Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin nocturnes  (Read 1467 times)

Offline ingham444

Chopin nocturnes
on: September 09, 2016, 09:52:23 PM
Hi, might sound a tad strange but I'm looking to bolster the chopin end of my repertoire and thought about learning 5-10 nocturnes.  I've only previously played op 9 no1/2 out of the collection.
My question is what is the quickest way to learn others and suggestions on which to start with?

Offline stevensk

Re: Chopin nocturnes
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:02:27 PM
 "quickest"   ..why?

Offline ingham444

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:13:44 PM
Because they're beautiful pieces and all quite repetitive and long, so if I can quickly learn 5 or so i could reach 20 minutes easily of playing time.  It's handy to have that long amount of popular pieces and I've been asked to learn chopin pieces for a wedding reception in December.

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:38:35 PM
Chopin C sharp minor post about 4 min

72, no 1 about 4.5

chopin 15  1

Chopin 32 1

Here is the full set for you to listen to

Also check out the Chopin waltzes

Offline lakeviewsteve

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:58:22 AM
If you are interested in studying any Chopin, you may want learn some of Chopin's Etudes (Studies).  They have really helped me learn Chopin's other works.  Since Chopin was considered a master in counterpoint (two or more simultaneous melodies), the studies are really useful in understanding this very difficult aspect of his work.

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 04:21:54 AM
I don't think there's any secret to learning them quickly, except that as you say, they can be somewhat repetitive. Just don't practice the repeated parts? I would also say that the more of them you learn, the faster it is to learn new ones. I played Op 15. in a recital about a month ago and I think it was about a week or two each to get them under my fingers? Probably a couple months before I thought they sounded good? Maybe another year before I'm really truly happy with them?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert