Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Debussy Images  (Read 3959 times)

Offline tmjorden

Debussy Images
on: March 12, 2017, 10:47:36 PM
So I really like Debussys Images... I like the (sorry I'm too lazy to figure out the names) first and second movement of Images book 1 and I like the First of Book 2. I think the entire book 2 would be more accessible in my opinion it's easier. I just like book 1 a lot better.... what to do?
Repertoire:
Rachmaninoff Concerto 2
Haydn Sonata 50
Prokofiev Toccata and Suggestion Diabolique
Liszt La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsody 6, and Concerto No. 1
And other stuff...

Offline dogperson

Re: Debussy Images
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:33:22 AM
According to your signature line, you are playing very advanced repertoire, so I am missing how it matters what is 'most accessible'  You should be able to play any of the Debussy that you want to play.

Since you have a teacher, why don't you get your teacher's input if you can't choose?

Offline tmjorden

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:41:00 AM
I'll go deeper into my sig line... Rach 2 only first movement though Im planning to do the entire thing. La Campanella I can't play at performance level yet but I will compete with it this fall. Same with the toccata. I just updated it and removed some of the things i CAN play at concert level. I will get my teachers input I just wanted different opinions from other people. The only pieces that look hard from images are movement from images one and the third from images two. I REALLY  like the first from book 1.
Repertoire:
Rachmaninoff Concerto 2
Haydn Sonata 50
And other stuff...

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 02:03:21 AM
I'll go deeper into my sig line... Rach 2 only first movement though Im planning to do the entire thing. La Campanella I can't play at performance level yet but I will compete with it this fall. Same with the toccata. I just updated it and removed some of the things i CAN play at concert level. I will get my teachers input I just wanted different opinions from other people. The only pieces that look hard from images are movement from images one and the third from images two. I REALLY  like the first from book 1.

Since you really like the first from Book 1, go for it!  Your performance of the Grieg concerto was impressive.   :)

Offline louispodesta

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:03:55 PM
This is very well said, in that this particular post (as I have alluded to in the past) may be suspect.  That means:  for starters,  I have counted nine uses of the first person pronoun "I."

Secondly, the fact that this is most implausible, is true.

Accordingly, I do not follow the logic suggested by the OP!

Offline dogperson

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:25:28 PM
This is very well said, in that this particular post (as I have alluded to in the past) may be suspect.  That means:  for starters,  I have counted nine uses of the first person pronoun "I."

Secondly, the fact that this is most implausible, is true.

Accordingly, I do not follow the logic suggested by the OP!

Louis, there is nothing 'suspect'.   Tanner is a quite talented teenager who is asking for advice.
Here is the link to his Grieg concerto performance
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=63453.0

BTW:  when are you posting one of your concerti? 

Offline tmjorden

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 02:36:07 AM
louispodesta, Thanks for your reply. I'm just confused about why it matters how many times I say "I"? And please explain what you mean by you don't understand my logic. That would be great, thanks
Repertoire:
Rachmaninoff Concerto 2
Haydn Sonata 50
And other stuff...

Offline louispodesta

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26:40 PM
louispodesta, Thanks for your reply. I'm just confused about why it matters how many times I say "I"? And please explain what you mean by you don't understand my logic. That would be great, thanks
You know what?: not this time.

What I am going to suggest is that you obtain a recording that Debussy himself greatly praised, and that is the Ken Caswell digital recording entitled "Debussy, Composer As Pianist."

https://www.amazon.com/Claude-Debussy-Composer-Pianist-Collection/dp/B00005IC03/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489619070&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ken+caswell+debussy

Most public libraries have it available.  If you do not normally facilitate your local library online, you can travel physically to one and then access it for free.

Re:  Richard Simonton, Sr., initially, (and then many years of re-affirmation on his own), it took Ken 15 years to authenticate and record this true treasure.

What does this have to do with playing the Image?  Duh!

Listen to the Caswell recording, and then say it is a fraud.  I spent 13 years of mmy life trying to do the same.  And, then the 5 CD "analog" recording "The Pupils Of Clara Schumann" came along and affirmed the "Original Peformance Practice" of the Caswell recording.

Per the OP, when you hear Debussy himself perform Original Performance practice, and then you hear the students of Clara Schumann play totally different music in the same manner, then you begin to connect the musicological dots.

That, in my opinion, is a true guide as to how (per your own particular musical voice) is how you should play the Image.  Further, Philippe Entremont's recording of these works is in a word:  stellar!

Offline toughbo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:27:39 AM
I'm not sure whether this guy should stop or start taking drugs...

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:10 PM
I think Louis stoned would be an interesting sight to see.

Offline tmjorden

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 12:26:52 AM
I'm not sure whether this guy should stop or start taking drugs...

Well that got off topic  :P
Repertoire:
Rachmaninoff Concerto 2
Haydn Sonata 50
And other stuff...

Offline toughbo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:26:34 AM

I don't think I'd notice
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert