hammers look just alike in the middle to the ones on the ends. There is no visible wear, just the notches for the strings they are delivered with from the factory.   This 1941 piano has been played enough the black paint is worn off the end of the middle black keys, and the finish is worn off the wood rail behind the keys in the middle.  The previous owner obviously had much longer fingers than I have.  My 1941 Steinway does have some wiggly pivot problems, but not hammer damage.  
Congratulations on getting a sound you like.  I'm still amazed at the difference in touch you feel between this Bluthner and your old console.  I have only played substantually a Willis grand in the last 49 years (for 90 minutes), and I didn't feel the action was any different than my Sohmer & Steinway consoles.  But I was sight reading a difficult Christmas cantata for a fellow choir member to learn the part, so I didn't really try anything athletic.  Willis was a store brand, and since the finish was blonde, probably manufactured between 1958 and 1966.  I played a 1950's Baldwin grand for about 15 minutes three years ago, and the touch was so heavy I really couldn't do my usual pieces on it for long.  I played a newish Yamaha 44" console at a piano lesson 4 years ago, for 50 minutes, and the action felt normal although I really didn't like the sound of the bass notes.  

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #136 on: July 20, 2016, 05:25:24 AM
I suggest you continue to deal with this dealer on your next purchase if there ever is a next purchase. If there is not a trade in or sale of your piano then the cracks probably don''t mean a whole lot but they will affect trade in value or sales value and this dealer knows full well the history.

I am not at all sure if I ever will sell this piano even if I do want to get another one... One day I will retire and will be able to spend months at my summer place. This piano would fit in there and I would not dare leave anything much more expensive there for the winter. I would love to have a real grand there, since there are no neighbours to limit how much and when to play...

I think I should probably sell the upright now that I would still get a nice price  and put that money aside for future piano purchases. One dealer said I should put the asking price as 8000EUR if I advertise it in the net and I would probably get 7000-7500EUR. The silent feature is handy, but a digital with good touch would do as well for quiet practice. I will have to see if I ever feel like playing the upright anymore on the acoustic mode now that I have the grand. I am just not very good at getting rid of things...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #137 on: July 20, 2016, 09:13:28 AM
I would have no hesitation in selling the upright personally, not given what you have said about it over the years and knowing myself in those shoes ( I know that I was quick to sell mine once I got my grand). You came to really not like the sound or the action in it, so what value is it then ? you might as well get some money from it that you can put towards something you really want.

You do love your pianos, you might as well have ones that please you. What's the chances of winterizing the summer place and just move there and stay once retired ? It sounds more ideal to your purpose musically than the apartment.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #138 on: July 20, 2016, 10:38:50 AM
I would have no hesitation in selling the upright personally, not given what you have said about it over the years and knowing myself in those shoes ( I know that I was quick to sell mine once I got my grand). You came to really not like the sound or the action in it, so what value is it then ? you might as well get some money from it that you can put towards something you really want. Or with retirement  ahead, ask me and I'll tell you about how that can go, you might as well get your savings and your larger spending done now. You know retirement is looming up. In my case I knew it was coming ten years ahead, and the company actually pulled the retirement card for me at age 64-1/2. Faced with 100% or work two more years for the same 100% but minus the severance for 44 years served because I would be going on my own, I opted for their way. But glad I mostly got my toys squared away over that 10 year period !! Once you retire your flexibility in spending is seriously held back, unless by chance you have something far greater than I do. If so, that's wonderful ! And believe me, I'm not complaining.

You do love your pianos, you might as well have ones that please you. What's the chances of winterizing the summer place and just move there and stay once retired ? It sounds more ideal to your purpose musically than the apartment.

It's in the middle of nowhere so while it is actually possible to live there all year round, it's not really not for me...The days are short here in the winter and when it's dark and freezing outside there's not much to do there really... Where I live the climate is better in the winter :)
I also enjoy the carefreeness of living in a flat, so I think I will prefer to split my time between the two.

As for retirement our system is a bit different, but I am well aware of the reduced income and that's my favorite excuse to buy a lot of music that I don't have time or ability to play now :) I tell myself every year that it's time to start saving...but I never do. Who knows, I may not live long enough... But it's less than 20 years now so I guess it's time to put something aside. Not that I really worry much, I can survive with less if necessary :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #139 on: July 20, 2016, 12:42:31 PM
outin, one thing to consider, is w the money from the sale of the upright should you ditch it is that after a few years (or sooner or later....) you might just invest in a  rebuild/refreshing of the piano, the case looks like, maybe some fine polishing but you might decide to have it restrung, or new hammers/felts, etc or a new rennner action or retrofit it w/ a Kawai Millenium 3....the piano is nice, I probably wouldn't get rid of it to buy a different one unless i HAD TO HAVE Bigger, but if not, then i might just have it fully restored restored ground up rebuild....just a thought

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #140 on: July 20, 2016, 01:29:12 PM
outin, one thing to consider, is w the money from the sale of the upright should you ditch it is that after a few years (or sooner or later....) you might just invest in a  rebuild/refreshing of the piano, the case looks like, maybe some fine polishing but you might decide to have it restrung, or new hammers/felts, etc or a new rennner action or retrofit it w/ a Kawai Millenium 3....the piano is nice, I probably wouldn't get rid of it to buy a different one unless i HAD TO HAVE Bigger, but if not, then i might just have it fully restored restored ground up rebuild....just a thought

Of course I might just want another different one in addition to this... Some people collect cars...;)

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #141 on: July 20, 2016, 02:07:00 PM
Of course I might just want another different one in addition to this... Some people collect cars...;)

Let me guess ? A Bosendorfer next !

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #142 on: July 20, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
I was under the impression that you only played late Scriabin. Good to see the op. 15 receiving some love.

Nice piano.
Btw you can send your upright to me.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #143 on: July 20, 2016, 02:18:08 PM
I was under the impression that you only played late Scriabin. Good to see the op. 15 receiving some love.

Nice piano.
Btw you can send your upright to me.
Will you pay for postage?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #144 on: July 20, 2016, 02:26:11 PM
Let me guess ? A Bosendorfer next !

Sure and then maybe something like this:
https://www.periodpiano.com/fortepiano_copies.html

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #145 on: July 20, 2016, 02:51:49 PM
Sure and then maybe something like this:
https://www.periodpiano.com/fortepiano_copies.html
no collection is complete without a 300K Stuart and Sons concert grand in birds eye [type] finish

;D ;D

i'd be happy w this used August Forster the kids in Portland seem to have for sale, talk about a rare instrment with a low market demand so price settles into a sweet spot for such a mint condition beast
https://www.michellespiano.com/portland-pianos/pre-owned-pianos/august-forster-215-grand-piano/#prettyPhoto

surprised hasn't sold but everyone wants a Steinway, most probably don't know how cool an piano this is. yowza wowza

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #146 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:55 PM
no collection is complete without a 300K Stuart and Sons concert grand in birds eye [type] finish
Hmmm... I don't really like the finish...

i'd be happy w this used August Forster the kids in Portland seem to have for sale, talk about a rare instrment with a low market demand so price settles into a sweet spot for such a mint condition beast
surprised hasn't sold but everyone wants a Steinway, most probably don't know how cool an piano this is. yowza wowza
Why don't you throw them an offer? :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #147 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:49 PM
Hmmm... I don't really like the finish...
Why don't you throw them an offer? :)
lol i'm so broke i can't even afford to pay attention [right now] ha ha (at least for something like that, mere peasants need not apply  :'(  ).

but back to business, YOUR PIANO, great instrument. hope we can see an audition room upload soon  :)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #148 on: July 20, 2016, 04:16:22 PM
but back to business, YOUR PIANO,

I know...I should practice...but I am simply too tired after work this week...

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #149 on: July 20, 2016, 04:36:37 PM
I know...I should practice...but I am simply too tired after work this week...
i get you. i have had stretches of a whole work week and very little pratice with many days in a row of not at all, part of being a grown up I suppose.  But I don't adult very well so i try to cram something in. I would suggest on those days you feel like not practicing at all, sit down, 10-15 minutes tops, and just read through or play through some or all of what you are doing, not necc practice , but expose yourself to it, I have found sometimes i get a bit refreshed and actually practice a little and play for more than i planned, other times I just hit my mark for min time reading through and call it good.

there's a saying, which i hate, that goes , miss a day of practice, you'll notice, miss two days and your teacher/prof will notice. miss 3 days others/the public will notice  :o  so when it's really bad i'm trying to make sure i don't let >2 days go by with no practice/playng whatsoever and if it's defcon 5, then i'll will make myself just read through, you'll reinforce a few things or at least not let them slip in the other direction...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert