Piano Forum logo
July 23, 2018, 11:47:22 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Scarlatti - Popular Keyboard Sonatas

What Scarlatti is most prominently remembered for are the 555 short keyboard sonatas originally labelled Essercizi (Exercises). When he died in Madrid, Scarlatti left this treasury of manuscripts, which were largely unplayed beyond Spain and Portugal until pianist Carl Czerny published a selection of the sonatas in 1839. 34 of the most popular sonatas have been added to Piano Street’s sheet music library which now contains 192 of the sonatas by Scarlatti. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Alkan, Live in Recital: Madwoman on Seashore, Allegro Barbaro, Dead Parrot!  (Read 368 times)
orangesodaking
PS Silver Member

« on: August 12, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »

Hello!! Here are three more Alkan presentations for you, live in concert: "Song of the Madwoman on the Seashore" from Preludes Op. 31, and Allegro Barbaro from 12 Etudes in all the Major Keys, Op. 35.

Also, I am a conducting student, so I asked eight of my talented friends to help me put together a performance of Alkan's most bizarre and humorous composition, Funeral March on the Death of a Parrot for SATB voices, three oboes, and bassoon. Here is a video of that, if you are interested.

Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
ronde_des_sylphes
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »

Very nice, and a good combination of pieces. I've in fact never head the Funeral March before, though I seem to recall Raymond Lewenthal sang bass on a recording of it!

Thanks for these!

orangesodaking
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:32:29 PM »

Very nice, and a good combination of pieces. I've in fact never head the Funeral March before, though I seem to recall Raymond Lewenthal sang bass on a recording of it!

Thanks for these!

He sang the bass mini-recit after the double-reed introduction, and he did it down an octave! But he had a chorus of opera singers, and the basses in the opera chorus sang the bass line. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: