Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What new concerto should I play?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline chopinawesome

What new concerto should I play?
on: May 31, 2017, 02:07:09 AM
My teacher wants me to learn a new concerto to play. I just finished Mozart's 27th piano concerto in b flat k.595(all 3 mvts). I have listened to a lot of concerti, and here are my options:

Mozart Piano Concerto no.20 in d minor k.466
          Piano Concerto no.21 in C K.467
          Piano Concerto no.24 in c minor k.491
          Piano Concerto no.25 in C Major K.503
Beethoven Piano Concerti 1-4
Chopin Piano Concerti 1-2
Grieg Piano Concerto op.16
schumann concerto op.54
Ravel in G Major

So can you rank them in order of difficulty? Which ones require a longer time to master, and which ones are just "better"?  Which concerti give you a higher chance to advance in a regional concerto competition? Thanks for the replies. :)
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Re: What new concerto should I play?
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:34 AM
I would pick one of these based on your love for the music.  For me, nothing beats Beethoven #4.  Beethoven #3 is also a gem.  Based on a non-informed opinion:  I would say looking at only 3 on your list:

Schuman is easier than Beethoven #3 and Beethoven #4 is the hardest of these 3.

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:05 AM
I would pick one of these based on your love for the music.  For me, nothing beats Beethoven #4.  Beethoven #3 is also a gem.  Based on a non-informed opinion:  I would say looking at only 3 on your list:

Do you think I am ready for those concerti? Thank you for your quick reply.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:35:56 AM
Do you think I am ready for those concerti? Thank you for your quick reply.

It’s okay to ask others, but I would mainly rely on my teacher’s opinion to determine if a concerto is too difficult.  If your teacher put together this list for you, then you should be good with any of them.  Some of them sound pretty tough to me though like the Grieg.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 02:42:38 AM
I would pick one of these based on your love for the music.  For me, nothing beats Beethoven #4.  Beethoven #3 is also a gem.  Based on a non-informed opinion:  I would say looking at only 3 on your list:

I’m sure you looked up Henle difficulty for these.  In case you didn’t, here are a few:

Grieg – 7
Schumann – 7
Beethoven #3 – 6/7
Beethoven #4 – Couldn’t find, but I am GUESSING – 7
Chopin #1 – 7/8
Chopin #2 – 8

I’m a bad difficulty guesser!  I thought the Grieg would have been as hard as the Chopin :-X. If I took time to listen to a performance with score in hand and rate the difficulty of each section on a scale from 1 to 9 and then take a time weighted average of the difficulty levels, I might do better.

I still suggest playing the concerto you love the most if your teacher agrees that the concerto is appropriate for your level.  Sorry for not being more helpful!  :)

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:44 AM
So I gave the list to my teacher. She said the Chopin isn't too difficult. She also commented that Schumann may be a little bit hard because my hands aren't too big and schumann has chords. She also said beethoven concerti work. She didn't really say anything about the grieg. But is the grieg that hard? Thanks georgey
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert