Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Best piano concerto to start with… any advice?  (Read 2093 times)

Offline rosejaune177

• PS Silver Member
Best piano concerto to start with… any advice?
on: July 25, 2016, 05:35:31 PM
Hello, I'm new here.  :)

I took my DipABRSM last week and I’m now hoping to learn a piano concerto. I want to choose one that is really well-suited to me, as I realise that it’s more of a long-term project than the shorter pieces I’m used to. I’ve listened to lots of piano concertos, but never actually played one before. I’m hoping somebody on here can advise me!

In terms of my personal preferences, I am most comfortable with Romantic works – Chopin, Brahms, etc. Expression/musicianship is often my strong point, rather than virtuosic technique! However, I’ve had a look through some old threads on here, and people seem to say that it’s best to tackle Classical concertos first, and leave the big Romantic works till later. (Also, I don’t have big hands, so I preferably wouldn’t choose a piece which is full of stretches and octaves… sorry, Rachmaninov.)

So, what would be a good concerto for me to start with?

My piano teacher has recommended some of Mozart’s concertos: no. 21, no. 24 and no. 23. I like the sound of them, but I’ve had a look at the scores, and all that passagework is slightly off-putting… I’ve read that no. 19 is fairly manageable – is that true? Personally, I like no. 17 and no. 27 the best, but I’m not sure how hard these are, especially no. 27.

I am very fond of Shostakovich’s Piano Concerto No. 2. I’d have no trouble with the second movement, but how hard are the other movements? I’ve had a quick look at the score, and it struck me that the first movement is similar in some ways to Shostakovich’s Concertino for two pianos, which I learnt this year with my duo partner.

What are some other options? Haydn? Beethoven? Mendelssohn?

I’d be very grateful to hear people’s opinions on the things I’ve mentioned. Sorry this is so long!

Rose Jaune  :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best piano concerto to start with… any advice?
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:32:07 PM
Shostakovich concertino op 95
Kabalevsky concerto op 50
Kabalevsky Rhapsody op 75

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 06:50:41 PM

In terms of my personal preferences, I am most comfortable with Romantic works 

Me too, but the conventional wisdom appears to be leaning towards an easyish classical work.

Mozart, Haydn and JC Bach should all provide something you like. My own personal preference is for the Stamitz F Minor.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:20:18 PM
Me too, but the conventional wisdom appears to be leaning towards an easyish classical work.

Mozart, Haydn and JC Bach should all provide something you like. My own personal preference is for the Stamitz F Minor.

Thal
yep. +1. My suggs were.based on op wanting to lyrical non classical, but i agree.

if op.can handle reading old scores, Hoffmeistwr g major might be a good option too.

Offline rosejaune177

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:09:11 PM
Thank you, both, for your suggestions!  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert