Piano Forum logo
November 25, 2017, 04:03:54 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Bach - Transcriptions of Baroque Concertos

During his Weimar period, Johann Sebastian Bach composed a wealth of works. Among them are the 22 solo keyboard transcriptions of concertos by his Italian and German contemporaries: six for organ (BWV 592–596) and 16 for single-manual keyboard (BWV 972–987). The latter includes many famous baroque concertos by for example Vivaldi, Marcello and Telemann. This collection of 16 works is now available for download from Piano Street’s online sheet music library. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a playlist of music for Babies...  (Read 352 times)
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« on: October 02, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »

Greetings... I know - title is unlike anything I've asked about in the past. Anyway, long story short - I have a nephew who is almost 6 months old and was going to make a playlist of pieces of classical music that I'm going to record and give to my sister so she can play them for him - expose him to classical music - hopefully help the brain develop.

I'm after suggestions for calm, simple (not too ostentatious), melodic piano pieces that people think would be suitable - especially for very young kids.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

klavieronin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »

I'm sure you'll find a lot of suitable material in Takashi Yoshimatsu's Pleiades Dances.

Ravel's Pavane De La Belle Au Bois Dormant and Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte are both quite lovely (just don't tell your sister what that last one is called Grin).

Malcolm Arnold's Children's Suite also has some great pieces in it but it's a little harder to find the score for that one.

Norman Dello-Joio's Lyric Pieces For The Young also has some nice selections.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure the research says listening to classical music has negligible (if any) affect on cognitive development. I'd say it's still worth exposing young children to classical music if only to help them develope a taste for it but as far as brain development goes listening to classical music isn't going to achieve much. Exercise, good diet, and lots of interaction with people will have a far greater affect on brain development.
dogperson
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »

There have been many lists of classical music for babies compiled---  and readily available on the internet.  Do these not meet your needs? 
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »

I never really looked into it. This is just something I thought about 2 days ago, but I also wanted to record the pieces myself as a personal touch.

cimirro
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 01:18:25 AM »

I never really looked into it. This is just something I thought about 2 days ago, but I also wanted to record the pieces myself as a personal touch.

Curiously, some months ago a great friend told me he was going to be father, and his daughter will be called "Hadassa", so I made a small gift to him, which I called "Little Music Box to Hadassa" (Caixinha de música para Hadassa) and which is based on the notes H-A-D-A-S-S-A.
A miniature.
Here you have the score and recording
(it is published in my new CD by Acte Prealable - http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/new_ap0400.html )

SCORE
http://www.arturcimirro.com.br/CIMIRRO_Caixinha-de-musica-para-Hadassa.pdf

RECORDING
http://www.arturcimirro.com.br/24_CIMIRRO_caixinha-de-musica-para-hadassa.mp3

If you enjoy it and wish to use for your recording, you have my permission.

All the best
Artur

"Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong."
Winston Churchill
mjames
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 01:24:30 AM »

Sounds like the perfect job for Schoenberg and Berg.

Pianism is my religion, Bach is my God, and Chopin's my prophet.
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 03:25:13 AM »

Curiously, some months ago a great friend told me he was going to be father, and his daughter will be called "Hadassa", so I made a small gift to him, which I called "Little Music Box to Hadassa" (Caixinha de música para Hadassa) and which is based on the notes H-A-D-A-S-S-A.
A miniature.
Here you have the score and recording

SCORE
http://www.arturcimirro.com.br/CIMIRRO_Caixinha-de-musica-para-Hadassa.pdf

RECORDING
http://www.arturcimirro.com.br/24_CIMIRRO_caixinha-de-musica-para-hadassa.mp3

All the best
Artur

Wow... that's actually a very lovely melody. Thanks for that. Very sweet. The suspension at the end is interesting - I'm a sucker for resolution, but it's very lovely.

Sounds like the perfect job for Schoenberg and Berg.

Not even slightly funny. I said MELODIC and not too ostentatious.

dogperson
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »

I think it's really a lovely personal touch that you want to record the music yourself. My suggestion was to look at the playlists that are already out there as a method of helping you choose what you want to play.  I'm not sure if you want to include repertoire that would take some elbow grease, or that you could polish quickly.
ted
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »

You are welcome to use the three little tunes I posted here at various times. I used to write dozens of melodies when I was younger. Here they are, to save you looking them up. I have also just emailed you the scores, not that you need them with your ear.

* Farewell to Eros.mp3 (4212.41 KB - downloaded 6 times.)
* Christmas Rum.mp3 (3585.88 KB - downloaded 3 times.)
* As Once I Flew.mp3 (3181.5 KB - downloaded 4 times.)

"It's a caution, grandson !"  -  My grandmother's reaction to almost any issue of the day.
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »

I think it's really a lovely personal touch that you want to record the music yourself.

Thanks... I figured it would be a bit of a personal touch. How often does one get the chance to do this for his family.

I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find a few CD's already made, and then just play and record them.

mjames
PS Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »

Come on, I thought I was being hilarious! Fine fine since you're not the only one that complains about my attempts at humor, I'll make it up to you...well I'l try.

perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »

Come on, I thought I was being hilarious! Fine fine since you're not the only one that complains about my attempts at humor, I'll make it up to you...well I'l try.

I knew you meant it as a joke, but I think I just have a solid aversion to Schoenberg and Berg... I can't stand their music. Even some of Bartok is excruciatingly painful... example 1:

But that Chopin piece you posted certainly makes up for it. I've never actually heard it before. I've listened to all of Chopins Etudes, Ballads, Waltzes, Preludes and Scherzos, but never heard that beautiful piece.

ronde_des_sylphes
PS Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »

Brahms Intermezzo op 117/1 https://youtu.be/Zh5V28azOFw

mjames
PS Silver Member

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »

A baby wouldn't have much trouble falling asleep to a Schumann intermezzo that's for sure.

perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »

I've never heard Schumanns intermezzi - I'm going to have to look that up.

Brahms Intermezzo op 117/1 https://youtu.be/Zh5V28azOFw

That... is sensational. Absolutely beautiful. Middle bits a bit dark sounding but I like the opening.

georgey
PS Silver Member

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 01:00:54 AM »

Brahms - Geistliches Wiegenlied, Op. 91 No. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwbA9WIMQKk

beethovenfan01
PS Silver Member

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 01:21:24 AM »

How about Schubert? All his music is very melodic, and not horribly difficult. Look at his impromptus op. 90 and 142!

Auditioning to U of O school of music:
Bach WTC Bk 1 No. 10
Beethoven Op. 81a (I.)
Rachmaninoff Op. 32 No. 10
Future:
Liszt Wilde Jagd, Dante, HR 6
Chopin Ballade 3
Beethoven Op. 57
Prokofiev
worov
PS Silver Member

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »

Brahms ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: